Looking for 2012 Geocoinfest Coin Designers

starnsun

Would you like to design the Geocoinfest 2012 coin?

We hope you would like to because we’re opening up the design to everyone who wants to give it a try.

PLEASE DON’T POST ANY IMAGERY ON THIS THREAD!!

The thread Moderators will be asked to delete any images that are posted to this thread. We want this to be kept a secret!

Design a coin, front and back, and let your imagination run wild. Please include all pertinent information about the coin you’ve designed. We need to know what size it is, what metals are used, is it 3D or 2D, enamel colors, any special attributes, etc. Please include Pantone chart numbers for enamels, glitters and glow in the dark. If you need help you can find a Pantone color chart here:

Make it round or make it any shape you want. Just make it unique!

We are looking for three designs, you can try your hand at all three or just one, it’s up to you. The designs are for the Friday Night Welcome Reception, Geocoinfest itself and a Sunday Morning After event.

Here are the basic guidelines you need to follow for your submissions.

Submit your designs to: committee@gcf2012.com

Subject Line: Geocoinfest Coin Design

Please include, on your submissions:

~Your caching name if you have one

~Your real name (first and last)

~Your email

~Designs need to be in jpg or gif format

~Images should be no larger than 500kb (that’s front image 500kb, back image 500kb)

~Designs must be submitted by February 29th, 2012.

~Trackable at Geocaching.com or Track at Geocaching.com must appear on the coin

~There does need to be a space available to etch tracking numbers so please incorporate that into your design.

~Submit as many designs as you like.

~Geocoinfest 2012 and Colorado should be incorporated into all the designs.

All submissions will become property of GCF2012 committee until June1, 2012.

There will be one design picked to become the official Geocoinfest 2012 coin

Design winner will receive 10 limited/artist edition coins for their efforts.

So noted. I will alert Flying Spaghetti Monster. Please click report on the post you need edited, if this happens.

So, designers, don't show your stuff here. Not only will you give away your ideas, but in so doing, you might stifle the creativity! Surprise us.

To the OP, I think that in the end, it would be fun to post a gallery of the submissions, if the creator gives their approval to do so, of course.

~Images should be no larger than 500kb (that’s front image 500kb, back image 500kb)

You might want to expand these caveats a bit.

500kb is extremely limited for a finished design (even just one side).

You might also want to include .pdf files since half the designers I know work in vector format (which is better for the mint production in the long run anyway).

Just my 2 cents ;)

You might also want to include .pdf files since half the designers I know work in vector format (which is better for the mint production in the long run anyway).

Just my 2 cents ;)

Great feedback, think this was taken from an old post and reused. You going to submit a design?

Just my 2 cents ;)

If I design a coin, I think that I could work within those specifications. I always design in vector, but my software easily converts to jpg. During the jpg conversion, I can specify the amount of compression, which saves memory. Thus, I can make a fairly detailed picture only 500kb. My assumption is that these files would be just for choosing winners and that the final designs would be resubmitted at higher resolution or as vector files.

Just my 2 cents ;)

If I design a coin, I think that I could work within those specifications. I always design in vector, but my software easily converts to jpg. During the jpg conversion, I can specify the amount of compression, which saves memory. Thus, I can make a fairly detailed picture only 500kb. My assumption is that these files would be just for choosing winners and that the final designs would be resubmitted at higher resolution or as vector files.

I design in both vector and raster simultaneously myself and my finished designs are usually about 4-8MB per side. Scaling down to send an email is fine, but I didn't want to make any assumptions and I'd hate to see someone have to do all the work twice because they were working too small from the start. That and I've never, ever heard of someone submitting a .Gif for a finished design. Honestly, although I can convert to a .Gif, I don't know any graphics program that uses it as a basis since they're extremely limited in color and clarity so why start out a great idea with low expectations? They work great on the web, because they're tiny and simple, but we want to see the best possible results for something as huge as GCF! :D

I submitted a design a couple of weeks ago, but have not received a confirmation yet (not even the automatic receipt and/or read confirmation that i set for the message). I hope it made it to the right people.

I didn't bother submitting a design after receiving an email saying that only registered vendors would be considered.

I submitted a design a couple of weeks ago, but have not received a confirmation yet (not even the automatic receipt and/or read confirmation that i set for the message). I hope it made it to the right people.

We have your design you submitted. I'm sorry that no one got back to you and I'll make sure I respond in the event we receive any other coin designs.

I didn't bother submitting a design after receiving an email saying that only registered vendors would be considered.

Let me reiterate, "Anyone" can submit a coin design and not just vendors, registered or not. Please forward me the email that informs you that only "registered vendors" would be considered, because you have been misinformed. Please submit an idea if you have one, we would appreciate seeing what you come up with.

Edited by starnsun

Thanks for confirming! Sorry for posting about it here, but since my "confirm receipt" didn't work, I was wondering if the email address I used was correct. So if I understand correctly, so far my design is the only one that has been submitted? And you plan to make 3 different coins (for the Friday, Saturday and Sunday events)? I hope my design will be chosen, but preferably not by default :)

We have your design you submitted. I'm sorry that no one got back to you and I'll make sure I respond in the event we receive any other coin designs.

Let me reiterate, "Anyone" can submit a coin design and not just vendors, registered or not. Please forward me the email that informs you that only "registered vendors" would be considered, because you have been misinformed. Please submit an idea if you have one, we would appreciate seeing what you come up with.

My mistake. I reread the email and it referred to the 'producer' of the geocoin having to be a vendor.

Sorry about the confusion.