Wishing

I wish there was a way we could block our caches from people who only complain in the logs.

Ok so the coords are off. Its a SEARCHING game. The whole point is to look for it. Most coords arent off by miles. How many of you go to ground zero and stay at ground zero and then blast the owner because OMG you had to actually LOOK for it.

Ok so the log is wet. You know that stuff called paper most of us have in our cars? Does your religion forbid you to get an old receipt and fold it in half and replace a wet log?

OK so the container is messed up. Is it there? Did you find it? Guess what you won! Thats all there is to this game. Look. find. win.

Geocaching is not going to crash to the ground if someone doesnt sign a log.

Geocaching is not going to crash to the ground if someone keeps your bug for more than a day or two.

It is really THAT big a deal to just archive a cache until someone gets to it?

MUST we complain and be rude?

We have SOOOOOOO many rules forced upon us. Everywhere we go people force silly rules on us and get mad if you dont obey them. I had someone tell me once I was cheating because I didnt sign a log. No cheating would be if I didnt find it and said and did. Which I dont do but what if I did? Who would I be cheating but myself??? Its soooo silly to be so completely anal about a game!

Honeslty people PLEASE lighten up. I am an insanely nice person. I am the kind of person who goes poor for making others rich. I have way too many animals and ive let way too many people live in my house and ive given money to people I prob shouldnt have. I hardly ever go geocaching without three bags with me. One that is full of great swag of all different shapes and sizes, one full of already made geocaches and one full of supplies... bags, paper, containers, labels, tape, rubber bands.... Can we PLEASE play nice? (I wont even go into detail about the psycho stalker I picked up last year through this game.)

Please consider others feelings when you post. You can never be too nice. Use a smiley. :lol:

And if we cant do that then can someone PLEASE make a block function because life is just way too short to have to deal with grouchy people.

OK im done. :D :D :D :D :D

Ok so the coords are off. Its a SEARCHING game. The whole point is to look for it. Most coords arent off by miles. How many of you go to ground zero and stay at ground zero and then blast the owner because OMG you had to actually LOOK for it.

This is a game about using a GPSr to find the hidden object. Coords are supposed to be accurate. More than 40' off and I'll complain too!

Practically, how would your suggested "Block Function" work? It would somehow filter out logs from people who post anything other than positive info? How would the software even know unless it had some sort of AI that is beyond Google and the CIA at this point?

Maybe cachers could select the tone of their own logs from "positive" or "helpful" or "critique" or "just mean" and the cache owner could then filter out what they don't like. But then, what if the guy writing the mean thing thinks he's just being helpful? What if the guy really is mean and to be extra mean he labeled his mean post as "positive"? How could anybody stop that?

Hope it all works out for ya though...

Edited by GeotaggedBloger

Um, if coords are off, the container is messed up, or the log is wet on one of my caches, I very much want people to post that, and I would go fix it.bi

who wants to open a container thats moldy because of the wet contents inside? I would want people to tell me about it as well.

Interesting, remarks about broken container, wet logs and/or coords off and the OP thinks that is complaining?

Yes it is an easy-going game with guidelines instead of rules. At the same point in time, most of this game hinges on integral responsibility, part of which is that the CO is notified of those situations and takes care the problem.

This is just a rant, a rant decorated with flowers, but a rant none-the-less.

Just how does one "archive a cache until someone gets to it?" Archival is pretty much permanent.

Not gonna touch the other stuff -- flowers are makin' me sneeze.

Since one of the points of online logs is to update the owner about the condition of his cache, how do you draw the line between informing the owner of issues and complaining?

If the coords are far off I will mention it in my log. If the logbook is wet I will mention it in my log. If the container is damaged or leaking I will mention it in my log. And as a cache owner I hope others will do the same when they find my caches. It helps me as a cache owner to know that a cache of mine needs attention. I can't imagine why a cache owner would NOT want to know about this stuff.

Edited by briansnat

As a cache owner, I appreciate it when a log informs me that paper is wet or the container is damaged. I don't view them as complaints, they are doing me a favor by letting me know. I don't expect them to fix or replace it for me. That's not their responsibility, its mine as a cache owner.

