SUBMITTED (24896) - [FEATURE] Request for Private Profile Page

melissalep

there are no privacy concerns with the current information provided. It is historical and of no use to someone wanting to "Stalk".

With the current system, I can click on the users and look at the caches they found that day and plan the route accordingly. Nice little feature. Absolutely needed? No. Extremely useful, especially when going to an unfamiliar area? Without a doubt.

Usually stalkers check where people have been and gather all sorts of detailed information on their potential victims. Perhaps most people don't do that, but stalkers would find it to be extremely useful.

Can you imagine someone coming up and saying "oh I see you visited blah place on blah date at blah time, I was there yesterday and saw what you put in the cache, where are you going tomorrow?" I'm sure to many women, that would be creepy, and turn them off from caching. I have been stalked a few times, and know how some people delight in keeping notebooks of one's past activities.

Add me to the list of people wanting private information to NOT be blasted all over the internet.

Linking from a simple number of caches, to much more detailed information is not necessary. At least have the option of "do you want this number linked" yes/no would be helpful. So there are two issues (1) not putting private info in profiles and (2) not expanding (a number for example) to more private information elsewhere, unless by the choice of that member.

i just came across this article, it should put to rest the subject

How so? It's hardly an authoritative source.

right :rolleyes:

if you don't keep up with developments in your own country, you must at least be able to use google to verify it

The article you cited is in a student newspaper. Cherry picking is not verifying and sneering at people when they raise the issue is really uncalled for.

as i said before, you can use google to verify the facts...but i guess you're one of those that wants someone else to do the legwork for them

here, enjoy

http://news.cnet.com/8301-31921_3-20084939-281/house-panel-approves-broadened-isp-snooping-bill/

http://techland.time.com/2011/08/01/house-approves-data-mongering-isp-snooping-bill-and-what-that-means-for-you/

Usually stalkers check where people have been and gather all sorts of detailed information on their potential victims. Perhaps most people don't do that, but stalkers would find it to be extremely useful.

i absolutely disagree that is of any use in the case of geocahcing

perhaps the stalkers would have use from tracing back someone's steps if that person had a daily routine, not a random one

following them every day makes a lot more sense, but that is not possible to do with the information on one's profile

Can you imagine someone coming up and saying "oh I see you visited blah place on blah date at blah time, I was there yesterday and saw what you put in the cache, where are you going tomorrow?"

so? :unsure:

This forum is meant for bug reports and feature requests. Please take the privacy discussion offline or at least onto the general topics board.

Back on topic...should I start another FEATURE request for this suggestion, or is it sufficient as part of this discussion?:

Allow us to see who visited our profile. It would be just like PM caches where the CO gets an audited list of who visited the cache listing.

Can you imagine someone coming up and saying "oh I see you visited blah place on blah date at blah time, I was there yesterday and saw what you put in the cache, where are you going tomorrow?" I'm sure to many women, that would be creepy, and turn them off from caching. I have been stalked a few times, and know how some people delight in keeping notebooks of one's past activities.

Knowing the locations where a person was in the past, especially if they're not going to predictably return there again, is pretty much useless. The big issue in what you wrote above is how did that stalker/secret admirer* find out where that person was going to be. The cache history wouldn't have aided them any in that. More than likely they just followed that person home from an event and from that point you really don't need the cache history to keep track of them.

* If the person is ugly they're a stalker, if they're good looking they're a secret admirer.

This forum is meant for bug reports and feature requests. Please take the privacy discussion offline or at least onto the general topics board.

Read this after I posted my reply.

Back on topic. I don't see the point of hiding things on your profile page that are publicly visible elsewhere on the site.

Back on topic...should I start another FEATURE request for this suggestion, or is it sufficient as part of this discussion?:

Allow us to see who visited our profile. It would be just like PM caches where the CO gets an audited list of who visited the cache listing.

That's a completely separate request and should be posted separately.

I don't mind my logs being viewable on the cache page. I mind users being able to click on my name and see a list of cahces. It is causing me an issue. Thanks for the reply. I will be deleting my account. I am sorry GC.com will not create this feature. It seems simple. Just like you can not show stats, have it so my caches as a list does not show.

just out of curiosity and if you care to share, what issue is that?...i see you logged finds a couple of days ago

personally i would think that if someone had issues from their activities being visible to others first thing they would have done was to stop logging

Who do I contact to delete my account and cancel my membership?

accounts don't get deleted, you can just stop logging in

i would think contact@geocaching.com for your PM

I think this idea is a step in the right direction. I'd like to be able to control what parts of my profile that I decide that I am comfortable with making public. We can already do this with the Statistics tab. Why not make the entire profile function like that? On a similar note, I'd like to sign my children up and so that they have their own accounts but privacy, or the lack thereof, is big issue so I'm holding off until they are older.

I think this idea is a step in the right direction. I'd like to be able to control what parts of my profile that I decide that I am comfortable with making public. We can already do this with the Statistics tab. Why not make the entire profile function like that? On a similar note, I'd like to sign my children up and so that they have their own accounts but privacy, or the lack thereof, is big issue so I'm holding off until they are older.

+1 over here.

Make it so we have a choice. Only friends can see what you have done or make it a blanket issue: turn on privacy, turn off privacy.

If the choice is there, then you please both sides. :D