Stickers

The Growler

What are people's opinions on stickers? I understand that if you have a group of accounts caching together then a sticker with "London cache mob" or similar etc. might speed things up a bit and actually take up less room than everyone signing the log. However, what really gets my goat is people putting stickers ON my cache containers as well as signing the log. Tonight I have had to remove yet another offensive sticker on a micro cache that the cacher signed. Why did he feel it necessary to deface my property? What is the point of doing so? I know he has visited via the logbook so why deface my cache? I might have need to reuse the cache and then the last thing I want is for loads of stickers all over it. I just fail to see the need to do this and I actually find it disrespectful to the CO.

RANT OVER <_<

We have put a sticker on the underside of the lid of a container on quite a few occasions. This has always been when the log is either unusable, unobtainable or missing altogether. Cant think of a reason why I would put a sticker on a container if it had a perfectly adequate log book available. I'm sure this is a relatively isolated incident and providing all cachers don't start this practice, I'm sure your container will be perfectly useable for future hides. May be you could drop the cacher in question an email to ask him why he did it or politely ask him to just put a sticker in the log book in future?

Of the thousends of Geocachers on this forum, I find your thread ;) Yeah I see where you are coming from on this, When i did the chilten 100 with cassandy and melray we used stickers, we put them on the log book, mainly for speed, but to sign the log then put a sticker on your container, i don't really see the point! Another thing which annoys me is putting cards saying "found by ***** TFTC' "you've signed the log I know you've found it' I would make some cards if I was going abroad saying " found by an Essex Geocacher UK" or something, but not for a cache in my area. I suppose everyone plays differenty, but i can't see the point! :(

What are people's opinions on stickers? I understand that if you have a group of accounts caching together then a sticker with "London cache mob" or similar etc. might speed things up a bit and actually take up less room than everyone signing the log. However, what really gets my goat is people putting stickers ON my cache containers as well as signing the log. Tonight I have had to remove yet another offensive sticker on a micro cache that the cacher signed. Why did he feel it necessary to deface my property? What is the point of doing so? I know he has visited via the logbook so why deface my cache? I might have need to reuse the cache and then the last thing I want is for loads of stickers all over it. I just fail to see the need to do this and I actually find it disrespectful to the CO.

RANT OVER <_<

Honestly, "offensive sticker", "deface my property"? Are you serious? Is putting a sticker on a sandwich box really in the same league as spray-painting your house?

I don't see a lot of point in signing a log and also leaving a sticker but if something as inoffensive as a sticker causes you so much distress then perhaps hiding caches isn't a good idea for you.

Our stickers are tiny, the same size as a line on a micro logsheet. Obviously, if the logbook is any smaller, we just write, 'TH'. I agree, we have seen some that are just ridiculous and take up far too much room.

When we place caches, we leave them wide open to different kinds of mishandling... Not being hidden adequately, lids not closed properly, logbooks being crushed or carelessly replaced, to name but a few. I guess the stickerfest could be envisaged as mishandling. Personally, it wouldn't (and doesn't) bother me when the odd cacher puts a sticker on the container, providing its integrity isn't compromised. As long as cachers close the lid properly and hide it effectively, that suffices for us. I do understand you but as I said, the only way to prevent this happening by the cacher in question, is to e mail them and ask them to kindly refrain.

My caches are all Earthcaches, so don't suffer from the sticker problem, or the calling card problem like owners of physical caches :) but when I'm finding caches, I get fed up with containers stuffed with calling cards and stickers. It seems to be a lazy way of logging a cache to me (although if the logbook is big enough I do use an ink stamp to supplement my written log).

How long does it take to write your name and a comment in a logbook?

Chris

Honestly, "offensive sticker", "deface my property"? Are you serious? Is putting a sticker on a sandwich box really in the same league as spray-painting your house?

I don't see a lot of point in signing a log and also leaving a sticker but if something as inoffensive as a sticker causes you so much distress then perhaps hiding caches isn't a good idea for you.

Did I say it was in the same league as spray-painting a house? NO

Did I say it was causing distress? NO

Is it disrespectful to the cache owner? YES

Is it a bizarre practice in the first place? DEFINITELY

So why did you come to this thread? Trolling perhaps?

Edited by Bendos

Sorry I don't see that myself.

But lets face it not as bizarre as trekking through mud/brambles/herds of cows/etc looking for a plastic box :)

Personally I don't have a problem with it, and I don't know whether any of my caches have any stickers on them because I don't look for them, but if I found any stickers I would leave them there as part of the caches unique history.

