COINTEST: My Gotcha Day

Layla the GeoDog

Mom (LadyBee4t) said she hasn’t had a cointest in awhile so I begged her to let me have one this time. You see this is my Gotcha Day! It seems like only yesterday but it was two years ago that I came home to live with Mom, Molly and Riley. She says I am sending her to the poor house but I know that she loves me cause she lets me sleep on the end of her bed. I just have to keep her on her toes is all. If you want to read my story how I came to live with mom I posted it in Molly’s thread here…My Gotcha Day Story

How do you win? Well here is what I want to hear

1. What “gotcha” into geocaching?

2. How did you “gotcha” geocaching name?

3. What “gotcha” into geocoins?

4. What great geocaching story do ya “got”?

Everybody can answer each one of these questions only once. You can put them all in one post but if you do then you don’t have as many chances to win. You can answer each of those questions once so if the answers are posted in separate posts everyone has 4 chances to win. Mom will use a random number generator to choose the winner and the winner will get some fine coin from Mom. Only posts with one of these questions answered can win. I hope to hear a lot of new caching stories!!

You can answer them all in one day if you like too but remember separate posts for each gives you more chances to win. Cointest ends Sunday November 13 after the NFL football game ends so we’ll say around midnight EST.

There probably should be some rules so if I think of some later I will add them. Since there isn’t any guessing at all you can edit your posts if you need too.

So now I will sit back and learn more about all my friends here that mom talks about all the time!

Edited by Eartha

Happy Gotcha Day, Layla! My geodog, Lucky's is in just two days! Anyways, here is my entry.

I have an uncle who's younger than me (long story!) and he did it at camp. He kept telling me about it while I was visiting him in Maine so we decided to go visit one that he had already found. We had no GPS and it took us a while and during that whole time I kept thinking about how it must be as scam. But then we finally found the ammo can. I was amazed...and, well, the rest is history! I went home, found some caches of my own near home and now I'm hooked! Everyday after school I ask mom to go geocaching. And everyday she says no, we go on Saturday.

I'm an avid young hunter/jumper rider. I still ride ponies, who are infamous for the "pony-tude" which "my" li'l girl, Andi surely has! She's a crazy pony so the name CrazyPony seemed perfect.

As of now, I only have two coins. A Mt. Rainier coin and a Cache Around The Clock coin. But I want more! :laughing: I got the Mt. Rainier coin when I got my Hide A Cache kit and was hooked after that. The Cache Around The Clock coin was a gift from Mom when I made honor roll.

My favorite geocaching experience was when I met up with fellow cacher, hunterKat while looking for Historic Hermon (GC2TGM1). I only had 5 finds at that point and had never moved along a bug. hunterKat and I made the find together and then sat and talked for a while about our experiences. She also gave my a little TB to move along.

Those are great and just what I am looking for!! But put each one in a separate post so you have four entries. The random number generator will give me a number and that will be the post number that wins.

Happy Gotcha Day, Layla! My geodog, Lucky's is in just two days! Anyways, here is my entry.

I have an uncle who's younger than me (long story!) and he did it at camp. He kept telling me about it while I was visiting him in Maine so we decided to go visit one that he had already found. We had no GPS and it took us a while and during that whole time I kept thinking about how it must be as scam. But then we finally found the ammo can. I was amazed...and, well, the rest is history! I went home, found some caches of my own near home and now I'm hooked! Everyday after school I ask mom to go geocaching. And everyday she says no, we go on Saturday.

I'm an avid young hunter/jumper rider. I still ride ponies, who are infamous for the "pony-tude" which "my" li'l girl, Andi surely has! She's a crazy pony so the name CrazyPony seemed perfect.

As of now, I only have two coins. A Mt. Rainier coin and a Cache Around The Clock coin. But I want more! :laughing: I got the Mt. Rainier coin when I got my Hide A Cache kit and was hooked after that. The Cache Around The Clock coin was a gift from Mom when I made honor roll.

