Search the description of caches.

Sissy-n-CR

Has the ability to search the cache descriptions been brought up before?

I know with GPS you can search in that file, but what I'm wondering is searching for a key word in ALL the caches. Say I'm looking for railroad related caches to send a TB to, I could search on words; railroad, train, locomotive, etc.

CR

72057_2000.gif

quote:
Originally posted by Sissy-n-CR:

Has the ability to search the cache descriptions been brought up before?

I know with GPS you can search in that file, but what I'm wondering is searching for a key word in ALL the caches. Say I'm looking for railroad related caches to send a TB to, I could search on words; railroad, train, locomotive, etc.

CR

http://img.Groundspeak.com/user/72057_2000.gif

I think it has come up before, Markwell?

It would be nice to search the whole description instead of just the title, but I'm guessing there are resources issues involved.

For now, I use Google's Advanced Search options, and limit it to only searching geocaching.com for my search terms. That get all but the most recent caches, usually.

Tae-Kwon-Leap is not a path to a door, but a road leading forever towards the horizon.

It has been brought up before. I know it has. But the only reference I could quickly find was this short topic with no replies.

One of the problems Jeremy would have to overcome is that the system (I believe) searches over information on the database, not by the website output. If I use html in my cache description to underline that this cache would be "accessible by boat" with the html of "accessible by boat", and the searchers use the phrase "accessible by boat", would the cache show?

I'm not saying that's the only reason, or that this problem couldn't be overcome, but you might do better using the google search. It might be interesting to have Jeremy provide a link to Google with the "site:geocaching.com" prefilled...

Markwell

Chicago Geocaching

Similarly, I'd like to be able to search the log entries. Why? Well, for one example, I found a Ratbert in this cache that I'm sure I'd left in a different cache, and I left him later somewhere else. He was never intended to be a travel bug, but I wish I knew who picked him up, where from, and where I'd left him.

"I'm sure she would have been thrilled to find so much pooh in a little metal box."