This past weekend I found a cache that was 150 feet from the posted coordinates. I certainly complained about that. I expect coords to be off 20 to 30 feet, but 150 is unacceptable and deserving of a complaint.

I agree that the CO needs to be informed about issues with the cache. The logs are supposed to be about our experience. If it was a bad experience with one of my caches (I only have 6 currently), then I want to know because I want my caches to be fun, informative, or challenging. I will change it or archive it.

Log notes, just like email or any other written form of communication, have to be written with care. You cannot read sarcasm, attitude, humor, etc, into written word. It must be denoted somewhere.

My teenage son just said to me yesterday. I always assume you are upset with me when you send me a text that doesn't have LOL in it. I told him, I'm not upset, just passing along information or needing information.

Never assume someone is angry or upset in the logs. They are just passing on information that we should have.

So I guess after widening out the search to 250 feet I find a mangled gladware container containing moldy plush toy, a golf ball covered is some sort of greenish black gunk and greyish lump of something I think might be the log and a few other scraps of pre-paper mache I should write a log about how wonderful you cache is and how much fun I had tromping through the underbrush looking for it? Your lucky if all you get is a TFTC. Oh, yes, I could not pour the water out because it runs out the cracked bottom by itself, which is good because there is no lid in sight. I ran your OP through the babel fish and it came back "I wish others would maintain my caches and post good coordinates".

I did look at some of the logs on your caches. The archived ones I noticed you just don't bother with the NM logs and don't even do anything when the Prime Reviewer drops a note. Some folks keep posting the correct coordinates and you don't take action. Good grief, they did all the work all you have to do is a simple edit.

Edited by jholly

I wish there was a way we could block our caches from people who only complain in the logs.

Your coords need to be accurate. Inaccurate coords lead to landscape destruction and frustration. This is more of a technology based game than a 'searching' game. This game is about the GPS. (Hence the GEO in geocaching). The game is no fun if you are nowhere near GZ because the CO is too lazy to care about the game.

Ok so the log is wet. You know that stuff called paper most of us have in our cars? Does your religion forbid you to get an old receipt and fold it in half and replace a wet log?

I don't carry extra paper with me when I'm hiking. Yeah, it would be nice. But if I brought with me every thing I needed to fix the caches of inattentive and lazy COs, then I wouldn't be able to cache far. My car is usually nowhere near where I cache. I park, begin my hike, and make it back to my car about 5-7 hours later.

This is YOUR cache. Fix it. Mushy,wet logs are gross. The point of the game is to find something and then sign the log. The game existed before you. Play by the rules. It's not really that hard, is it?

OK so the container is messed up. Is it there? Did you find it? Guess what you won! Thats all there is to this game. Look. find. win.

Geocaching is not going to crash to the ground if someone keeps your bug for more than a day or two.

What is the point of your geocache if it's a messed up hunk of junk just tossed out in the woods with no real rules, inaccurate coords, and they contents are a mess? What do you, the CO, get out of it, and what do we, the finders, get out of it?

We have SOOOOOOO many rules forced upon us. Everywhere we go people force silly rules on us and get mad if you dont obey them. I had someone tell me once I was cheating because I didnt sign a log. No cheating would be if I didnt find it and said and did. Which I dont do but what if I did? Who would I be cheating but myself??? Its soooo silly to be so completely anal about a game!

Honeslty people PLEASE lighten up. I am an insanely nice person. I am the kind of person who goes poor for making others rich. I have way too many animals and ive let way too many people live in my house and ive given money to people I prob shouldnt have. I hardly ever go geocaching without three bags with me. One that is full of great swag of all different shapes and sizes, one full of already made geocaches and one full of supplies... bags, paper, containers, labels, tape, rubber bands.... Can we PLEASE play nice? (I wont even go into detail about the psycho stalker I picked up last year through this game.)

Please consider others feelings when you post. You can never be too nice. Use a smiley. :lol:

And if we cant do that then can someone PLEASE make a block function because life is just way too short to have to deal with grouchy people.

My guess is that you receive a lot of rude logs. This is the time for introspective thought. Is it really "them" that has the problem? Any chance it could be your caches?

Want better logs? Make better caches. And be a good CO and fix your caches.