My favorite geocaching experience was when I met up with fellow cacher, hunterKat while looking for Historic Hermon (GC2TGM1). I only had 5 finds at that point and had never moved along a bug. hunterKat and I made the find together and then sat and talked for a while about our experiences. She also gave my a little TB to move along.

Those are great and just what I am looking for!! But put each one in a separate post so you have four entries. The random number generator will give me a number and that will be the post number that wins.

Oh! Okay! Here is one...

What “gotcha” into geocaching?

How did you “gotcha” geocaching name?

I'm an avid young hunter/jumper rider. I still ride ponies, who are infamous for their "pony-tude" which "my" li'l girl, Andi surely has! She's a crazy pony so the name CrazyPony seemed perfect. It is also a little ode to my first crazy pony, Junior. He had the dirty little trick where duck his head down and send you flying... I learned so much from him! After all, a bad pony (or a crazy one!) makes a good rider. :wub:

What “gotcha” into geocoins?

As of now, I only have two coins, A Mt. Rainier coin and a Cache Around The Clock coin. But I want more! :laughing:

I got the Mt. Rainier coin when I got my Hide A Cache kit and was hooked after that. The Cache Around The Clock coin was a gift from Mom when I made honor roll.

Edited by CrazyPony

What great geocaching story do ya “got”?

My favorite geocaching experience/story was when I met up with fellow cacher, hunterKat while looking for Historic Hermon (GC2TGM1). I only had 5 finds (she had over 800!) at that point and had never moved along a bug. hunterKat and I made the find together and then sat and talked for a while about our experiences. She also gave my a little TB to move along.

Oh!!! Thank you my friend and your "mother" of course for this lovely cointest!

I will start with the first question....

when I was a child... I used to play the treasure hunter with my friends! According to a real story (Yes! Real!!!) there was a dragon in Rhodes living very close to my house... in the medieval times...! back then... the area didn't have many houses... or had none... there were only ancient ruins, cave sanctuaries and the whole area was almost like a swamp...from stopped water etc...

anyway... the dragon was killed back in the medieval times.... yes it existed but in the 1800's they realized that its scull was from probably from a huge crocodile..that arrived in Rhodes island after surviving from a shipwreak.. (the ship has wild animals for the kings of other places in Europe... if you had animals likethat you could show.. that you were rich and powerfull..)

anyway...We used to go to these caves and search for the dragon's treasure! :laughing: of course... none found anything! the crocodily didn't like money! :laughing:

years passed and everything was forgoten! as a coin and banknote collector I was searching in the net and especially in ebay to find a nice original and cheap coin for my collection... or a banknote... or unusual coins.... mostly from greece... (nope... no ancients!!!)while I was searching I saw a strange medal or token... I have never seen before! in its title it had... 2007 the first greek geocoin...

what was that??? It was very pretty and looked like the 50 drachma coin we had before euros.... but it was colored... WOW!

I saw the site's address and entered to see what this coin was.... Geo coin??? I saw that there was a game called geocaching! I found it quite interesting and to be honest... it became more interesting when I realised that there were caches in my island and one was extremelly close to my house!!!! Ok... I was seeing "crazy tourists" in places that were not supposed to be... but my mind never went in something like that! After some time... I became a geocacher... and I was the only local crazy searcher! :laughing: My mind went back to the time I was a child... treasure hunter... but this time... there was something to find!!! :D

The first tries were a little hard without a GPS... but when my brother in law bought a portable navigator to help him on the roads... things became easier... ok...our GPS is not very accurate but.. it is ok.. :) we bacame a team under my codename.... me, my brother in law, my sister, my father... and sometimes my mother..... we enjoy it and we also found amazing places in my island that we didn't even know that existed!!! In some of them... we go for a pic-nic too! :laughing:

Well... I wrote too much right?