The only sticker I remember seeing is a particular little flowerpot which I'm always pleased to see when I open a cache 'cos it's quite a nice sticker and I instantly know the 'he' has been there before me.

Edited by MartyBartfast

If the cacher was leaving offensive messages or purposely damaging your cache, I would say that most people would find that disrespectful. Personally, I don't think the heinous crime of sticking a sticker on a container is disrespectful. You clearly do though and as you said, 'it gets my goat'. May be you could try posting a note on all your caches to say you would prefer it if people didn't do it?

I agree with MB, if I found a sticker on one of my containers, providing it wasn't detrimental to its integrity, it would stay there for reasons of posterity.

Amongst all the differing opinions and interpretation of etiquette (which I welcome) can someone please just explain WHY people are doing this? I am really struggling with the motivation for doing it in the first place.

"When you find the cache, sign the logbook and return it to the cache. You can take an item from the cache if you like - just make sure to leave something of equal or greater value in its place. When you are finished, put the cache back exactly as you found it, even if you think you see a better spot for it. Finally, visit the cache page to log your find and share your experience with others."

Have I missed something? It just baffles me...... :unsure::huh:

Amongst all the differing opinions and interpretation of etiquette (which I welcome) can someone please just explain WHY people are doing this? I am really struggling with the motivation for doing it in the first place.

"When you find the cache, sign the logbook and return it to the cache. You can take an item from the cache if you like - just make sure to leave something of equal or greater value in its place. When you are finished, put the cache back exactly as you found it, even if you think you see a better spot for it. Finally, visit the cache page to log your find and share your experience with others."

I'll say again......To find an answer to that question, you need to contact the cacher who instigated :laughing: stickergate :laughing: in the first place. We cannot answer for him/her.

You're clearly upset about it or you wouldn't be talking about "offensive stickers" or "defacing your property". My point is that if something so trivial causes you the kind of upset to use language like that then perhaps you'd be better off taking part in something that didn't involve the vagaries of interacting with other people who might not behave precisely as you would like them to.

How exactly is it disrespectful to the cache owner?

Definitely a bizarre practice? And hunting sandwich boxes under dead trees for fun isn't bizarre?

In a similar vein I could ask why you started the thread with a bunch of vague assertions and apparent indignation at something so trivial.

Took the words right out of my mouth! (Although far better phrased)

If you look at caching as the modern version of Letterboxing, where finders of the Letterbox would 'Stamp' the log with their personalized stamp, the modern equivalent is a ready printed label.

IF there's a 'personalized' picture, it's a bit like the stamp...

IF it just says TFTC, why not just write TFTC!

As for sticking it on the outside of the cache :blink: , or in the logs for micro/nano caches :huh: ...

Like most things, there's a time and a place for everything! :)

Edited by Bear and Ragged

Unfortunately if everybody used stickers or calling cards and placed them in a cache the box would become so full there would be no room for all that quality 'swag'

1 - What Swag? :unsure:

2 - Why isn't the owner doing maintenance?

A nice big ammo can shouldn't fill up that quickly... Obviously if you only place a micro/nano it will require more maintenance to change the log, and remove the calling cards. :P

Unfortunately if everybody used stickers or calling cards and placed them in a cache the box would become so full there would be no room for all that quality 'swag'

1 - What Swag? :unsure:

2 - Why isn't the owner doing maintenance?

A nice big ammo can shouldn't fill up that quickly... Obviously if you only place a micro/nano it will require more maintenance to change the log, and remove the calling cards. :P

I'm with you. My subtle sarcasm probably didnt come across as obviously in print.

You're clearly upset about it or you wouldn't be talking about "offensive stickers" or "defacing your property".

Ah. I forget, you are also Psychic.
My point is that if something so trivial causes you the kind of upset to use language like that then perhaps you'd be better off taking part in something that didn't involve the vagaries of interacting with other people who might not behave precisely as you would like them to.
You really are a pompous **** aren't you! lol

How is it not? Perhaps I'll spray paint your house. Is that disrespectful? No, if there is a game where you do that, then it's fine. OK? Give me the coords for your house.

Definitely a bizarre practice? And hunting sandwich boxes under dead trees for fun isn't bizarre?