Of course I agree with some of your sentiments but looking at some of your older caches I have no sympathy for someone who leaves a trail of unmaintained caches whilst seemingly having time to place more caches over the last few weeks.

Best way of producing lots of 'SMILEYS' bring people to caches that make them smile!!!

Hiding a geocache is a lot like hosting a dinner party. You provide the environment and the goods, we show up, enjoy the presentation and say "thank you." Posting bad coordinates is like giving bad directions to your house. Yes, I'm going to be upset if I wasted half the night trying to find your place, because you were too indolent to give clear directions.

Likewise, if you provide me with dirty silverware, is it against my religion to bring my own silverware to a dinner party? I shouldn't have to. It's your dinner party.

Okay, so the dinner was an inedible mess. Was there slop on my plate? Did I eat it? Guess what, I left feeling nauseated, and no one won. There's more to the party than arriving, eating and getting ill.

The flip side of the coin is that, no matter how bad the event was, I should still be polite. Yes, I can agree with that, but the OP's flippancy leaves me thinking that the OP isn't taking the chache maintenance issue seriously.

People in the forum know I'm mostly an anything goes type of guy. I don't complain about other people's caches. Yet when I am caching I will report if I find a wet log, if the coords are off significantly, if I get stung by a bee, if there is a barking dog, if I encounter a muggle who doesn't want me poking around near their property, etc. Quite often, cache owners seem to take such logs as criticism of their decisions in placing the cache where they did or of the way they are maintaining the cache.

Interestingly, I thought about starting a topic based on a recent experience. A few days ago I went to look for a cache placed by some newbies. It was hidden in a alley behind a some small bungalow style apartments. In the description the hiders admitted that they had trouble getting good coords, but not to worry the "geo zone" was obvious. The encrypted hint said it was not in the bushes or the dumpster.

The GPS did bounce around a bit and had me looking from the utility boxes on the street to the phone pole in the alley. As I was searching the tenant came out of the building and asked what I was doing. When I answered that that I was looking for something hidden there as part of a game, he said he didn't know of anything. So I left.

I posted in my log what had happened. I suggested that given the location it needed better coordinates, a better hint, or letting the tenant know there was cache there.

The new hiders seemed taken aback that someone would "complain" about their cache. They posted a note insisting that the cache was on public property so there was no reason to talk to the tenant. They pointed out that coords are never right on but that the "geo zone" (their term) was obvious. They then pointed out that two other people found the cache (though they didn't mention that one of them took two tries and had posted in his found logged a concern about the placement outside an open window).

Now if I were sensitive, I might have viewed the note as critical of my caching skills. I wondered if they even looked at my profile to see I've been caching for almost nine years and have over 7000 finds. Perhaps they don't realize that this was not first time I've had to deal with an irate homeowner or business owner or employee asking what I was doing in the alley behind their house or business.

I don't mind these caches so long as the hint lets me get in an out real quickly before someone comes out to question what I am doing. I suspect the cache hiders have never had this experience so they don't understand when someone complains. Certainly, since as the owners they know where they hid it, the "geo zone" is obvious. In fact based on their note and the other logs I now believe I know where the cache is. But when I was searching the weak coordinates didn't really point me to this object so I only gave it a cursory look.

The point being is that many cache owwners, particularly newbies, see logs that point out problems with a cache as critical of them as cache owners. If they took this logs as constructive criticism and considered ways to fix even the minor problems the game would be better. If instead they complain that the finders are being mean (or that the finder just isn't a very good cacher because they can't deal with common minor problems), then they get no sympathy from me.

To the OP, stop feeling that you are being persecuted and fix the problems with your cache.

I have way too many animals and ive let way too many people live in my house and ive given money to people I prob shouldnt have.

You do sound like you mean well and are a giving person by nature. Is it possible that you have too many geocaches to deal with in your busy life. Maybe you can drop back to a more manageable amount? The area you're in is cache dense, so there are plenty of caches out there for people to find.

I like hearing when there are problems with my cache.

All things equal, I prefer when it comes in a polite or neutral wrapper, rather than rudely. I like it when people give me the benefit of the doubt when they find a problem, and I try to do the same in return.

