COINTEST: My Gotcha Day

Layla the GeoDog

4. What great geocaching story you got?

Having only been caching about 4 months, with not many finds not too many stories.

A location a little south of us had a Mega event in July. In September my mom, the two kids and I went down for a long weekend. There was this one cache called Hole in the Wall. It had taken forever to get fed supper in the restaurant so it was later than I had anticipated. We get to the hole in the wall just as dusk is really settling in.

About ten feet up the coulee is where the hole in the wall is.

DS being utterly fearless starts up gets to the whole, but can't reach the cache, he isn't strong enough to use my walking stick to finagle it out of the hole and down the cliff. He sits and slides back down.

I then decide I will try. One issue I am in croc flip flops. Not good on slippery moving coulee walls I go up and start sliding back faster than I had gone up. DS try's to stop me, I wipe him out, Dd tries to stop me and she just grabs air, and then my MOM, bless her heart, with a cast on her broken wrist, Goes to stop my out of control downward momentum, in order not to wipe her out I drop to my butt, knees, elbows, and stop just short of her.

By now it is pretty much pitch black. I tell the 11 yo DD to go up and use my walking stick to get the cache out of the whole, she did it with ease. But um my daughter can go UP almost anything, but she freaks at going DOWN anything.

Three of us standing at the bottom of this coulee with DD ten feet up refusing to come down. This goes on for 20 minutes, finally the earth starts to move, slide, and she is going with it no matter what. Not a happy 11 yo.

We then realize the cache is on the ground somewhere in the dark, this is when I realize the flashlight in the van is dead.

We find the cache, exchange the goodies, and DD takes one look at me and says I'm not putting it back. DS says he isn't either, by this time he is terrified. My Mom is out of the question. So that leaves me!

I make it about five feet up the coulee and try and see if my softball pitching from my younger days is still with me. I miss the hole the first time. Container rolls down hill. DS tries to throw it to me and misses, DD tries and misses, all the while I am precariously balanced. Mom at 75 WIRH a cast on her broken wrist tosses me the cache, I snag it, and toss it and yes it lands on the lip of the hole. I use my walking stick to push it in further, and then slide down the cliff.

So glad it wasn't an ammo can.

I bought headlamps the very next day.

I keep good gripping footwear in the van.

1. What “gotcha” into geocaching?

My grandson. When my daughter was pregnant she was going to be living in the city and I am thinking where will she take my grandson. I had heard of geocaching so I got on and back then geocaching was to bring others to places you thought was special. I found all kinds of places she could take my grandson so I felt much better after that.

2. How did you “gotcha” geocaching name?

We originally was menaceinme because our nephew used to call my husband Menace. When my grandson was born really early and was high risk he wasn't allowed to be around people but the doctor said we could take him geocaching. So him and his mother, my daughter, started caching with us, then my brother-in-law joined us and more family members joined us so we became Maine Family. Made so many wonderful memories and foudn so many fabulous places.

3. What “gotcha” into geocoins?

Winter in Maine is what got me into geocoins. When I first discovered geocoins it really didn't interest me. But then I discovered the geocoin forum and that is a wonderful site. That is what got me hooked on geocoins. I met a lot of wonderful people here, participated in Todie's Wild Ride, where I think we saved lives as well as spread awareness. Through my grandson, I have learned that a lot of the cons I have, teaches him about our National Parks, history, causes that are important to people. I have to say geocoins are so much more than shiny trinkets. I have a few that I have with me all the time because of the message on them. These things are what has kept me into geocoins. There is also ways of helping others here and that is always important to me.

We were researching some possible events to include in an adventure race our organization was holding. One of the members mentioned that a friend did geocaching and that it might be an event we could incorporate in some way. I got the assignment to check it out and after doing um, one cache, I was hooked.

the event for the race ended up more like a letterbox but it was too late, I had found my obsession for the future.

Here's our second entry!

Our name (and profile pic) comes from our adopted cat, Romeo. We got him from a local no-kill cat shelter right about the time that we started geocaching. Although, he doesn't come caching with us, he always loves to take a look at the coins and traveling items that visit us before continuing their journeys.

What gotch into geocoins??? that's like saying what gotcha into potato chips :) you don't always remember the first but you know that you can't stop.

