Help with GPS co-ordinates

Hedder

Hey there

Been caching for several months now, and I am having some trouble with my Garmin etrex Legend. I have placed 4 caches and each time, my co ordinates are out by approx 15-20m (according to the ones who have found it). Yet, when I go back, my gps reads what I have listed it as.

Same as seeking. I am always "out" by that approx distance. My units set up is to hddd mm.mmm. Is this correct?

I realise that not all gps' register the same, but this is becoming a consistent problem.

Thanks in advance!!!

Hey there

Been caching for several months now, and I am having some trouble with my Garmin etrex Legend. I have placed 4 caches and each time, my co ordinates are out by approx 15-20m (according to the ones who have found it). Yet, when I go back, my gps reads what I have listed it as.

Same as seeking. I am always "out" by that approx distance. My units set up is to hddd mm.mmm. Is this correct?

I realise that not all gps' register the same, but this is becoming a consistent problem.

Thanks in advance!!!

Another issue assuming that the datum is correct is how long you are waiting before marking the coordinates. If the GPS has an averaging option you should use it. If not you should allow the gps to sit at the coordinates for a few minutes before marking the coordinates to allow them to settle and be as accurate as possible.

That being said. I have also placed caches that people are saying the coordinates are off. I took a friend to them and asked him to verify my coordinates. His coordinates were within a 1-2 feet of what I had published. Different GPS receivers may have different accuracies. Other things that could have caused issues with accuracy are... Weather, Power lines, tree cover, and walls.

I hope this helps.