Initiative Against The Term Muggle

steffen.ott

I can get behind this. Harry Potter is gross and so is anybody who likes it.

So, if I happen to like Harry Potter, you are calling me gross?

Sounds like exactly what she is saying. I wouldn't call you gross, but I'll call you pixelated.

YOU'RE PIXELATED! HE'S PIXELATED! THE WHOLE DARN FORUM IS PIXELATED!

Hummmm... The Narcissa character in the Harry Potter series might say something like this too. But, happily enough, by the end of the book series she came around and did something quite respectable.

You mean she died?

Muggle or muggles may refer to:

• "Muggle", a person without magical abilities in J. K. Rowling's Harry Potter fantasy books and films. The term was later adopted by various subcultures to identify those outside their group or lacking in a skill.
    • "Muggle", the term used by participants of Geocaching, an outdoor sporting activity, to refer to those who do not Geocache, particularly when they inadvertently or deliberately interfere with a cache.

[*]"Muggle", a person who is studying intensively - based on a Singapore colloquial term for intensive studying - derived from British colloquial term to mug up.[*]"Muggles", a slang term for marijuana in the 1920s and 1930s, associated with the jazz scene

• "Muggles" (recording), a 1928 recording by Louis Armstrong and His Orchestra, derived from the above cannabis usage

[*]"Muggles", a character from Carol Kendall's first Minnipins novel, The Gammage Cup (1959)[*]"Muggle-Wumps", a family of monkeys in The Twits, a novel by Roald Dahl first published in 1980[*]"Muggles", a race in RAH (later retitled The Legend of Rah and the Muggles), a 1984 book by Nancy Stouffer[*]"Mr. Muggles", the pet Pomeranian of the Bennet family in the NBC drama Heroes

So to the OP, just pick the one that doesn't represent evil to you!

I'm not calling you gross. You *are* gross.

Oh, name calling and personal attacks. I love it.

Oh, it's not personal. Everyone who likes Harry Potter is gross. Fact.

So, you are impersonally calling your fellow forum members "gross" if they happen to like Harry Potter? Just askin' :huh:

I don't like the English system of measurement and I don't like to get involved in anything that have something to do with ... with them dozen dozens thingies. Thats why I am starting the INITIATIVE AGAINST THE TERM GROSS.

I hope there are others who think like me.

Hey, what do you have against my avatar's Get Rid of Slimy girlS club?

I don't like the English system of measurement and I don't like to get involved in anything that have something to do with ... with them dozen dozens thingies. Thats why I am starting the INITIATIVE AGAINST THE TERM GROSS.

I hope there are others who think like me.

Hey, what do you have against my avatar's Get Rid of Slimy girlS club?

I thought it was Geocachers Responding to Overtly Stupid Stuff. :ph34r:

So, you are impersonally calling your fellow forum members "gross" if they happen to like Harry Potter? Just askin' :huh:

:drama:

:drama:

Don't hog the popcorn. That's gross! Pass some of that over this way.

I AM a Harry Potter fan (didn't start out that way, thought it was a stupid fad until I actually read the books), read all of the books and seen all the movies mulitple times. I own each movie DVD that has been released (same for LOTR for that matter) and enjoy them each and every time I watch them. Obviously the term Muggle does not bother me, in fact it was a pleasant surprise when I first started geocaching because I instantly knew what it meant.

What I can't stand is when people call them "Mugglers". I HATE that term! If anything needs to be ended it is the use of this NON term and furthermore, I think the people that use it should be banned from geocaching for a year and a day, just on principal...

Really, its just a word and the books are just book. Lighten up is right. Whether your objections to the books are religous, philosophical or just general disdain for the idea, focus your energies on something more meaningful. You'll live longer.

For the record I don't care for the term "mugglers" either but it is accurate, at least sometimes.

A "muggler" would be someone who muggles in the same way that a juggler would be someone who juggles.

Caches can be "muggled", therefor the muggleing would be done by a muggler.

It does sound really dumb though.

I AM a Harry Potter fan (didn't start out that way, thought it was a stupid fad until I actually read the books), read all of the books and seen all the movies mulitple times. I own each movie DVD that has been released (same for LOTR for that matter) and enjoy them each and every time I watch them. Obviously the term Muggle does not bother me, in fact it was a pleasant surprise when I first started geocaching because I instantly knew what it meant.

What I can't stand is when people call them "Mugglers". I HATE that term! If anything needs to be ended it is the use of this NON term and furthermore, I think the people that use it should be banned from geocaching for a year and a day, just on principal...

Really, its just a word and the books are just book. Lighten up is right. Whether your objections to the books are religous, philosophical or just general disdain for the idea, focus your energies on something more meaningful. You'll live longer.

For the record I don't care for the term "mugglers" either but it is accurate, at least sometimes.

A "muggler" would be someone who muggles in the same way that a juggler would be someone who juggles.

Nope. Sorry, but you are wrong. A muggle muggles. One who muggles is a muggle.

The problem is the use of muggle as a verb (more precisely the past perfert participle muggled). AFAIK, J. K. Rowling never uses the term muggle as verb. Outside of geocaching, I can only find it used as verb meaning to smoke a marijuana cigarette.

