TB no longer in cache

HikerMike

Maybe this has already been discussed, but.....

Someone removed a TB from my cache a while back, but never logged it out. I would like to see the owner of a cache have the ability to log any TB's left in that cache as Missing In Action. Then, if the person who took it finally got around to logging it, the program would put it back in action wherever it happened to be. As it is now, my cache shows a TB that has not been there in some time now.

Here's the list of threads. This has been a suggestion of mine since early this year.

Travel bug notice out of date

Ugh... frustrated about bugs in my first cache

TB is NOT in cache. How to remove it from cache web page?

How to remove bugs?

If a cache owner has verified that a bug is no longer in his cache, I believe he should have some recourse to zap the bug back to the owner. No mileage accumulates, and if someone else grabs it, it's logged as being grabbed out of the hands of the owner.

Markwell

Chicago Geocaching

Nope - you missed the point.

• The bug has been picked up by a Cacher A, and not logged as being taken, so the bug still looks like it's in the cache.
  • Cacher B comes by and looks for the bug, complains that it's not in the cache.
  • The cache owner goes out and verifies that the bug is gone.
  • If the cache owner can find out from the log book who took the bug, he tries to contact Cacher A. No Response.
  • The cache owner tries to contact the bug owner to have him remove the bug from his cache. No Response.

That's when my suggestion kicks in. The cache owner can indicate that he has verified that the bug is not in the cache, but he doesn't have the 6 digit code to remove it. Instead (as the owner of the cache) he has the ability to remove it from his cache page and place it in the inventory of the bug's owner.

Markwell

Chicago Geocaching

quote:
Originally posted by Markwell:

Nope - you missed the point.

Umm, if you are talking to me... my last post wasn't in response to anything you said. My reply was to Big Red One's post right above mine. And the way I read it, it looks like he was saying some cache owners will remove other people's bugs from their caches - in hopes of increasing traffic due to people wanting to get the bug. But actually, after the first person doesn't find the bug - they'll post about it in the log, and other people wouldn't come for the bug after that anyway.

If you weren't talking to me, then I apologize. icon_smile.gif

flag.gif

The NEW Toe Pages

Sorry about the delay in responding, Rubbertoe, I had some heavy days geocaching with the kids, and its been all I can do to keep up with the logs.

The answer to your question is that the owner of the cache in question logged it, both in the log book and on his cache page, but still hasn't logged the bug, or responded to a query. But I guess you've also answered my question, I can send an e-mail to the bug owner and let him know the situation.

Thanks.