"81" Grid has gone from Complete to Incomplete!

kayakers2

We completed our "81" D/T Rating Combination chart quite a while ago but recently we updated our profile & found that one rating has gone AWOL! Upon investigation we discovered that we only had one 4.5/3.0 D/T rated cache find & that rating has subsequently been changed to a 2.5/3.0 combination. Yikes!!

We initially planned a vacation around this cache 230 km from home because we knew it would be one step closer to achieving our goal of 81 different rating combinations. Upon full completion of the grid several weeks later we logged a number of challenge caches which we then qualified for.

After contacting the cache owner we fully understand the reasons behind his changes & sympathize with his plight.

However, the blank spot in our "81" grid is of concern.

Has this ever happened to anyone else?

Do we now back peddle on the challenges completed? NOT! We feel we earned the right to log these as finds.

I guess the only logical solution is to go out & get another 4.5/3.0 D/T rated cache....easier said than done!

There are 29 like rated caches within 500 km of our home....24 of which are puzzle caches....not doable as we are unlikely to solve these in our lifetime!

Okay, enough whining & start searching....treat it as just another geocache challenge.

Yep, it happens.

I briefly had a full grid, but now notice no 1 terrain 4.5 difficulty. Oh well.

I'm fine with the cache owner altering ratings. They're for cachers who are thinking about seeking the cache. Conditions change.

I'd have many wholes in my grid if the D/T ratings were corrected to something more realistic (particularly across the 4.5 and 5 difficulty rows).

When I update the MyFinds database in GSAK, i only import "new", and don't overwrite older finds. This way, in GSAK, my finds show up on the cache as it existed when I found it. Not that there aren't some wildly wrong D/T combos there...

Its happened to us on more than one occasion and its frustrating because like you we've driven hundreds of km's or vacationed around target caches that are changed after the fact :( I can't stand to see the hole in our grid (double or single)so I've always gone out and redone another combination of that D/T just to fill the hole. If you use GSAK you can lock the caches as you found them but the statistics grid on gc.com still shows the hole. I don't think its necessary to back out of the challenges you've completed since you met the requirement at the time you logged it. I used to be a challenge "nut" going for all the hard challenges but since having things like happen that are completely out of my control I no longer work on challenge caches and choose to set personal goals for myself instead.

Mrs T.

Yes, ratings get changed.

If you've already logged a smiley for a challenge before the ratings were changed, then I see no reason to delete your smiley. It was completed at the time you logged your "Found It." For your own satisfaction, however, you might want to go find a new cache to fill in your grid's gap. Just be glad this is a relatively easy gap to fill.

If you haven't yet logged a smiley for the challenge cache, then you might to check with the challenge owner to see what they deem acceptable. Personally, though, I wouldn't ask for an exception since I don't feel the challenge is completed yet.

It is the CO's prerogative to change the D/T rating any time they wish. They own the listing.

I recommend contacting the challenge cache owner and explain the situation. They will most likely accept the find at the original rating. Especially since the change was made in good faith. And you made your find in good faith.

In the Tequila 81 forum, I have documented a few caches that were changed by the CO after T81 was published. I accept those caches at the original rating.

Although, I agree with Canadian Rockies and recommend you find an alternate if it is reasonably possible.

I also agree with Shiloh and recommend you create a separate GSAK database that reflects the ratings at the time you found the cache.

One other suggestion: Use as many archived caches as possible when presenting your grid. Archived caches don't typically have their ratings changed. Although there was an incident where a CO changed the rating and immediately archived it.

D/T ratings were never invented to accommodate challenge caches. It has been an evolution and ratings changes is a hazard of the challenge game.

Kinda makes the "caching for stats and numbers" sort of irrelevant doesn't it?

With that logic isn't finding geocaches just as irrelevant? They'll all be archived sooner or later anyways. There's something more to it than just the find. You have a history of your finds on the site and when a cache gets archived you still get to keep your find along with it's log entry.

Unfortunately the site doesn't grab a complete picture of your find. It would be nice if it would record the coordinates, size and D/T ratings of the cache the moment you log it. This would make keeping your own stats more accurate and even let the site generate its stats much quicker and easier.

Caching for stats and numbers is a good way to get people out of their comfort zone. We've had numerous adventures all because of stats and numbers. So have a lot of other people.

Kinda makes the "caching for stats and numbers" sort of irrelevant doesn't it?

With that logic isn't finding geocaches just as irrelevant? They'll all be archived sooner or later anyways. There's something more to it than just the find. You have a history of your finds on the site and when a cache gets archived you still get to keep your find along with it's log entry.

Unfortunately the site doesn't grab a complete picture of your find. It would be nice if it would record the coordinates, size and D/T ratings of the cache the moment you log it. This would make keeping your own stats more accurate and even let the site generate its stats much quicker and easier.

Caching for stats and numbers is a good way to get people out of their comfort zone. We've had numerous adventures all because of stats and numbers. So have a lot of other people.

And I have gotten two bottles of Tequila out of it. :)

That reminds me, when's the reunion event? :omnomnom:

I couldn't get it published. Tequila is a business name. And there was another cache within 160 meters of the location. And I was too busy watching Seinfeld episodes with Dr. House.

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Actually, I just never got around to it. I guess we have to plan for next year. I still have the Tequila. I just don't have Tequila anymore. :(

That reminds me, when's the reunion event? :omnomnom:

I couldn't get it published. Tequila is a business name. And there was another cache within 160 meters of the location. And I was too busy watching Seinfeld episodes with Dr. House.

Well if you do it before Dec 31, it could be an Organized Group Hunt. Say, 81 caches on the bookmark list......

Actually, I just never got around to it. I guess we have to plan for next year. I still have the Tequila. I just don't have Tequila anymore.

Sorry to hear that Tequila, I would say your "81" is now really not complete. I know how much pooches add to the experience, I'm really sorry to hear about you loosing yours. :(

Actually, I just never got around to it. I guess we have to plan for next year. I still have the Tequila. I just don't have Tequila anymore.

Sorry to hear that Tequila, I would say your "81" is now really not complete. I know how much pooches add to the experience, I'm really sorry to hear about you loosing yours. :(

Thanks Jeff. I appreciate the kind words.

He had a great life. He took me all across the U.S. and as far away as Switzerland. And we made a million friends.