COMPLETED (26937) - [FEATURE] Expand links on WAP site

frinklabs

The onset of colder weather is exacerbating this problem for me.

I don't usually read the hint unless I get to GZ and have problems locating the cache; last night's find was one of those instances.

Navigating the stupid cursor onto a teeny weensy bitty little link proved even more challenging with numbed digits.

Am I the only one who uses the WAP page?

As of November 29th the Geocaching.com WAP site will be down for maintenance. We plan to return service to normal within just a few days. In the meantime, please visit www.geocaching.com/live/ to discover other ways to go geocaching with your mobile phone.

Anya idea yet, how many days "a few" is here? (Three and counting...) And please redirect me if there's a more on topic topic for this.

As of November 29th the Geocaching.com WAP site will be down for maintenance. We plan to return service to normal within just a few days. In the meantime, please visit www.geocaching.com/live/ to discover other ways to go geocaching with your mobile phone.

Anya idea yet, how many days "a few" is here? (Three and counting...) And please redirect me if there's a more on topic topic for this.

Six and counting....

We had to take the WAP site down due to an exploit that was discovered that allowed users to indiscriminately archive caches that they did not own. It will be back up by the end of the week.

Thanks for the update. I don't use it all that often but last night, the one time I forgot to take the printout of the cache I was after, the WAP site wasn't available. :unsure:

It looks like we'll be able to fix the issue of the link length in the upcoming WAP update.

There is another item I would appreciate a lot if it could be changed:

The WAP-site gives coördinates in decimal degrees (DD.dddddd°), whereas on WWW.GEOCACHING.COM the coordinates are in degrees and decimal minutes (DD°MM.mmm). It would be a lot more convenient if this would be the same on the WAP-site.

Anyway, hope the WAP-site will be available soon again. I use it quite regularly, and I missed it enormously on my vacation last week, as it was my only access to geocaches!!!

Geo_Theo

It wouldn't be productive to start a duplicate thread.

If you'd like to vent about the delay, I suggest going to the Off Topic forum and starting a discussion about people who hack websites just to make trouble for other users, and the consequences of their actions.

The WAP site motored along just fine for years until these folks discovered and exploited a permissions gap.

I am sure the timeframe is extending beyond what was initially guessed at by the programming team because they are ensuring that whatever is rolled out will be significantly more secure than the previous version.

About what I am "venting" (in a way that I though was ironic and humorous but I guess not) is the failure to manage expectations. As soon as it became apparent that the solution would not be reached in just a few days, the placeholder page should have been modified accordingly.

I always find it better to set expectations low, then deliver early and have everyone pleasantly surprised.

That is GREAT news - the timing couldn't have been better. I'm the designated driver for tomorrow night's office xmas party and I am now digitally equipped for an impromptu midnight cache crawl, likely from the boss's house in Pickering to the all night bus stop near the Zoo.

Pass on my appreciation to the programming team? Thanks!

:D