WARNING: PayPal's not your friend!

LarsThorwald

Just a caution: I had to update my credit card info on the PayPal site this morning, and the minute I deleted the old card info I got an email telling me I'd just cancelled my Groundspeak membership! The PayPal "Help" site was anything but; their response was to tell me, yeah, I'd cancelled the membership, and I'd just have to start over again!

The good news: a call to Groundspeak - Jeremy himself, actually - had the problem rectified in about two minutes. But how many times do they want to go through that?

So what's my point? If you have to update, I'd suggest you activate your NEW card on the PayPal site first, THEN delete the old one. Good luck!

Charlie

"One should never begin a journey by heading in the wrong direction."

We've been discussing this issue. I think what we'll do on our end is check the date the subscription was issued and ignore any unsubscribe requests from Paypal if it is earlier than the subscription length. In the meantime if this happens to anyone else, let me know and I'll take care of it.

Jeremy Irish

Groundspeak - The Language of Location™

quote:
Originally posted by LarsThorwald:

So what's my point? If you have to update, I'd suggest you activate your NEW card on the PayPal site first, THEN delete the old one. Good luck!

Umm... not to be rude, but that should be obvious. If the system sees you delete your credit card, it would assume that you are no longer going to be able to fund the account that you are subscribed to - and it would/should cancel that subscription accordingly.

You can't really blame PayPal and give them angry faces when it was something that you did. PayPal is MY friend. icon_smile.gif I've used that service for a long long time, and I've never had any problems at all. I wouldn't have posted and said anything about this if you hadn't kinda given PayPal a lashing in the subject of your post. icon_wink.gif

flag.gif

The Toe Pages

quote:
Originally posted by Rubbertoe:

Umm... not to be rude, but that should be obvious. If the system sees you delete your credit card, it would assume that you are no longer going to be able to fund the account that you are subscribed to - and it would/should cancel that subscription accordingly.

Toe, I am going to have to disagree with you. Even if the system assumes that you are not going to be able to fund the account, that only applies to future transactions. If you already paid for a subscription for a given time period and decided during that time period that you are not going to renew, it should still be assumed that you want continue to receiving the subscription for the remainder of the time you paid for.

"We will add your biological and technological distinctiveness to our own. Your culture will adapt to service us. Resistance is futile. We are the Borg."

quote:
Originally posted by GoldKey:

Even if the system assumes that you are not going to be able to fund the account, that only applies to future transactions. If you already paid for a subscription for a given time period and decided during that time period that you are not going to renew, it should still be assumed that you want continue to receiving the subscription for the remainder of the time you paid for.

That was my point. Sorry if I wasn't more succinct!

Charlie

"One should never begin a journey by heading in the wrong direction."

quote:
Originally posted by GoldKey:

Toe, I am going to have to disagree with you. Even if the system assumes that you are not going to be able to fund the account, that only applies to future transactions. If you already paid for a subscription for a given time period and decided during that time period that you are not going to renew, it should still be assumed that you want continue to receiving the subscription for the remainder of the time you paid for.

Ahh - yeah, I can't disagree with that... I just assumed that would be more of a problem with the way Groundspeak handles it, rather than PayPal. I wish I could see the interface and some transaction history from the subcription provider's point of view.

I would think that if someone removes their card info, PayPal's automated stuff should send a notice to the subcription provider telling them the subscription has been canceled - I'd think it'd be up to the subscription provider to determine when the account should actually be deactivated.

Is PayPal more involved in the actual subscription starting/cancelling @ Groundspeak than I am assuming?

flag.gif

The Toe Pages

In an auxillary topic, how does one receive notice that there membership is about to expire. My membership is up in Feb.. Will I receive some type of notification. Since I can't get PayPal to accept my credit card, due to the number on the back of the card, I will have to use snail mail, or some other source.

Madog "Discover of America"

I just had to remove the credit card / bank account information that I've been using at PayPal - so I knew my subscription here would be cancelled as well... BUT - PayPal made it very clear what would happen if I removed that credit card.

In big bold red letters:

"Warning: You are removing the default payment method for one of your subscriptions. Removing it will automatically cancel the subscription. If you do not want the subscription to be cancelled, you may change your payment method by going to the "History" subtab of the "My Account" tab and selecting "subscriptions" from the drop-down menu. Click the Status of the subscription in question to go to the details page, where you may choose a new default payment method."

So, I don't have any problem with the way PayPal handles things... it is more of an issue of the way the memberships HERE are immediately cancelled without considering when the last payment was actually made. So, yell at Jeremey, not PayPal. icon_wink.gif

My next $3 was due at the beginning of Jan, so I pretty much just cancelled at the end of my regular month - so I'll probably be doing the $30 payment next time so I don't have to worry about it. icon_smile.gif

geobanana.gif

The Toe Pages