That's a nice reply, seeing as the OP is going to get pretty much universal disagreement with their position. :)

I did get nosy, and looked at one of their caches. Don't have the GC number handy, but it was called Cache-fil-a (rather obviously a Chick-fil-a parking lot). There were a couple of I stress nicely worded logs about the coords being 50 feet off, and at least one old one also nicely worded about a wet log.

I wish there was a way to prevent people with a history of not maintaining their caches from hiding more of the same.

Ok, so if they're off by 15 or 20 feet, no complaints from me. But if they're off by 50' or more, then you have people tearing up ground zero looking for something that ain't there. It's your duty as the cache owner to provide the best coords you can.

My religion doesn't but my sense of duty tells me if I can manage to maintain my caches, then you can too. It's not my responsibility to go digging through my car for a receipt so I can sign it, toss it in your wet cache and have it turn to mush so the next guy can do the same. Maintain your caches or archive them.

You might want to inform Groundspeak of this. At a minimum, they require a container and a log.

I'll grant you that geocaching is not about signing logs nor about smilies. That's one reason I don't log finds online. But Groundspeak has chosen a signature in a logbook as their defacto (not only) proof of a find in order to guarantee someone the right to log an online find. As log as that policy is in place, you need to provide a log in your caches for finders to sign.

I could not agree with you more. I've lost travelers which means I've lost money. But I knew it was a possibility when I release them in the wild. While travelers are an interesting part of geocaching, they are not geocaching.

It can be. Once archived, in order to reactivate it the cache must meet all the CURRENT guidelines. But I say if you can't maintain it, then yes, go ahead and archive it.

There are 2 issues here. We can make our concerns known without being rude about it.

You are correct. A find is a find regardless of whether or not you signed a piece of paper. People do get way to anal over what constitutes a find. A great way to do away with a lot of that would be to allow us to hide our find counts. But that is a different argument for a different thread.

It is admirable that you carry replacement caches and supplies so that you can fix up caches. But ultimately cache maintenance is the duty of the cache owner. Yes, I also carry spare logs with me. It's more of a convenience for me than the cache owner though. While I might be troubled to dump water out of a cache because I know how easy it is for good containers to get wet, I refuse to repair caches. I polite NM log should result in the cache owner making the needed repairs. It's their container. I know I would rather someone let me know of issues with any of my caches rather than taking it upon themselves to replace them.

If only it were that easy. B)

Because of weather, smartphone cachers, and general idiots, you can always expect some "coords were off" logs.

That's true. My latest cache was hidden early last spring with no tree cover on a tree-dense rocky hillside. The coords were shown to be dead nuts on early on, but I got several "coords were off" logs in the summer. Also, it's claimed weather isn't a factor in GPS reception, although I've never believed it. :lol:

50 ft off? One of the caches was over 400 ft off on a walmart rooftop, that people apparently tried to, and were successful at, accessing.

I geostalked the profile (only archvied caches), and for the most part, requests for coords were ignored, mentions of problems with caches...ignored.

Playing nice only works if the CO is listening.

It's sounding like you might have too many caches for you to maintain.

I only have two caches hidden because I don't want to keep up with the maintenance. I hid two and waited a couple of years to see how it went. I didn't want to end up with frustrated geocachers. Now that I've seen two caches is not much maintenance I will hide some more, but I want to put out just a couple of really good ones, not a whole bunch of mediocre caches.

Perhaps you might want to archive some of yours. It sounds like a lot of stress for you.

If you're not having fun, it's not worth it.

I read your profile. I'm sorry you've had trouble with irate cachers, especially around being harassed by someone about their travel bug. You can just write down the number on them and then not have to worry about moving it on so quickly. Just "discover" it, then they won't hassle you.

If you're hiding your caches with a smart phone then you're going to have problems getting accurate coordinates. People expect coords to be within 20 feet. That is reasonable.

On my two caches, I've never gotten any complaints.

I've gotten a couple polite reports that there was an issue with each cache. One of them I ran out the same day and fixed the problem. The second one, another cacher (bless him) replaced the log before I could get there. Two and a half years and no complaints. Perhaps you might want to look at creating a maintenance schedule for yours, or just own less caches.