I don't remember what the first coin is that I picked up but the first purchased ones was the 5 coin set of 2007 Dragonfly coins. I released the 4 colors but held the LE coin for my collection. That LE is the only one of the set remaining in play as the others went MIA. Always hopeful but not holding my breath that they resurface.

What "gotcha" into geocaching?

Actually, over the course of two years (2006-2008), we had read three articles in our local newspapers about geocaching. Since we love to travel, camp, hike, and we love all things electronic, we thought it sounded pretty cool and something in which we would be interested. However, it wasn't until February 2008 when some co-workers, who also happened to be geocacher, invited us to go camping with them. They did some caching over the weekend and spent some time explaining it to us, although we still didn't participate that weekend. When we got home, Stephen researched GPSr's and decided on the Garmin 60csx (which we still use).

Our first actual geocaching experience came in March of 2008, while on a camping vacation in Arizona. We were so disappointed that the first cache we found (GCB260) was totally destroyed. :( Not knowing any better, at the time, we tackled at 3/4 D/T cache. The climb/hike was pretty tough and rocky and the cache was hidden in a really tiny cave in between the rocks (did I mention - we're kinda old!). The container was completely demolished and the contents spread all over the place. There was a travel bug listed in the cache which, of course, wasn't there (it is still showing in the cache inventory today!).

Luckily, we found a number of other great caches on that trip, including our first virtual (our second find) and haven't stopped since!

Edited by steben6

How did you "gotcha" geocaching name?

We didn't know any better and we just signed up with our regular email name. "Steben6" came from Stephen's name (Stephen Benedict). We've thought, once or twice, about picking a new one that is easier to say (or makes some sense), but I can't be bothered changing the name on all our geocoins!

What "gotcha" into geocoins?

Kind of a sad story (for me anyway) brought geocoins to our attention. On our first caching trip in March 2008, there was a geocoin in one of the caches we found (I think it was our third or fourth cache). We didn't know anything about geocoins back then. We were so excited about geocaching at the beginning that we took a picture of every single cache we found - that lasted about two months (now we take pics of special ones). So, we had taken a picture of that cache and the coin was clearly in the picture. Since we didn't know anything about geocoins, we left it there. A week later, the CO emailed us and asked us if we had taken the coin and forgotten to log it. The coin had been muggled in that week :mad: and nobody else had logged it. We didn't even log the discovery on it 'cause we didn't know how. Even though we hadn't taken it, we felt really guilty that it had gone missing. I still think the CO thought we took it. We would never do that, and we log every trackable we come across faithfully. We are determined to do what we can to make sure TBs/geocoins are logged properly and moved, and we help others if they need help learning how to do that.

After learning about geocoins, we became obsessed (well, I did anyway...Stephen enjoys them but leaves the obsession up to me). I LOVE geocoins and get so discouraged that they go missing so often, as we thought that the traveling was such a neat part of the geocaching experience. After a couple of ours went missing, I started my collection, which has pretty much reached the obscene state now. So many of them are so beautiful that I don't want to lose them...so I pretty much take them to events for discovery. We still have a few out there traveling, and will put some out in the future...just not as many as we might have if everybody was honest about logging them!

I enjoy everything about geocoins and spend lots of time lurking on the geocoin forums. I've "met" so many nice people (on the geocoin forum) and have even won a couple of cointests recently. Which, of course, does not mean that I shouldn't win this one, too! :P

LAYLA,

it`s amazing to read all these story`zzz.......

don`t take part of thizzz cointest i just wanted to say that i`m so happy that you`re Gotcha day bring you by your lovely family.....

lotzzzzzz of love Lorca

p.s. give Riley and Molly and your mam lotzzz of smackie`zzz and thankz for these story`zzz

4. What great geocaching story do ya “got”?

One of the best caches I did was a mystery cache. The theme of the cache was about the movie „Dune“ and in the description beside some useless text you could see a picture of a priest standing in front of the sandworm.

Well, I don't want to spoil but first you had to find out what the puzzle is about and then you had to learn something about teletype-writing, install a special software and learn how to work with it. In the end it took me more than one and a half years to solve this puzzle. You can imagine how it felt when after hundreds of unsuccessful tries suddenly on my laptop a text appeared. You could read something like: congratulations...go to these coordinates...do this at your own risk...don't go alone...tell people were you are...don't go when it is raining or about to rain...bring your flashlight.