I know that most of this post answered your 3rd question too... but... I will write more in that one.... later... ;)

once again thank you for the great cointest!!! :D

Here's our answer to the first question. Thanks!

We started geocaching when our jr cacher was 4-years-old. By having a geocache (treasure!) to look forwards to, he is willing to go on longer hikes and wants to go on more family adventures. We also take our geo-dog whenever possible (and he now has his own traveling log-my-dog tag on his collar).

1. What Gotcha into Geocaching?

I am the trial chair for an agility trial and our judge did search and rescue work as well as geocaching. He told me about it and I went home that night and signed up. We went out and looked for our first couple of caches (that were buried in snow banks we found out later) and didn't find them. We almost gave up but A friend of ours also geocached (unknown to us) so we all went out on whim one night and found out first couple of urban caches. We then took a day long cache hike in a park with geodog Kaylee and found 9 out of 10 we hunted for and were hooked!

What great geocaching story do ya “got”

My geocaching story is a non-official one! After my husband realized that I was hooked on geocaching and geocoins he got 4 different containers (PVC pipe, key hide, ammo can, and lock N lock plastic container) and hid them on our property for my birthday (in a multicache format) with the last one containing a happy birthday personalized geocoin for my 30th birthday! It was super sweet.

What great geocaching story do ya “got”

My geocaching story is a non-official one! After my husband realized that I was hooked on geocaching and geocoins he got 4 different containers (PVC pipe, key hide, ammo can, and lock N lock plastic container) and hid them on our property for my birthday (in a multicache format) with the last one containing a happy birthday personalized geocoin for my 30th birthday! It was super sweet.

Awwww! Wood Woof!

1. What Gotcha into Geocaching?

I grew up on the island of Cyprus and have since moved country. My parents still live there, so back in May I was over for a visit and while checking my facebook account I read a comment posted by a mate of mine in the UK to one of his friends. It read something like " not sure if I should thank you or curse you for introducing me to geocaching.....I'm now an addict :P "

As the curious guy I am and that I had never heard of geocaching I looked up the website. While browsing GC.com I found the Beta map and thought "Lets type in the name of my parents village, bet there isnt one on the island even". How wrong I was, not only was there about 400 caches on the island but there were two in the village. One being about 250 meters from our house! So with the help of google satellite maps and my own knowledge of the area I found my first cache.....after that there was no stopping me :)

I found a Czech wood coin (non trackable) in the second cache I found and not knowing what it was I did a whole websearch looking for what it was. That lead me on to gecoins. After having found a few in caches I discovered this forum and I have been hooked since then. And as a craftsman and a designer myself it has pushed me to see as many as I can and have started my own collection (however small it is right now) and someday to have my own geocoin minted.

3. What great geocaching story do ya “got”

My wife and I decided to leave our son with his grandparents for a day and take the ferry over to Helsinki to cache for the day. After a few hours we wanted something a bit more exciting so took the water taxi to Suomenlinna island as there are quite a few caches there. Apart from it being a beautiful place some of the caches are quite challenging. We were about half way through our day when we reached the next cache site where there stood 4 huge cannons. My first comment was I bet its in the barrel of one of these. My wife replied that it was way too high and it couldnt be there. After 45 minutes of searching every inch of the 4 cannons I came back to my first thought. So while my wife was taking photos the other way I quickly shot up the back of the cannon and crawled right to the top end on the barrel and, yes, there was the cache. At this moment two things happened. 1. I realised that the little kid in me had never gone away and was back for good :P and 2. my wife turned round and got the photo of me that you see as my avatar pic.

My mum first heard of it in 2006 while studying GIS and made an account then, but at the time we lived in Kenya and there weren't any around and eventually forgot about it.

When we moved to Switzerland she heard about it again and told me about it, and a few days later we went to find the closest one to our house. Now I try to find caches whenever I can, and try to find at least one cache in each country I visit.

I first found a coin in one of the first few caches I found (2008 March GCC - The Blarney Coin). It wasn't logged into the cache and we found it loose in the bag the cache was wrapped in.

