Initiative Against The Term Muggle

steffen.ott

Hello everybody,

i am a big fan of geocaching. But I really hate it, when someone say something like: "Couldn't get the cache - place full of muggles.", "Those Muggels muggeled around my cache." or similar.

Jepp, I don't like Harry Potter and I don't like to get involved in anything that have something to do with ... with those books. Thats why I am starting the INITIATIVE AGAINST THE TERM MUGGLE.

Goal is to remove all occurences of the term on the information pages (like Glossary). Of course, People who wants to out themself as Harry Potter Fans, can ... maybe use this term (please don't). Also keep in mind that future generation of geocachers will adopt this word and are going to say, that all past geocachers where Harry Potter fans. Which makes me really really sad.

I hope there are others who think like me.

Hello everybody,

i am a big fan of geocaching. But I really hate it, when someone say something like: "Couldn't get the cache - place full of muggles.", "Those Muggels muggeled around my cache." or similar.

Jepp, I don't like Harry Potter and I don't like to get involved in anything that have something to do with ... with those books. Thats why I am starting the INITIATIVE AGAINST THE TERM MUGGLE.

Goal is to remove all occurences of the term on the information pages (like Glossary). Of course, People who wants to out themself as Harry Potter Fans, can ... maybe use this term (please don't). Also keep in mind that future generation of geocachers will adopt this word and are going to say, that all past geocachers where Harry Potter fans. Which makes me really really sad.

I hope there are others who think like me.

Okay. The first thing we need to do is have a good old fashioned book burnin' to remove those satanic verses of Harry Potterness from the rest of the moral world.

Next we get the MIB to do a mass memory erase on every human being capable of reading.

Then we storm the geocaching servers and destroy them and all back-up copies.

Mission accomplished. /sarcasm

I find parts of your post paranoid and a tad creepy. :mellow:

If you were an HP fan my wife would be marching alongside of you. She absolutely HATES that geocachers have conscripted the term. :laughing:

Geocaching has nothing at all to do with Harry Potter or its author.(except for individual themed caches and trackables)

Muggle is just a made-up word. Lighten up Francis.

francis.jpg

You haven't suggested a word to use instead of Muggle. :unsure:

The differently geoaware. (Politically correct for all the bleedin' hearts)

GeoDeaf

GeoDumb

GeoBlind

I am not sure what geoaware has to do with this since he must be way too busy handling earthcaches to worry about such terms. Generally, I just use "noncachers" -- but then again I have enough DNFs to qualify for squib status so what do I know?

Edited by geodarts
As others have said, good luck with that. You aren't the first to object to the term, and yet, it's still used widely among geocachers.

Goal is to remove all occurences of the term on the information pages (like Glossary).
Do you think that Google could stop people from using "google" as a verb by buying all the dictionary publishers and removing the word "google" from all the dictionaries? Of course not. Dictionaries merely document the words people are already using. They don't cause people to use those words. (That's what a thesaurus does... ;) JK)

Of course, People who wants to out themself as Harry Potter Fans, can ... maybe use this term (please don't).
I'm hardly a Harry Potter fan. I haven't read the books. I haven't seen the movies. But I've been known to use the term "muggle" because the geocachers around me understand and use the term.

We can start calling them Squibs (yeah, I used to read Harry Potter when I was younger....so what!?) :blink:

Or call them Orks...(if you're more the "Lórd of the Rings" type of guy) :rolleyes:

You could also call them beetlejuices...but I doubt people will get what you're talking about... :wacko:

Edited by Otis.Gore

If you were an HP fan my wife would be marching alongside of you. She absolutely HATES that geocachers have conscripted the term. :laughing:

And the jazz-lovin' dope smokers in New Orleans are still pretty miffed that Ms. Rowling stole the word from THEM! :laughing:

Not to mention the intensely studious Singapore scholars. I just hope that the Muggletonians are not offended . . .

Edited by geodarts

I AM a Harry Potter fan (didn't start out that way, thought it was a stupid fad until I actually read the books), read all of the books and seen all the movies mulitple times. I own each movie DVD that has been released (same for LOTR for that matter) and enjoy them each and every time I watch them. Obviously the term Muggle does not bother me, in fact it was a pleasant surprise when I first started geocaching because I instantly knew what it meant.

What I can't stand is when people call them "Mugglers". I HATE that term! If anything needs to be ended it is the use of this NON term and furthermore, I think the people that use it should be banned from geocaching for a year and a day, just on principal...

Really, its just a word and the books are just book. Lighten up is right. Whether your objections to the books are religous, philosophical or just general disdain for the idea, focus your energies on something more meaningful. You'll live longer.

I demonstrate my objection to the-term-that-shall-not-be-named by not using it.

