Locationless caches

GeoNav

The staff seems surrealy overprotective of any cache that hints at some form of commercial tie-in, even if its a good place to get something to eat (something all us cache-hounds need to sustain us on the long, unending hunt!). YET! They have no problem allowing a proliferation of locationless caches crop up demanding nothing of us other than to stop the car and take a picture of something or some place. Watertowers, airports, Bridges, disc-golfing, churches, etc... where's the challenge in that? No research involved, no venturing off into the great unknown. You stop, you mark your position and then log a find. No wonder some folks can log hundreds of caches.

I did see where they denied a cache for rusted-farm equipment, but what separates that from the cache where you log the local international airport?

I admit I have logged a couple of locationless caches, but quite frankly wondered why I bothered.

Any comments? icon_confused.gif

So many caches, so little time! The forest awaits!

If you look around at some of the other posts you'll see that this is being addressed and new limits are being placed on locationless caches to keep them within reason. Not to worry. Its a fast growing sport, problems arise and fixes are applied as time allows. Jeremy's gotta be a busy guy these days with all the new features.

2573_200.jpg

I just discovered locationless caches a couple days ago. I think of them as a different category than traditional caches, and I find them quiet fun. There are, it seems to me, (at least) three kinds of locationless classes, Puzzles, those that move and those that don't, and each can provide entertainment in a different way.

1) puzzle caches (go to coordinates composed from your birthday) are great for people who like solving puzzles and want a little activity while doing it.

2) Non-moving caches (where's your city-hall) are good for people who are mobility impaired, bringing the hobby to a wider audience. They also can be used to motivate people to study their community more, and even to get in contact with other geocachers (see Sisters)

3) Moving caches (the infamous yellow jeep) are good 'car game' caches for people traveling with kids, or otherwise looking to break up boredom while driving around.

It is possible to overdo it and create a locationless cache that's "too easy" but that's no different than creating a 1/1 physical cache that's within 50' of a parking lot.

There are two good reasons for very easy caches:

1) Include the mobility impaired in the hobby

2) Provide entertainment for families