I went there together with 2 colleagues of mine and we found ourselves in front of the entrance of the canalization of our city were the collected rainwater and a very small redirected creek comes outside. The risk was very low because it didn't rain for weeks and the weather forecasts said sun the next days so just a little bit of water from the creek flew outside the tubes of about 2m diameter.

We had to go around 500 meters inside and were right under a very big street junction. We found the cache in the ceiling. It was such a great experience that I will never forget it.

First Gotcha:

It was late 2005 and I was watching an episode of "Law and Order" and the opening scene showed a lady hiking through the woods looking at a handheld device when she stopped. She knelt down and started searching around the area and she found a container. She opened it up and put in a trinket and surprise, she discovers a body. I was puzzled and set out to find out what she was doing. A little research online and I found out it was geocaching, it seemed interesting and I thought I'd try it. Almost six years later and I love it. It's a time to spend with the family in the great outdoors.

Second Gotcha:

The Skylark Four: Like many when we started we just picked a name and if we had to pick over we might choose differntly.

There are four of us (Me, my wife and our two children) that's where we get the Four. When I was youger I drove a 1977 Buick Skylark and actually still have the car but don't drive it.

Hence our name: The Skylark Four

Many great stories and adventures....even if I am just caching in my island....

Some were.... not so good... some even had accidents (like the last cache I found....) and some were amazingly great and funny! I have posted them in the forum again.... and I have some of the storiew in the online geocacher...

one of the greatest adventure and the funniest so far was this one..... I am copying the story from the OG.

Smelling... Caching Adventure

We wanted to find some caches at that day, so we wanted to be quick! There are not many caches in Rhodes, but they have some distance between them!

Anyway... We were going to Archangelos village, were it was a cache at a place called Profitis Ilias! Well, we knew that this place had a small church, and all the churches with that name are in mountains!

Unfortunately we didn't know where it was! We had never visited that place! I searched in books, and in the net, and found that there was a big festival and celebrations once a year when it was the name of the saint and it was quite famous for the villagers of all nearby villages and Archangelos of course!

So...it was going to be an easy find!!!!

HA!!! Only in our dreams!!!

When we arrived, we entered in the village and started searching for a sign or something, to help us find the way! Nothing!!! GPS was not helping us, we were very new with the GPS, so...

We took all roads in the village; we were making rounds...rounds... nothing!!!! We had to ask a local to help us!

To the first man we saw sitting, we stopped to ask him about this church! He was looking us strangely! Then he said...."sorry I am from Albania, I do not speak good Greek and I do not know"!!!!

Well...ok! Many foreigners are working in Rhodes!

We left from there and some minutes later, we saw 2 women sitting! We stopped to ask them but.... one was from Bulgaria and the other was from Russia!!!

Where were the Greeks?? We are in an island... how we passed the borders??

Then we saw a guy! We asked him but he was mute!!!! Can you believe that???? Someone was joking with us!!!

We decided to go in an other area of the village! There, we found a young girl (hmm... pretty too! ), we asked were the "Profitis Ilias" small church was, but she was sending us to Profitis Ilias in Salakos, an other village far away from Archangelos!!!

No, no! We said to her! There is a church here in Archangelos with that name! There is a big festival in his name day!!! Don't you know it???

- No! I never heard that before! She told us!

- Are you from here? We asked her! Well, we had already seen enough so...

She was from the village!!!

We were driving in the village trying to find a way for more than an hour! Maybe even more than 1:30 hours, so we were about to forget this cache! Then we saw 2 old women coming from the cemetery!!

Hey!!! They are old, they are from the village and they know about churches for sure!!!

Oh yes! They told us were to go!!!!!!!!

When we told them what we had been through they laughed!

- Are you from here or you are from an other place of Greece? They asked!

Oups! That question sounds familiar!!!

- We are from Rhodes! We do not know this church and we were told that it is in a nice place..... (Oh boy!!!)

The road didn't have a sign! We took it and saw that at the half of it was the place they used to throw their garbage!! A lovely place and ... At least they stopped...I think!

We continued our way up, to find the church at the top of the mountain! Jesus! The road was full of goat droppings!!! Ok there were many goats there but the road was almost black!!!

We went to the top and the view was excellent!!! The church was very old!

There were some locals there eating in the yard of the church! We continued to find the cache and we were careful not to be seen! They didn't see us because they were busy with their food!

The cache was an easy find! We logged quickly, we enjoyed the view and then we went to the church to light a candle!

There was an old woman in there! We spoke to her, and she started talking to us! She talked, talked...

then she asked us why we were there! We told her that we didn't know the place, and we accidentally found it!

- Oh! a lot of tourists are coming like that! She told us! They like going there! And showed us the area with the hidden cache!

We said nothing except that the view is fantastic there, so..

We thanked her and we were leaving but she wanted to give us food to eat! We didn't want and we politely told her that we were going to a tavern but she insisted!!!

She took a plate that was dirty, she cleaned (?) it with a dirty piece of cloth and put something inside!!!!

It was spaghetti with warmed goat milk and goat cheese in pieces (she cut the cheese with her hand). It smelt really bad! A sour thing was coming from the plate!

She was forcing us to eat!

I was looking at my sister, she was looking at my brother in law, and he was looking at me!!! Then were started looking at the plate!!! Who was going to be the hero????

Then we told her that we really had to leave, and she took the plate which was full in that kind of food, and put it in a used plastic bag, to take it with us!! We politely refused but...without any success! We told her...what about the plate?

- It is yours!

Ok! I admit she was extremely polite, but...

We put the plate in the car and left! Oh my.... The terrible smell was in the car now! I still remember that smell!

It was winter time, it was cold, but.... the smell was terrible, so we had to leave the windows open, otherwise we were going to faint from the smell!!!!!

Some kilometres away, we stopped and throw the food to some stray cats! At least the food was not wasted! There is only one thing that I did not understand! Why the cats ran away when they smell the food??!!?? No Joking!!!!

My brother in law went to clean the plate to return it in a later visit, but while he was cleaning it, the plate fell from his hand and broke! The leftovers of the food went on him and he was.....

We laughed so much!!!

Of course now we were facing another problem now....... My brother in law started smelling like a goat, but we couldn't do anything about it!!! .....After all he was the driver!!!

What a day!!!

*** you can read this and some others in greek and english here...

http://onlinegeocacher.com/issue/real_time/section/gatoulis__caching_stories

I found a travel express coin in one of the first caches we found. It wanted to travel the world, and I happened to be traveling across half the globe a few days later, so I brought it with me. Unfortunately, the cache I placed it in was muggled a while later. :( Anyway, I loved the idea of watching items travel. I started looking into buying some for myself. At first I wanted to find some to send out traveling, but I also found several that were way too pretty to send off. And then I started collecting...

i actually got started with smaller coins, not trackable at geocaching.com. having placed 4 or 5 geocaches that i called the chiro-caches, the chiro-cache not trackable at geocaching.com thingies lead to the development of my first personal trackable at geocaching.com geocoin, the chiro-cache coin....a chiropractic caduseus on one side, and geo-dogs Logan and Heineken on the other, all black on gold. the coins arrived about a week before geocoinfest at pittsburgh, and i was able to trade with people like yime, tsun, walkin' ed, and several others that are probably big names inthe geocoin world, but i had no idea at the time.

my next coin was part of a group coin called the jukebox top 50...we were able to pick out own color combinations and song titles...mine were glitter green and glitter yellow, song titles Kathy's Song, and i miss you.

the next coin was Kathy's Coin, followed by another group coin (pirate doubloon,) and the most recent not trackable at geocaching.com gwix coin.

i had hoped to establish a dog park here in st. marys in honor of my wife, but that project is now been put on hold until the city of st. marys is able to maintain the property after i would turn it over to them. it was my intention to introduce my next personal coin at the park's opening, but as soon as i can motivate myself to take some pictures necessary for the coin artwork, the coin will go into production...it will be a trade only coin, in a previous post i mentioned part of the coin's name would be "Kathy's Coin Too."

ILYK

I always like trying to find at least one cache in every country I go to now, and so far have found caches in 12 countries.

Over the summer I found caches in 4 countries in one day which is my personal record: Switzerland, Liechtenstein, Austria and Italy.

When I first started caching I was known as Yepdude, but after a while I decided to go with LewisClan77. That comes from when I was a kid going to Family Reunions. We were all know by my uncle Mike as the Lewis Clan. I made it one word and added the 77. The 77 comes from my birthday which is 7-7-77.