Perhaps but there are rules/guidelines and they are not being followed. More to the point, IF SOMETHING MIGHT UPSET/IRRITATE/IRK/ANNOY people then why do it? What are you trying to do? Once again you have yet to defend the practice but have merely trolled on this thread. You have seemingly wanted to wind me up rather than discuss the issue in a mature manner. You have offered no justification for these actions (which I would have accepted if reasoned). Good bye troll

In a similar vein I could ask why you started the thread with a bunch of vague assertions and apparent indignation at something so trivial.

Vague assertions? Please show me the "vague assertion" from the initial post.

You're clearly upset about it or you wouldn't be talking about "offensive stickers" or "defacing your property".

Ah. I forget, you are also Psychic.
My point is that if something so trivial causes you the kind of upset to use language like that then perhaps you'd be better off taking part in something that didn't involve the vagaries of interacting with other people who might not behave precisely as you would like them to.
You really are a pompous **** aren't you! lol

How is it not? Perhaps I'll spray paint your house. Is that disrespectful? No, if there is a game where you do that, then it's fine. OK? Give me the coords for your house.

Perhaps but there are rules/guidelines and they are not being followed. More to the point, IF SOMETHING MIGHT UPSET/IRRITATE/IRK/ANNOY people then why do it? What are you trying to do? Once again you have yet to defend the practice but have merely trolled on this thread. You have seemingly wanted to wind me up rather than discuss the issue in a mature manner. You have offered no justification for these actions (which I would have accepted if reasoned). Good bye troll

Vague assertions? Please show me the "vague assertion" from the initial post.

You've royally fouled up the quote tags there so I hope I address all your posts. Aside from throwing around insults like candy (which does little more than make you look very foolish) you still don't seem to get the point I'm trying to make here.

You still haven't said why you consider it so disrespectful to the cache owner other than to insist that it is because, well, it is.

You still haven't said why you consider it bizarre - all I can glean from your little tirade is that it troubles you for reasons that are less than entirely clear and that alone makes it bizarre and unacceptable.

Your argument that "if something might upset/irritate/irk/annoy people then why do it" falls flat in so many ways it's just not funny. It might upset someone to leave a sandwich box under a dead tree in the forest so perhaps we'd better not do that. I couldn't park my car outside my house this morning so I parked it outside my next door neighbour's house. That might have upset him but I did it anyway, it was the closest space to my own house. Perhaps people leaving caches should leave a slip of paper in them so people finding them know exactly what behaviour the owner considers acceptable so they don't inadvertently cause so much distress by doing something as reckless as leaving a sticker behind. Hey, even writing this reply might upset you so perhaps I shouldn't have bothered. Perhaps you shouldn't have posted your previous response on the basis it might have upset me. Where do you draw the line once you start on a silly path?

I also had to chuckle at "Once again you have yet to defend the practise". You were the one who started what is little more than a rant so perhaps you could clarify what it is you find so offensive about stickers. Ironically you, the one who accused me of not "discuss(ing) the issue in a mature manner", are the one who has so quickly resorted to throwing insults around. Does insulting someone who disagrees with you count as "mature discussion" these days? It certainly doesn't seem to fall under "if it might upset/irritate/irk/annoy people don't do it".

If I ever get around to the cache hides I've got in mind I really couldn't care less if people leave stickers on them or in them. I don't feel the need to justify an activity I consider harmless any more than I feel the need to justify geocaching in the first place. If you want to claim something is unacceptable perhaps you could start with some specific reasons why it troubles you.

Tut, tut...such a fuss.

It just wouldn't do if we were all the same, had the same likes and dislikes, did (or) didn't do the same things. Live and let live. Personally I don't like stickers, and therefore wouldn't use them, BUT, who am I to suggest that everyone else should stop using them. Just my opinion, no discussion required as to whether you share or disagree with what I think.

You want to know what I really don't like... RULES. Not 'rules' in general, but the kind of rules made just for the sake of making rules.

Enjoy your hobby, and sod everyone elses opinion.., and good geocaching. Don't make it complicated!

can someone please just explain WHY people are doing this?

Because it's quicker to stick them inside the container than take the log out of the bag... unravel the log to find the right spot... stick the sticker there... roll the log back up again... put it back in the bag and replace the cache. That will be the reason why! We use stickers, but always stick them in the log (if space permits) and never on the container except for one time when the log was simply too wet for anything to be put on it. We don't really use stickers to save time anyway, just because they are fun as ours are custom ones that I designed. Most of the time it takes me longer to find the strip of stickers in my pocket than it would have done to just scribble in the log! :laughing: