50K and eight months later almost 60K

jellis

Yes it's mind boggling... but yes this month he will be at 60K. You may think that is NUTS. But hey look who is behind him, creeping up and started later then he did. It is almost a horse race now. Some may ask who am I talking about while others already know. He was going to give up at 50K, but nope you can't stop him.967644_300.jpg

Edited by jellis

Yes it's mind boggling... but yes this month he will be at 60K. You may think that is NUTS. But hey look who is behind him, creeping up and started later then he did. It is almost a horse race now. Some may ask who am I talking about while others already know. He was going to give up at 50K, but nope you can't stop him.

Yes, those other people are creeping up. It's going to be tough to hold them off. By the way, since when has anyone been ahead of him to take his picture from uphill? :lol:

Yes it's mind boggling... but yes this month he will be at 60K. You may think that is NUTS. But hey look who is behind him, creeping up and started later then he did. It is almost a horse race now. Some may ask who am I talking about while others already know. He was going to give up at 50K, but nope you can't stop him.

Yes, those other people are creeping up. It's going to be tough to hold them off. By the way, since when has anyone been ahead of him to take his picture from uphill? :lol:

The one uphill taking the picture is the very well known FizzyMagic. (Oops I said his name that means he maybe watching this) BTW That was taken awhile back but he is still like a mountain goat if he can't find an easier way.

And yes to each their own. But someone has to be #1 and there are a lot out there trying.

Me, I do both quality and numbers. When I am caching with him it is like a blur sometimes. When I don't I am usually (not always) taking my time finding good hides while taking pictures of flowers, views or wildlife.

The one uphill taking the picture is the very well known FizzyMagic. (Oops I said his name that means he maybe watching this) BTW That was taken awhile back but he is still like a mountain goat if he can't find an easier way.

And yes to each their own. But someone has to be #1 and there are a lot out there trying.

Me, I do both quality and numbers. When I am caching with him it is like a blur sometimes. When I don't I am usually (not always) taking my time finding good hides while taking pictures of flowers, views or wildlife.

Yeah, I can't cache very fast. I take too many pictures. :rolleyes:

For some, that competitive nature comes quite naturally...I'm a rather competitive person myself, but I'm also a realist and I know that I'm very limited on how many caches I can go after because I can't afford to travel or have the time that many people can put into this hobby. I do try my best to have fun though!!!

No matter what your hobby or interest, there will always be someone who becomes out of control and runs amok trying to get them all or have more than anyone else. It is the nature of obsessive-compulsive disorder. Or maybe it's excessive-compulsive disorder. :laughing:

Putting a giggling frog icon at the end of one's post does not make the words about mental disorders constitute any less of a personal attack. We will have no more of that, thank you.

I didn't know it was a race...

Yeah, they kept that secret for the first few years.

I dunno, didn't take too long. By the end of 2002, BruceS and CCCA were battling it out for the lead, with a few what they like to refer to around here as "site scraping" websites tracking their progress.

Edited by Mr.Yuck

I find it amusing to think that people still give an online log count much weight or merit at all. Seriously? Given all the creative ways to up the numbers that have come out over the years. The latest being what, leap frogging or three cache monti a numbers trail as if the trial itself wasn't padding enough.

Perhaps there is a new and faster way to bump the numbers I'm not aware of yet. :huh:

I know majority of his numbers are before the power trails came out. But if you notice he isn't the only cacher doing those power trails. And I can say we did not Leap Frog on the ET. We only had one vehicle. That was the first time I have ever done a power trail. If I do another one it be at my own pace. It was fun, crazy and different but doing 800+ in one day wore me out. Then doing it the next couple days..That maybe for some but not for me.

One of my sisters said I'm addicted. Another person told me, if you enjoy what you're doing and not hurting yourself or others then it is more like a Passion then an addiction. I tell others I've had more fun and made more friends doing this then anything else in all my life. So if someone said I should get a life... well I think I already have.

One of my sisters said I'm addicted. Another person told me, if you enjoy what you're doing and not hurting yourself or others then it is more like a Passion then an addiction. I tell others I've had more fun and made more friends doing this then anything else in all my life. So if someone said I should get a life... well I think I already have.

Oh, they are just jellis of you having fun..

I find it amusing to think that people still give an online log count much weight or merit at all. Seriously? Given all the creative ways to up the numbers that have come out over the years. The latest being what, leap frogging or three cache monti a numbers trail as if the trial itself wasn't padding enough.

Except this guy doesn't do any of that stuff. No three cache Monte, no attending events 125 times in Ohio, nothing.

By the way, since we're talking about numbers here, did anyone else notice cacherstats.com works again, effective with the site update of a couple days ago? Was broken for at least a month, when they went to Twitterized scrolling down for logs.