Thanks for the cointest.

I got a Caught Red Handed Geocoin as an FTF prize very early in my FTF Hound days. It was my first geocoin that I ever got. After that I bought a few here and there, but I didn't really get into them until I found this forum. I really liked how nice everyone is here and helpful unlike in some of the other forums on this site.

Thanks.

And for a funny story. I give you my log for this cache.

I have wanted to do this cache for along time. Yesterday was the day to do it. I found both stage 1 and 2. I didn't have enough time to complete it so I put it off until today. I got off early today and made my way to stage 3. I parked as close as I could get and made the walk to GZ. As soon as I got there I knew what had to be done. I tried to do it fully dressed but my pant leg went into the water up to the knee, so I decided on a different approach. I stripped down to my chonies and went for it. I found a fishing pole and reeled in a whopper. I wrote the final coords on my arm and headed back to solid ground. I can only imagine what the nearby fisherman was thinking. If only there was someone there with a camera, that picture would have made the GC.com homepage for sure. I put my clothes back on and entered the coords. I knew where I needed to go and made my way there. I got to the parking area and tried to find a way that was dry. That wasn't gonna happen, so I went back down to the chonies and into the water. It was a nice waist deep walk to the island where I was quickly greeted by a huge hissing goose that was protecting his girlfriend and their 2 eggs. I tried not to disturb them but their nest was right at GZ. Thedy were very angry with me so I was having a hard time searching. I had been there about 15 minutes when I heard a voice. I looked up to see the cache owner standing there with a look of amazement. Imagine this...You paddle out to an island to find a half naked man standing there with a GPS in his hand. Very Funny. Definitely my most bazzar encounter while caching. Once he realized it was me he asked if I had found it yet. I said that the geese weren't letting me look really good, so no I haven't. He said he thought it might be missing and pointed to where he hid it. I looked and found it right where he left it. I signed in and took Vinnys Nut and headed back to shore. As I was putting my boots back on I see Brad and Joe(MarshallOD) paddling around the island. We chatted for a bit before the headed back across the water. I jogged back around to my van and ran into Brad and Joe again. We chatted for a little bit more before I had to go.

TYVMFTC

PS. I am the first to complete this without the use of a watercraft.

NFL game is over and NE won. Cointest is over also. I really, really enjoyed reading all the entries and I'm glad I am using the random number generator as there is no way I could just choose. I plugged 2 and 78 into this site Random Number Generator

It spit out #52 Congrats to MaineFamily!

I want to post a screen shot of the generator but I'm not having any luck as I've never done it before. If somebody can tell me how to do it without turning off firefox I will post it. I'll just leave my browser open for awhile and hope that somebody can clue me in. LOL

Thanks to all who played!! I feel I know all of you a little better by reading your answers

Mom (LadyBee4t) said she hasn't had a cointest in awhile so I begged her to let me have one this time. You see this is my Gotcha Day! It seems like only yesterday but it was two years ago that I came home to live with Mom, Molly and Riley. She says I am sending her to the poor house but I know that she loves me cause she lets me sleep on the end of her bed. I just have to keep her on her toes is all. If you want to read my story how I came to live with mom I posted it in Molly's thread here…My Gotcha Day Story

I remember when your Mom brought you home and showed us your picture. I thank you for the fun of gotcha but tell your mom to sell the coin to help pay for the vet bill. It is the season of being thankful and I am thankful you were adopted by such a nice family, your mom, Molly and Riley. Hope this will help her pay down the bill and you all have a wonderful holiday season.

When we first heard about geocaching, we went to a local geocaching group who were presenting an introduction to caching class. At this session, we heard about "travelers" and "coins" but didn't really know what that meant. One of the attendees brought a binder filled with his personal collection. Our junior cacher (who was about 4 years old at the time) said he wanted to start a pirate treasure collection (meaning coins) so that's how we started. We both place coins in the wild and purchase a few here and there for our collection. We're building our collection slowly and hope to one day design our own personal coin.

In fact I've got two intertwined stories for you!

Through one of my geocoins' travels, I got in touch with a geocacher, KPA2. Turns out she's quite interested in my country, Norway (even learning the language - wow!) - and in geocoins too. We exhcanged lots of e-mails and traded coins. She wrote that she'll be happy to take me geocaching in New York if I visit there sometime.