I find that it's the cachers with 1000's of finds who are the most picky and complain the most, you have the right to delete their logs if you want to, but i wouldn't, it just causes animosity, when i find a bad cache i pick the most important point to leave in the online log (the one that will hinder other cachers) and leave the nit picky type things alone. (i.e. off by a few meters, log a little damp), you as the finder can always leave a "needs maintenance" log , but if it's a horrible cache altogether, (co-rds far off in a cardboard box on private property) tell the cache reviewer for the cache in question and let them deal with it. writing a big list on what is wrong with a persons cache on their log page just makes the writer look like a big whiner in my eyes, (you found it and logged it, didnt you?) how many more times did you plan on finding it?

It looks like you might not be aware that you can alter the cache page after you have created it.

Oak Grove cache

This cache has been moved and you haven't updated the coordinates. You can do that from the cache page since you are the owner.

You also need to disable the cache at this time. You posted that the container is missing but you are going to replace it later. Not everyone reads the logs before they go look for a cache, so you need to disable it until you replace it. It's very easy to enable the cache again.

I disabled mine for 8 hours once so I could get there and replace the container. It doesn't matter how long it will be until you get there, even an hour, still you need to disable it.

Take a look at the cache page and see you can easily do these things.

You might want a friend to help you figure out how to alter the cache page, such as updating coordinates.

You'll get a lot less complaints if you're able to alter the cache page as needed.

I don't carry extra paper with me when I'm hiking. Yeah, it would be nice. But if I brought with me every thing I needed to fix the caches of inattentive and lazy COs, then I wouldn't be able to cache far. My car is usually nowhere near where I cache.

The other day I was looking for paper in my car. Couldn't find any, even the gas receipt wasn't useful, the back of it was filled with promotional stuff. I would expect the average geocacher not to have paper. A GPS and a cell phone, yes. A paper notepad, no. I record all of my field notes on my smartphone.

I find that it's the cachers with 1000's of finds who are the most picky and complain the most, you have the right to delete their logs if you want to

You can if you don't mind getting nasty grams from the frog, see the log reinstated and locked so you can't delete it. Your right to delete a log has a very narrow range of reasons, just because you think it is picky is not on the list of reasons.

The written word on logs, or on forums, is much more open to misinterpretation than when talking face to face. Life will be much easier to take if you will assume most of the logs you are complaining about are meant to help you. Not to complain.

Geocaching is far more likely to crash and burn from lazy cache owners, who do not post reasonable coordinates, and do not want to be sure their containers are dry, and have dry logs. Cache owners who expect everone else to do their maintenace.

If I get an online log that says the cache or log is wet, I go out and check it and do what is necessary to correct it. I then send a thank you to those that let me know about it.

I find that it's the cachers with 1000's of finds who are the most picky and complain the most, you have the right to delete their logs if you want to

You can if you don't mind getting nasty grams from the frog, see the log reinstated and locked so you can't delete it. Your right to delete a log has a very narrow range of reasons, just because you think it is picky is not on the list of reasons.

I should have said if the entry was rude , condescending, or insulting. this they do not allow.

You also need to disable the cache at this time. You posted that the container is missing but you are going to replace it later. Not everyone reads the logs before they go look for a cache, so you need to disable it until you replace it. It's very easy to enable the cache again.

I disabled mine for 8 hours once so I could get there and replace the container. It doesn't matter how long it will be until you get there, even an hour, still you need to disable it..

Thank you Sol seaker. It's so frustrating to search and search then resort to reading the logs (if you are using a paperless GPS or an app on your phone - some folks don't have that luxury out in the field) only to find that the tree it was in was chopped down. Someone found the container on the ground and moved it to a nearby location. But the owner hasn't updated the coordinates or the hint and the log with the new coordinates has long ago dropped off the list of recent cache logs.

It's so important when you sign up for cache ownership duty to be aware of the features on the site and show due diligence. Not bothering to learn how to use the features on the site (Enable/Disable/post a Note/post a Owner Maintenance log/Update Coordinates/Archive) shows a lack of respect for the finder and can even come across as rudeness on the part of the CO.

+1

I know exactly how you feel.

Let's make this game a game once again!!