Since then I've always liked finding caches with trackables (especially coins) and seeing where they've been and moving them on. Shortly after that I bought my first coin (Crake's Tracking Time Geocoin) and then started collecting them. And then a few months after that I'd started designing my first coin (Something Fishy Geocoin) which was also part of my final year university project.

My code name means male kitten in a sweet way in greek language....

I like cats a lot... of course I like dogs too! I just never had a change to have one... but my uncle has and when I go to the island he is living... :)

anyway... my girlfriend loves cats too! she actually adores them! so... he started sayin that I am her beloved Gatoulis! :laughing: (no! in other things I am a bigger cat! hahahahaha :anibad: )

while I was registered in geocoaching... I didn't know which codename I shall use... in greek forums for coins I have a different one... but I wanted to change it here...

while I was scratching my head trying to find how I will be called.... my girlfriend called me and said... Γατούλη μου τι κάνεις; (How are you Gatoulis??)hahahahaha that was it! From that time I became the GATOULIS!

Of course when I was registered I didn't know that capital letters meant that you are yelling... and I was registered like that! I can not change it now... and I am sorry.... but trust me I am not yelling at you! I am just saying meow! :laughing:

I had a new Android phone, I downloaded GeoBeagle by random, and got curious. When I found a cache just 40 meters from my house, I immediately had to go for it. Loved the treasure hunt, the discovery of something secret, and later - visiting and learning about new places, as well as the exercise that I get.

Thanks for the cointest!

My brother in law told us about geocaching because he did it once with a friend. I was very interested and when we went to holidays with our son a few years ago I decided to print out 4 caches which were close to the place we stayed. We did all 4 and we were hooked. From that time on we find more than 4 caches in our holidays for sure :lol:

Long time ago I was looking for a nickname for the eplace. I tried hundreds of names and combinations but everything was already taken. A colleague of mine has a Japanese wife and from her we knew the Japanese word for our family name. I tried it with an extension and I was registered. From that day on I use yanagi as a nickname in the internet very often.

In our very first cache we found a geocoin (a Dutch 2005 - would love to get one) and I was very fascinated. Later, when I searched for some travellers on the eplace I was impressed by all the nice coins there. One of my favorites were immediately the compass roses and I bought one of the 2006 and 2007 version (at that time the prices were much more reasonable). For sure I didn't want to let them go into the wild. it was the start of my addiction!

As I mentioned in my post 1, I am here one of you... becasue of a geocoin! :)

I admit it was love from the first sight! And it was the first coin I bought too!

when I started gon for geocaching... in my second cache find I saw the first coin traveller! I didn't know much about it... and by asking etc... I became a friend with the owners of the coin! they sent me one like the one I found in the cache as a present! I have it too and I adore it! Well... that's how I started with geocoins and well.. you know my addiction to coinests too! :laughing:

My friend got me into it after a trip to The US, she could not talk about anything else. So after talking about it for some time I went with her to find my first cache.

Now 4 months later I'm the one calling her, to get her to come out geocaching with me.

I just can't stop and it's a wonderful way to get some fresh air.

I love it!

My name is Mysteriousrose

I really like roses so that's easy to explain, the mysterious part came because I started a book blog where I reviewed a lot of mystery books. The funny thing was I'm from Denmark and almost everytime I should write a review, I would need the word mysterious and I really had a difficult time spelling it right. So at one point this became my alias and now I'll never forget how to spell it;-)

(I hoped that made sense).

I have always had this desire to collect coins. I love looking at them and watch my collection gets bigger.

When I found my first geocaching coin in a cache and saw that I could buy coins, I could sent out into the world and track at geocaching.com I knew I was sold.

I only have one coin at the moment, but you have to start somewhere right? :laughing:

I found a geocache in the woods but I hadn't been there before and when I had to get back, I had forgotten which way to go.