A month or two later, I had to book a flight from Trinidad to Oslo - turned out that the best solution is a 17-hour stopover in New York!

KPA2 simply had to keep her promise - she picked me up at Newark and we raced around New York: Empire state building, Central Park, Times Square, etc etc etc. We did loads of geocaches and sightseeing! My head sure was spinning when counting faces for the virtual at the Museum of Art... :)

The second story is very related, because we started researching geocaches in Central park. I quickly came across the mystery series "It begins at the ... gate". A fantastic set of puzzles, cleverly allocated to something related next to each gate entering Central park.

Preparing for my journey, I started solving some of the puzzles. I came across a mystery that looked rather familiar - "It begins at the girls' gate". It uses a type of puzzle that I had used for one of my own mystery caches here in Oslo, Norway. Still, it wasn't quite the same, and I had to write the owner for a clue.

The owner responded quickly. He gave me a hint, but also told me that this very mystery cache was inspired by MY mystery cache in Oslo! He had seen it mentioned on a geocaching blog, and picked up the idea for one of the gates. Can you imagine how cool it was to get to log that particular Central Park geocache?

Its a bit of a sad story. Just a week or more then a year ago my mother-in-law passed. While we where down in NC for the funeral my wife's uncles took her and her brother out Goecaching. After hearing there tails of the hunt i went online to check it out. After reading a bit i instantly signed up. We had just purchased a Garmin Nuvi 1300 so off i went. It wasn't till a few days later when we got back home that i found my first cache.

A few weeks ago i went out to check on my cache. When i arrived at GZ i found the cache sitting just outside the hollow it was hiding in. No one had visited the cache in some time. SO i was pretty sure no person had moved the cache. I figured an animal had taken up refuge in the tree and pushed the cache out. While i was out there i went ahead and dropped off my first Geocoin into the cache to start its mission. I put the cache back into the hollow and covered the opening with a couple of rotting logs.

That night a new cache was posted near my home. I decided the newer cache would be a better way to my coin started on its journey. So the next day i went back out to my cache to retrieve my coin.

Arriving at the cache everything was exactly as i had left it the day before. I moved the logs aside to find that the cache was not there. At that point it kind of confirmed my thought about why the cache was out of place the day before. Not having the tools needed to verify if the cache was in fact deeper in the tree and not having enough time to do anything else i went home and disabled the cache.

A few days later i went out and purchased a mirror on a telescoping arm. Went out to the cache and looked around the corner of the inside of the tree. Sure enough the cache was back there. So i made doubly sure nothing else was in the hollow with it and grabbed the cache. I then relocated it to a near by hiding spot to allow any animal to have the tree hollow to themselves.

What “gotcha” into geocoins?

As of now, I only have two coins, A Mt. Rainier coin and a Cache Around The Clock coin. But I want more! :laughing:

I got the Mt. Rainier coin when I got my Hide A Cache kit and was hooked after that. The Cache Around The Clock coin was a gift from Mom when I made honor roll.

I found a Czech wood coin (non trackable) in the second cache I found and not knowing what it was I did a whole websearch looking for what it was. That lead me on to gecoins. After having found a few in caches I discovered this forum and I have been hooked since then. And as a craftsman and a designer myself it has pushed me to see as many as I can and have started my own collection (however small it is right now) and someday to have my own geocoin minted.

I have always had this desire to collect coins. I love looking at them and watch my collection gets bigger.

When I found my first geocaching coin in a cache and saw that I could buy coins, I could sent out into the world and track at geocaching.com I knew I was sold.

I only have one coin at the moment, but you have to start somewhere right? :laughing:

3. What gotcha into geocoins?

About a month after we started caching our city Geocachers had a picnic get-to-gether. The whole family attended.

The person that organized it had two binders there full of coins. For my obsessive compulsive DD seeing all those coins in one place, the variety, the shapes, the reasons, totally had her hooked. But then what should she spot but a Pooh Bear coin. Keeping in mind she has lived, breathed, Pooh Bear for ten years it was the hook that snagged the whale.

I appreciate art, so for me geocoins are an extension of that.

