Forced donation?

we3jeepers

I'm not trying to start waves or anything nor do I think that Geowoodstock shouldn't be donated to but being forced to donate By having it already in the packages? I don't mind donations but they are just that a donation and should not be forced onto people....

Can someone clarify that one for me? I have never been forced to donate anything.... its starts with the CITO package.

GWX.jpg

If its on there it should be an option. along with extra T shirts....

Edited by we3jeepers

I'm sure I'll be corrected if I'm wrong but...

Geowoodstock is a geocaching event run seperately from Groupdspeak, even if the event is listed on the Geocaching.com listing service website. If you have a problem with the way Geowoodstock is being administered then you should take it up with the organizers of the event.

I know that the one Geowoodstock that I attended near Groundspeak HQ (realtive to the rest of the geoworld) that the organizers had different registration levels that cost different prices, similar to what you have shown here. The event costs money to organize and put on, it has to be paid for somehow.

Edited by FobesMan

Not sure I understand. Right above that is a registration level that appears to have the same features but without the donation, and it's cheaper. How is this forcing you to do anything?

That's what I was thinking. I just registered last night and didn't have to donate anything, there was certainly no "forcing" taking place.

Not sure I understand. Right above that is a registration level that appears to have the same features but without the donation, and it's cheaper. How is this forcing you to do anything?

That's what I was thinking. I just registered last night and didn't have to donate anything, there was certainly no "forcing" taking place.

some of the stuff is only available (like extra shirts) at the more expensive packages... anything after CITO has the donation. So If I want 2 t shirts I have to do a higher package with the donation, or hope they ordered enough extras.

Like I said not a big deal but I would rather have it be an option then being part of a package. It would be nice to be able to have a custom package that you can pick what you want but unfortunately with the amount of people showing up for the event it is not possible.

Well, since I had an account for Geowoodstock IX in Pa., the account was still valid, and I was able to sign in. That's very nice of them to do that, by the way. So there were free registrations at GW IX, and they do have them for GWX. It's just well hidden. On the top of the registration page, and in pretty small print, is this quote (with "Manage Event Registrations" being a clickable link to the correct page):

Free registrations can be created in the Manage Event Registrations panel.

Note: Free registrations DO NOT include a meal.

some of the stuff is only available (like extra shirts) at the more expensive packages... anything after CITO has the donation. So If I want 2 t shirts I have to do a higher package with the donation, or hope they ordered enough extras.

Like I said not a big deal but I would rather have it be an option then being part of a package. It would be nice to be able to have a custom package that you can pick what you want but unfortunately with the amount of people showing up for the event it is not possible.

I see what you mean. Yeah, it would be nice if you could order extra shirts in the store instead of just in the registration packages.

I agree that It would be nice to buy what I want and not what they want me to buy. I posted that in the GW forum and basically got the response that it was just too complicated. Funny because you can buy other items ala carte in their store. Not sure how they drew that line but it seems obvious that they're fishing for extra donations or you can't get certain items. Too bad. I'd have bought more but now I'll be buying less.

I agree that It would be nice to buy what I want and not what they want me to buy. I posted that in the GW forum and basically got the response that it was just too complicated. Funny because you can buy other items ala carte in their store. Not sure how they drew that line but it seems obvious that they're fishing for extra donations or you can't get certain items. Too bad. I'd have bought more but now I'll be buying less.

I wrote TPTB of GWX and was told: "Because of the complexity it would involve in putting together the registration packets, customized packages are not available. The GWX team worked very hard in putting together the various registration levels. Obviously there is no way to provide everyone with exactly what they want. It is possible that limited numbers of some of the items being offered will be available at the event on a first-come-first serve basis. But there is no guarantee. There are no plans to add items to the website store."

Okay, I can see that a custom package for everyone is slightly more complex, but certainly not harder. In fact it would actually be easier to simply have a storefront for preorder swag like most past megas have done. Instead of complex packages, people buy what they want and register. It's worked for a lot of other megas in the past so it's not like starting from scratch. What really gets me though is that the need for exact numbers of items to be ordered in advance (customized swag)benefits with a pre-order style event store. More money in hand early, more exact numbers for ordering goods (already paid for) and negligible risk for the committee. It's a win-win-win situation. Now instead of a family of 5 who don't need meal tickets buying 5 shirts by preorder, they'll just not order any swag-loaded registrations at all. That's a lot of $s down the potential tubes. Gotta wonder what's the mindset behind this stand and the fact that "the customer is always right" mentality has gone right out the window. :(

I've watched this with some interest because I always found registration packages annoying. I'm not going to GW but I would probably spend more money there buying my lunch on my own and then perusing the signature goods. I'd get a bunch of what I wanted and avoid what I didn't want like a store. Registering means carrying around stuff I didn't really want in the first place.

Side note during pledge time our PBS station sells some cook books in a series. There are about 10 of those cookbooks I would like. My coworker has a few she would like but they only way to get them is to buy the $75 pledge package. One package for one cook book. I won't pay $75/cookbook. But I would probably pay $25. So they are losing a $250/donation essentially because they want to force a package down my throat.