Luckily I had my dog with me and I said to her "Can you find the car?" Suddently she took off (if I got to far behind she would stop and wait for me). After about 10 min. I was save inside the car again.

"Bonita" (my dog) is now with me on a lot of my geo-adventures.

Well Layla, I had read about geocaching more than a year earlier and it sounded fun. But I didn't own a gps. During a group hike, one member brought two cache page printouts to try to locate some caches along the hike route from the page information. We looked and was able to find one of the caches from the hint. I returned alone the following day and located the other cache.

When I signed up for the previously mentioned hiking group, the internet names I had used prior were already taken. So I took one of the names we had used on score sheets while playing board games and cards as a family. Since I was hiking during my first geocaching adventure, that was the name I used to sign up for my geocaching account.

This is going to be difficult to split into 4 posts, especially since for me, 1 and 3 are directly related, but here goes!

1. What gotcha into geocaching?

The short answer is geocoins : ) But I guess I should also say, when I started geocaching I was unemployed, and for personal (and traumatic) reasons, I was giving myself a loooong break before I would start looking for a job again. OK, maybe the personaly reason make up the story. Everyone has the worst job, but my previous employer was so abusive, just about all his ex-employees AND the department of labor were involved in various lawsuits with him! It doesn't help that I had a work related injury on the premises, and he said I couldn't report it to Workers Comp. So I needed time to heal, both from the mental and emotional abuse he laid on all of us, and physically from my permanent knee injury. I was so depressed over my knee injury. I was recovering VERY slowly in the beginning, so at that point I really believed I would never walk without pain again, and any social life I had was over.

But another hobby indirectly led me to geocoins, which didn't interest me much at the time but DID make me wonder what geocaching was. So I looked it up, thought it sounded interesting enough to enter my zip code, and saw many nearby! I don't know why I picked one 7 miles away from home to go after, but I guess it was a good choice as I had no GPSr at the time. The CO posted a picture of where to park and stated what direction to head in. The hint he gave looked like it would stick out like a sore thumb (Concrete Block). But there were many concrete blocks, so it was not so easy as I thought it would be. But I found it!

I bought a Garmin eTrex on the way home, and that was it! It kept me from vegetating on the couch the whole time I was recovering, it got me to walk more, and climb more, and crawl more, and basically do stuff I didn't think I could do again. So, geocaching came along at the right time for me!

Edited by guinea gal

I have collected elongated coins, “squished pennies”, for a long time. I love them so much, I bought my own penny press. I was looking to add another die to my press and researched die engravers online. Many of them also advertised also making “geocoins”. Curiosity finally got the better of me. I looked up geocaching, see post #41, and probably about a year after I got into geocaching, I came back to investigating geocoins. I have only made one, but still collect them, and I love them : )

That ones difficult. With permanent knee limitations, I don't exactly try the difficult caches. The story I love telling most often was going after a hydrocache that a friend hid in the Adirondaks, at the time that the geothief was still on the loose. There were a few hydrocaches in the area, and they seemed to stick around longer than the other traditional caches. Also, this friend taunted me and my friends and said we would NEVER go after his hydrocache!

So I brought a swimsuit, water socks and a pair of swim goggles and me and my two friends drove out to where the cache was. I should say that I am not a great swimmer, and I have never done a hydrocache before. But it didn't sound too difficult. It was a watertight water bottle tied to a large rock in a lake just off the road. There was a small island about a thousand feet off the side of the road. The directions were to start at point A, swim to halfway between the island and the road, and start diving. The water was only 8 feet deep. One of us was recovering from eye surgery, the other one didn't know we were embarking on this adventure and was unprepared, so it was only me going out. We had a long length of rope and measured it out to exactly half the distance to the island, and I looped it around my arm. The idea was, I certainly wouldn't know what half way was, so when I ran out of rope-that was it, start looking. The directions said to unhook the cache from the rocks, but tie something else floatable to it so that you could relocate it after you swam to shore, signed it, and swam back again. So, we were going to hook the rope to that too. Sounded perfect.