It looks to me like the above cachers have all cached less than a year and their collections are very small. Soooo for entering this cointest I will send you a consolation prize. I have a nontrackable seasonal Michigan coin I'd like to send each of you if you send me your address. I hope that I haven't missed any other newbie in this thread.

Mom (LadyBee4t) said she hasn't had a cointest in awhile so I begged her to let me have one this time. You see this is my Gotcha Day! It seems like only yesterday but it was two years ago that I came home to live with Mom, Molly and Riley. She says I am sending her to the poor house but I know that she loves me cause she lets me sleep on the end of her bed. I just have to keep her on her toes is all. If you want to read my story how I came to live with mom I posted it in Molly's thread here…My Gotcha Day Story

I remember when your Mom brought you home and showed us your picture. I thank you for the fun of gotcha but tell your mom to sell the coin to help pay for the vet bill. It is the season of being thankful and I am thankful you were adopted by such a nice family, your mom, Molly and Riley. Hope this will help her pay down the bill and you all have a wonderful holiday season.

Thanks so much! You are a doll and a true friend. I send you virtual hugs and Layla sends her puppy dog kisses and slobber. :lol:

Thanks everyone for entering and telling us something about yourself!!!! But I still don't know how to post a screenshot. :P

Thanks for the cointest and congrats to the winners.

Thanks everyone for entering and telling us something about yourself!!!! But I still don't know how to post a screenshot. :P [/font][/size][/b]

If you use Vista, there is a very useful tool called the snipping tool. It allows you to "snip" any part of the screen you want. It stores it in your pictures so you can post it like a pic.

Thanks everyone for entering and telling us something about yourself!!!! But I still don't know how to post a screenshot. :P [/font][/size][/b]

If you use Vista, there is a very useful tool called the snipping tool. It allows you to "snip" any part of the screen you want. It stores it in your pictures so you can post it like a pic.

I use the firefox browser and have XP on the desktop and Windows 7 on the laptop. I should check the laptop and see if there is something like that there. Thanks!

I use the firefox browser and have XP on the desktop and Windows 7 on the laptop. I should check the laptop and see if there is something like that there. Thanks!

We use IE and Windows 7 and it has the snipping tool as well. It's great for grabbing pictures off the screen!

As of now, I only have two coins, A Mt. Rainier coin and a Cache Around The Clock coin. But I want more! :laughing:

I got the Mt. Rainier coin when I got my Hide A Cache kit and was hooked after that. The Cache Around The Clock coin was a gift from Mom when I made honor roll.

I found a Czech wood coin (non trackable) in the second cache I found and not knowing what it was I did a whole websearch looking for what it was. That lead me on to gecoins. After having found a few in caches I discovered this forum and I have been hooked since then. And as a craftsman and a designer myself it has pushed me to see as many as I can and have started my own collection (however small it is right now) and someday to have my own geocoin minted.

I have always had this desire to collect coins. I love looking at them and watch my collection gets bigger.

When I found my first geocaching coin in a cache and saw that I could buy coins, I could sent out into the world and track at geocaching.com I knew I was sold.

I only have one coin at the moment, but you have to start somewhere right? :laughing:

About a month after we started caching our city Geocachers had a picnic get-to-gether. The whole family attended.

The person that organized it had two binders there full of coins. For my obsessive compulsive DD seeing all those coins in one place, the variety, the shapes, the reasons, totally had her hooked. But then what should she spot but a Pooh Bear coin. Keeping in mind she has lived, breathed, Pooh Bear for ten years it was the hook that snagged the whale.

It looks to me like the above cachers have all cached less than a year and their collections are very small. Soooo for entering this cointest I will send you a consolation prize. I have a nontrackable seasonal Michigan coin I'd like to send each of you if you send me your address. I hope that I haven't missed any other newbie in this thread.

Thanks so much! You are a doll and a true friend. I send you virtual hugs and Layla sends her puppy dog kisses and slobber. :lol:

Thanks everyone for entering and telling us something about yourself!!!! But I still don't know how to post a screenshot. :P

Thank you for a great cointest and I would love a seasonal Michigan coin, that would be amazing!

Email sent:-D

Oh wow thats great, Thanks LadyBee4T for the cointest and the "consolation" prize. This will be the very first thing I have won on the forum so it will have pride of place in my collection.

Email sent. :)