At some point in time, geocachers found the need to describe a geocache that went missing or was compromised in some way. They decided, for some reason, to referring to such a cache as "muggled". This participle implies some verb that hadn't even been defined yet. After all the muggled cache may have been compromised or taken by a muggle, but just as like it could have been a geocacher just not putting things back correctly; or an animal that chewed up the container or dragged it away; or the effects of weather, flood, or fire. Caches that get found by muggles who put everything back as they found it are rarely referred to as muggled; even if they write in the log something about how silly an pathetic it is for adults to be hiding Tupperware in the woods.

A muggle is by what someone is not doing, not by what it is they do. Muggles are not geocaching, whether they muggle or not is irrelevant. In that case, I agree with NicknPapa - a muggler is someone (or something) that muggles (i.e. removes, destroys, or compromises) a cache. A muggler may be a muggle, a geocacher, an animal, or some natural phenomenon. My preference would be that we stop saying "the cachs was muggled" and instead describe the actual condition. The caches is missing; the container is broken; someone pooped in the cache; etc.

Sorry guys I guess the OP who started this must be using the Cloak of Invisibility. Cause he/she hasn't responded to anything since. My answer is, it's just a word and even I forget that it has anything to do with Harry Potter.

And it seems to be a newbie with no finds. Or as it says here...tadpole. On here I would say SPA or SD

Edited by jellis

Wow. This thread is WAY over due in the Schedule!!!

Good to see it get in here again. (I think :ph34r: )

I didn't use the word for a long time because it is pretty stupid sounding.

But the fact is that it's dang useful. When I'm out with another cacher we both know what it means when the other says, "MUGGLE!"

I often wonder what the muggles think when they overhear this. "Grown adults out in the woods pretending to be Harry Potter???"

Jepp, I don't like Harry Potter and I don't like to get involved in anything that have something to do with ... with those books.

How many have you read? Just wondering, on the off chance that you haven't read any of them, how you could possibly form a relevant opinion against them. Unless, of course, your rant is just some extremist religious zealot kookiness, of the "Yer gonna go to H. E. Double Hockey Sticks fer thinkin' 'bout them there books!" variety? If that's the case, I'm afraid I can't help you. Just repeat after me: "Science flew us into space. Religion flew us into buildings". :ph34r:

It's just a word she used in the HP books, she didn't invent it:-

Main Entry: muggle2

Part of Speech: n

Definition: a common person, esp. one who is ignorant or has no skills

Example: There are muggles in every computer class.

Etymology: 1920s

Usage: slang

So are we also to stop using every other word she used in the books (bus, train, station, hat, wand, cloak, school, day, night, sky, Staines....)? If so life could become difficult and our logs will be very brief.

I hadn't thought of it as a pejorative term before now, just used it in the 'psst, there's muggles coming' way. I'd only thought of it in reference to HP where it is used as a neutral term (unlike the insult 'mudblood', as an example.) So it depends on how it is used, and I suppose reading between and around all this, its use by geocachers is neutral (even the gross ones) in the main.

The problem is the use of muggle as a verb (more precisely the past perfert participle muggled). AFAIK, J. K. Rowling never uses the term muggle as verb. Outside of geocaching, I can only find it used as verb meaning to smoke a marijuana cigarette.

At some point in time, geocachers found the need to describe a geocache that went missing or was compromised in some way. They decided, for some reason, to referring to such a cache as "muggled". This participle implies some verb that hadn't even been defined yet. After all the muggled cache may have been compromised or taken by a muggle, but just as like it could have been a geocacher just not putting things back correctly; or an animal that chewed up the container or dragged it away; or the effects of weather, flood, or fire. Caches that get found by muggles who put everything back as they found it are rarely referred to as muggled; even if they write in the log something about how silly an pathetic it is for adults to be hiding Tupperware in the woods.

A muggle is by what someone is not doing, not by what it is they do. Muggles are not geocaching, whether they muggle or not is irrelevant. In that case, I agree with NicknPapa - a muggler is someone (or something) that muggles (i.e. removes, destroys, or compromises) a cache. A muggler may be a muggle, a geocacher, an animal, or some natural phenomenon. My preference would be that we stop saying "the cachs was muggled" and instead describe the actual condition. The caches is missing; the container is broken; someone pooped in the cache; etc.

Thanks for the history lesson, but it isn't a problem for me. I never read Rowling. I know the term, both noun and verb versions, from Geocaching.

Just repeat after me: "Science flew us into space. Religion flew us into buildings". :ph34r:

Extremist terrorists who identified with a particular religion 'flew us into buildings'.

Please do not joke about that. Seriously. That comment is simply wrong and offensive on so many levels (and I'm Canadian :P )

But back on topic, umm... this thread is teh funny! or something. What's the topic again? mugglemugglemuggle It's just a funny word too. Who cares if it's related to HP? I find it a great and fun way to describe the 'world of geocaching' to new people; like a world that you never knew existed for years just outside your back yard, and once you know about it, you never go back. :P