Except that rocks are heavy. As I said, I am not a great swimmer and certainly not an endurance swimmer! It took me awhile to get out that far, especially trying not to lose the rope around my shoulder. And that was the EASY part! I treaded water forever trying to locate that bottle. I did finally locate it, but by then I was so exhausted, I needed a break. So I floated for about 5 minutes, then had to relocate the bottle again. Found it. Tried to dive for it. But my fat butt wouldn't let me go very far under water! Sooo.... I tried grabbing it between my feet and pulling it up to where I could grab it with my hands. It seemed hopeless, but on the 3rd try-I got it! I held it up, everyone on shore started to cheer (we had gathered a small crowd at that point), and then I started to sink. No amount of treading (one handed) was keeping me afloat with the cache still attached to the rock, and I couldn't stay afloat long enough to make the switch. The folks on shore didn't see that I was having trouble, so I yelled “Pull!”

And they pulled! I still had to tread to keep my head above water, but they brought me in quickly and cheered! So Yay for the rope we had pre-cut! Still don't know how I got it back out after that, except I was better rested going in then bringing it up after swimming/treading for 20 minutes! The geothief has since stolen that cache, but he has also been caught : )

1) what gotcha into geocaching?

Last June my girl guide age 11 and my boy scout age 8 discovered that there were badges available for their camping blankets. A friend had told me about how much her autistic son loved it. She also told me of a iPhone app I could try for free.

So on June 26, 2011 we headed out to the closest cache to our house. 11 yo in a sundress, 8 yo in shorts, me in capris. The first cache called Urban Oasis meant it was deep inside the only thicket of bushes, trees, rosebushes, in the neighborhood. The excitement of the kids was visible, as were the scratches and blood. We found the cache, signed the log, traded the goodies. The kids "liked" it but I was hooked. Surprising, to everyone that knows me.

As time went on Dd was hooked when she realized that badges were put in caches. Unfortunately my 8yo son with Aspergers has come to detest it. He totally melts down just hearing the word geocaching.

Both kids did get their badges for their camping blankets.

The whole idea of finding TBs and geocoins in caches and moving them to other caches was exciting. Coming across the occasional geocoin and getting the opportunity to study the beautiful details in hand especially. It took a long time for me to actually purchase some though. The Celtic Tree of Life tipped me over the edge--I had to get one! Yet hesitation cause me to miss the original ordering of those, too, so my first purchase was a different coin. When the TOL coins were offered on remint soon after, I did not make that mistake twice!

2. How did you "gotcha" geocaching name?

Team Pixos

Team because geocaching was going to be an activity done by the entire family. Unfortunately Dad, and son don't care for it at all. Daughter likes it. I though am hooked.

Pixos - they are a toy, a very very annoying toy, an annoying toy my sister took great glee in giving my kids. Oh I digress. Pixos are little round balls, about the size of a pin head. You make a design, spritz it with water, the little balls grow get sticky, stick to each other then dry stuck to each other. Did I mention how annoying these little things are?

They get everywhere! Step on one and ouch, find them in your bed, everywhere.

The kids got to pick the team name. They thought of many things. But thought if our name was the same as something they could leave in s cache as swag we would be easily remembered. I thought that was a brilliant idea.

Well really I thought it was brilliant that we would be getting rid of the Pixos all the time. Totally brilliant.

Team Pixos

3. What gotcha into geocoins?

About a month after we started caching our city Geocachers had a picnic get-to-gether. The whole family attended.

The person that organized it had two binders there full of coins. For my obsessive compulsive DD seeing all those coins in one place, the variety, the shapes, the reasons, totally had her hooked. But then what should she spot but a Pooh Bear coin. Keeping in mind she has lived, breathed, Pooh Bear for ten years it was the hook that snagged the whale.

I appreciate art, so for me geocoins are an extension of that.