Geocaching for schools

Hunters113

Hi there,

I am a school teacher (and keen geocacher) wanting to get the Geo/ Humanities dept at my school and the students into Geocaching. Great end of year activity! We wanted to place a few around the school grounds to get started.. or very close to school area.

Because I believe in the fun and importance of the social sides to Geocaching, and would like to include the etiquettes etc associated with the hobby into the program. I wanted to publish to a website rather than giving the kids lists of waypoints to instill responsibility etc... I wonder how we can locate locally at school, but open to the school students only.. initially at least.

Can I publish through this site so the students have to search, download etc.. but somehow 'lock' the caches for a start?

Looking for options here.. has anyone done this before?

Thanks, Debbie

Hi there,

I am a school teacher (and keen geocacher) wanting to get the Geo/ Humanities dept at my school and the students into Geocaching. Great end of year activity! We wanted to place a few around the school grounds to get started.. or very close to school area.

Because I believe in the fun and importance of the social sides to Geocaching, and would like to include the etiquettes etc associated with the hobby into the program. I wanted to publish to a website rather than giving the kids lists of waypoints to instill responsibility etc... I wonder how we can locate locally at school, but open to the school students only.. initially at least.

Can I publish through this site so the students have to search, download etc.. but somehow 'lock' the caches for a start?

Thanks, Debbie

My initial reaction to your question is that Geocaching.com does not publish PRIVATE Geocaches. I thought that linking you to the appropriate Knowledge Book article would be most appropriate, but I can't find any mention anywhere that this site will not publish PRIVATE listings. I'm still saying that you can't get them published, but I can't prove it.

There is a general prohibition against Geocache placements on or near School property. Here is the Knowledge Book text:

Geocaches are not placed on school property or military bases. Many primary, middle and secondary schools, as well as most military bases do not allow geocaching within their borders. Further, it is inadvisable to place geocaches near schools or military bases as the borders shown on a map may be inaccurate. Geocachers who are actively searching for a cache are likely to arouse suspicion in such environments, and we want to avoid this situation.

So even if you wanted to publish a PUBLIC listings at your school (even though you work at the school) it could be either complicated or denied. I would be surprised if local Australia guidelines differ from what I posted above. You could contact your local Reviewer for an official response. If nothing else I helped bump this back up the page for you.

Hi there,

Thanks, Debbie

Thought this may be the case.. Thanks for confirming..

I will have to sort internal beginnings and then venture them outside later on.. All good. Thanks for advice!

You could always create an account for your class and then get your class to build the listing. If you never submit it for review and hence it never gets published I don't think you'e going to fall foul of the "no caches in schools" rule.

They would then see the cache hiders side of things and an approximation of what the seachers would see of their hide.