For awhile, i was using "The Others" or "hostiles" but I don't really like the way they ended Lost so I've been trying to avoid those as well.

Last time I referenced non-cachers I used something like "passers-by"

I was thinking of using "Rebel Scum" but that might not work out either.

98c1be95-dbb7-44a7-9d31-48c56005ce9b.jpg?rnd=0.2544672

You've got a lot of work to do with your endeavor.

As an example, here is a quote from Wikipedia wherein uses of the term are applied:

"Muggle" (or geomuggle) is used by geocachers to refer to those not involved in or aware of the sport of geocaching. A cache that has been tampered with by non-participants is said to be plundered or "muggled".[6][7]

If it is already there, I am sure it is in many other publications.

I demonstrate my objection to the-term-that-shall-not-be-named by not using it.

For awhile, i was using "The Others" or "hostiles" but I don't really like the way they ended Lost so I've been trying to avoid those as well.

Last time I referenced non-cachers I used something like "passers-by"

I was thinking of using "Rebel Scum" but that might not work out either.

98c1be95-dbb7-44a7-9d31-48c56005ce9b.jpg?rnd=0.2544672

Maybe you'd prefer the term Springfielder's... <_<

I AM a Harry Potter fan (didn't start out that way, thought it was a stupid fad until I actually read the books), read all of the books and seen all the movies mulitple times. I own each movie DVD that has been released (same for LOTR for that matter) and enjoy them each and every time I watch them. Obviously the term Muggle does not bother me, in fact it was a pleasant surprise when I first started geocaching because I instantly knew what it meant.

What I can't stand is when people call them "Mugglers". I HATE that term! If anything needs to be ended it is the use of this NON term and furthermore, I think the people that use it should be banned from geocaching for a year and a day, just on principal...

Really, its just a word and the books are just book. Lighten up is right. Whether your objections to the books are religous, philosophical or just general disdain for the idea, focus your energies on something more meaningful. You'll live longer.

I agree, the term is bad enough but please, at least get it right. :laughing:

steffen.ott(OP): No finds, no hides, first forum post....

...Jez sayin

Fairly obvious from the beginning that this is someone who has been here before but decided not to post under their regular account for whatever reason, probably fearing ridicule. And rightly so.

Personally, I think since the person feels so strongly about this, he or she should go stage a "Occupy N 34th Street" protest.

It's just a word she used in the HP books, she didn't invent it:-

Main Entry: muggle2

Part of Speech: n

Definition: a common person, esp. one who is ignorant or has no skills

Example: There are muggles in every computer class.

Etymology: 1920s

Usage: slang

So are we also to stop using every other word she used in the books (bus, train, station, hat, wand, cloak, school, day, night, sky, Staines....)? If so life could become difficult and our logs will be very brief.

steffen.ott(OP): No finds, no hides, first forum post....

...Jez sayin

It's a muggle! :yikes:

Muggle alert! :laughing:

Haven't seen Captain Clorox in a while. Such a long time, I'll have to explain. It's a moderator or Groundspeak lackey who gets rid of sock puppets. There's even like a sock in the sky type bat signal, but I don't feel like searching for it. :)

You've got a lot of work to do with your endeavor.

As an example, here is a quote from Wikipedia wherein uses of the term are applied:

"Muggle" (or geomuggle) is used by geocachers to refer to those not involved in or aware of the sport of geocaching. A cache that has been tampered with by non-participants is said to be plundered or "muggled".[6][7]

If it is already there, I am sure it is in many other publications.

Sure, but the wikipedia article can be edited...oops, I hope I didn't give the OP any ideas.

OMG somebody didn't have anything else to do today. LOL

DNF Actually did not bother to look as there were 4 adults, 2 children, a dog, a pet pig, walking on the trail and stopped to admire the beautiful leaves on the trees or something in the general vicinity of the cache's location. People that I did not know and I am sure they were unknowledgable about geocaching, the World Wide Hide and Seek games, in the general vicinity.

I can get behind this. Harry Potter is gross and so is anybody who likes it.

So, if I happen to like Harry Potter, you are calling me gross?

I'm not calling you gross. You *are* gross.

Oh, name calling and personal attacks. I love it.

Oh, it's not personal. Everyone who likes Harry Potter is gross. Fact.

I will happily join this party. I am a big Harry Potter fan as is everyone in my family as well as many of my friends.

I am amazed that anyone, even narcissa, can rationally make such a ridiculous statement. :wacko:

I will happily join this party. I am a big Harry Potter fan as is everyone in my family as well as many of my friends.

I am amazed that anyone, even narcissa, can rationally make such a ridiculous statement. :wacko:

I am amazed that anyone, even Harry Potter fans, take such comments seriously.

Actually, I'm not amazed.