By the way, since we're talking about numbers here, did anyone else notice cacherstats.com works again, effective with the site update of a couple days ago? Was broken for at least a month, when they went to Twitterized scrolling down for logs.

Still broken. One time shot on Oct. 31 and the last update time, Nov. 8, did not update the numbers. Not sure what is going on.

Perhaps there is a new and faster way to bump the numbers I'm not aware of yet. :huh:

There are only two trails of any significant numbers, ET and Route 66. There is, or was, one down by New Orleans but not quite in the same league as I recall. Just about all others are a 100 or less, hardly enough to bother with creative logging and certainly not enough to get any reasonable numbers at minimal expense. So once you get your 2300 on these two trails your pretty much at a stand still.

Probably the best and most creative way to bump your numbers is to armchair log caches. Unfortunately I have seen several cachers use this method frequently.

You are absolutely right about that. I like to compare it to inflatiion. Print more money, and we all have more money, but it buys less. Put out more caches, we all have more finds, but they mean less.

Still broken. One time shot on Oct. 31 and the last update time, Nov. 8, did not update the numbers. Not sure what is going on.

Did you only look at the first page of super cachers such as the person being discussed? If I look at someone like myself for example (who has only found 2 caches in the last 2 weeks), and the people around me on page 2 of New York, it seems to have been updated within the last couple of days. I forget which days of the week it gets updated. I think it went a good month being broken.

I didn't know it was a race...

I guess it is for some people. I'm involved in one race, the race to have the most fun. I bet I'm in the top 235 in that respect.

I'll second that notion Brian. Fun and at my level of enjoyment.

There is a story about the Race to the Outhouse.

It was written by Will E Makeit.

And edited by Betty Wont

I never heard of that author.

Yes it's mind boggling... but yes this month he will be at 60K. You may think that is NUTS. But hey look who is behind him, creeping up and started later then he did. It is almost a horse race now. Some may ask who am I talking about while others already know. He was going to give up at 50K, but nope you can't stop him.967644_300.jpg

Now I know how he manages to find so many caches. In the photo he's clearly carrying a Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy towel, an important component for hyperspatial jumps.

There are only two trails of any significant numbers, ET and Route 66. There is, or was, one down by New Orleans but not quite in the same league as I recall. Just about all others are a 100 or less, hardly enough to bother with creative logging and certainly not enough to get any reasonable numbers at minimal expense. So once you get your 2300 on these two trails your pretty much at a stand still.

Probably the best and most creative way to bump your numbers is to armchair log caches. Unfortunately I have seen several cachers use this method frequently.

You're forgetting the now archived "Trail of the Gods and "ET version one" that many got in on before the trigger was pulled. There is a trail developing up in Canada that should yeild 1500 or so when its complete. No doubt there will be more to come.

You're forgetting the now archived "Trail of the Gods and "ET version one" that many got in on before the trigger was pulled. There is a trail developing up in Canada that should yeild 1500 or so when its complete. No doubt there will be more to come.

I believe you're referring to the 1,500 or so that will be near Cold Lake, Alberta. There's already over 1,000 caches along the Confederation Trail on Prince Edward Island. In British Columbia, the Grooving the Cascade trail has 220 caches.

In Utah, there is the Musical Highway Trail (169 caches), the Seinfeld series (200), and the Shakespeare series (122). I suspect the U.S. has plenty of other power trails with 100+ caches.

I believe you're referring to the 1,500 or so that will be near Cold Lake, Alberta. There's already over 1,000 caches along the Confederation Trail on Prince Edward Island. In British Columbia, the Grooving the Cascade trail has 220 caches.

In Utah, there is the Musical Highway Trail (169 caches), the Seinfeld series (200), and the Shakespeare series (122). I suspect the U.S. has plenty of other power trails with 100+ caches.

Utah has even more power trails with 100 or more caches. Take the Highline (150+), Take the Nighline (120+), Kokopelli (150+),and Mom Heart (100). That is not even counting the Utah Cacher series (75) and several 40-50 cache long trails all over the place.

From what some of my friends who tried the Utah ones. Sorry to those who put those out. But there isn't much room on the side of the road to safely pull over to get them. I did some of Jacobs Challenges at Utah Lake and luckily it was not a busy road. I pulled off halfway (not much there) and what cars did come had to go around me.

But yes back to the topic. I met him at an event and when I asked how he got so high a numbers, they said ask to go caching with him but don't forget your running shoes.

After that, that is how it's been. Not all cache runs he does are just numbers. Sometimes it is an obsession of getting an area cleared out or a cache meant for him. We one time did a hike of 18 miles with multiply elevation gains and losses. From 300 to 2000 elevations and we only went after 9 caches on that hike.