Oh yeah, and have a nice day y'all ;)

Don't take this as being mean, but we are trying to help. I post comments like that to inform the CO and other seekers. I'm trying to make the game better. When caches are constantly 50 feet off the search will tear up areas and alert suspicion of muggles. When you place a cache you agree that you will maintain it and keep it up to date. All the complaints you are receiving is because you are not doing your job as a cache owner.

http://coord.info/GC25MM4 You posted a Maintenance log months after the archive this will do nothing. No one will go after this cache because it is archived.

http://coord.info/GC2MCRT and http://coord.info/GC2MB3C and http://coord.info/GC26964 Have lots of DNFs a NM, and a NA. You may want to go check on these.

I should have said if the entry was rude , condescending, or insulting. this they do not allow.

Depends. If you consider the report of a wet log to be rude and insulting I think the log will be reinstated. What some consider rude others consider just reporting the facts.

there are plenty of ways to say "needs maintenance" , "soggy logbook" etc without being rude or nasty. On one of the worst caches i ever found, i focused the log entry on not only what was wrong with the cache, but what they had done right as well. (http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid=73c511ea-208c-432b-9aec-0c6683801621) I think the original poster of this thread is talking about the rudeness not the criticisms. and granted, yes, people get defensive about their caches, but there is no excuse for anyone to be rude to another player in a user based game. You can say what you want to say without the CO getting offended.

there are plenty of ways to say "needs maintenance" , "soggy logbook" etc without being rude or nasty. On one of the worst caches i ever found, i focused the log entry on not only what was wrong with the cache, but what they had done right as well. (http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid=73c511ea-208c-432b-9aec-0c6683801621) I think the original poster of this thread is talking about the rudeness not the criticisms. and granted, yes, people get defensive about their caches, but there is no excuse for anyone to be rude to another player in a user based game. You can say what you want to say without the CO getting offended.

I agree that people shouldn't be rude, but some cache owners take any sort of criticism as a personal attack. I've seen even the most innocuous comments generate extreme reactions on the part of the cache owner.

Out of curiosity I went through the logs of a dozen or so of the OP's caches focusing on ones that had obvious issues, and I can't find any evidence of what I would call rude logs. Even on one cache that had coords over 400 feet off the logs were pretty good natured. If I posted coords that were 400 feet off and refused to correct then I would expect some flaming in the logs, but the logs for that cache showed remarkable restraint.

Edited by briansnat

I agree that people shouldn't be rude, but some cache owners take any sort of criticism as a personal attack. I've seen even the most innocuous comments generate extreme reactions on the part of the cache owner.

Out of curiosity I went through the logs of a dozen or so of the OP's caches focusing on ones that had obvious issues, and I can't find any evidence of what I would call rude logs. Even on one cache that had coords over 400 feet off the logs were pretty good natured. If I posted coords that were 400 feet off and refused to correct then I would expect to some flaming in the logs, but the logs for that cache showed remarkable restraint.

I haven't looked at any of the logs on the OP's caches but I have noticed the that OP hasn't come back to the 30 something responses in this thread that are criticizing cache ownership practices. I think the point has been made.

The op has placed 34 caches. Since people mostly read the logs of their own I have to wonder if she is upset because she gets a lot of these

This.

The best way to NOT get logs that say the coordinates are off is to correct the coordinates.

The best way to NOT get logs that say the log is wet is to use a waterproof container.

The best way to NOT get logs that say the container is messed up (damaged?) is to use a sturdy enough container.

The easiest way to accomplish all of the above is to NOT hide more caches than you are willing and able to maintain.

I mentioned some issues with a cache I found recently.

The owner asked me to amend the log, and remove the comments about the log being wet and the container having been flooded.

I respectfully declined, and explained that the comments were not meant to be derogatory, merely informative.

This is Geocaching, and it's not always going to be fluffy bunnies, butterflies, and rainbows.

+1

I know exactly how you feel.

Let's make this game a game once again!!

Oh yeah, and have a nice day y'all ;)

You have a nice day, too. <_<

To complain about people simply providing you with the facts about your cache doesn't give you the right to ignore them. That is not being nice.

Edited by BlueDeuce