DECLINED - [BUG] Missing "view map" link

WestSideDaddy

Didn't see any other comments about this so wanted to post about the change to the cache detail page and the removal of the "view map" link from the upper section of the page. I've alrady heard comments on our local board about it and I have to say it was one of the links I used most on the page. Now I have to scroll down well below the fold to click on the link to open the large map.

It doesn't seem to have freed up any space on the page, so I wonder why this link was removed?

Didn't see any other comments about this so wanted to post about the change to the cache detail page and the removal of the "view map" link from the upper section of the page. I've alrady heard comments on our local board about it and I have to say it was one of the links I used most on the page. Now I have to scroll down well below the fold to click on the link to open the large map.

It doesn't seem to have freed up any space on the page, so I wonder why this link was removed?

It wasn't moved (far), just renamed. Click on the link that says, for instance, "In Georgia, United States".

It wasn't moved (far), just renamed. Click on the link that says, for instance, "In Georgia, United States".

Well, isn't that just the most obvious thing in the world? </sarcasm>

Seriously, I count 47 links on a normal cache page before even getting to the description, so it wasn't to shorten the page. It could have been placed directly under the state/city, pushing the bearing/distance from home down into the empty line.

How many new users will never click on the state/city, just because there's no indication that it's a map link? I would not have guessed. In UI jargon, there's no affordability that it's a map link. And because nearly every article in Wikipedia links to other articles whenever a city, state, or country is mentioned, I've become accustomed to ignoring those links.

I know, there's also a "view larger map" that does the same thing -- except that it's way down on a page and has a target=_blank so that it OPENS A NEW TAB -- geez folks, I KNOW HOW to open a new tab, so don't assume that you know how to manage my tabs better than I do. That's just RUDE.

So I do not think this was exactly the brightest of the changes. (Stops to catch breath.)

I thank you very much for ditching GetSatisfaction/UserVoice. I only wish that those of us with prior experience from the user side had been able to save you from doing that.

Several other changes are also very welcome. I make these points to try to prove that my view is not all negative. <_< I even like the reformatting of the box where I wish the View Map link still appeared. Ah, who am I kidding, I hate it all. :huh::o:(:ph34r::mad: There, now I feel better.

Edward