SUBMITTED (32139) - [FEATURE] Original coordinates as waypoint

Avernar

For multi and mystery caches with corrected coordinates, add the original coordinates as a child waypoint automatically in the GPX (ie reference point with a known two letter prefix).

Sometimes the original coordinates are referred to in subsequent stages of the cache. Sometimes they are the parking or trailhead coordinates.

Domo!!!

I totally agree that the original coords should be kept and listed together with the 'corrected' coords, GPX file and PQ, and everything in between.

But Man! I hate the new term ''corrected"!!! What's corrected???

Should have a much better name, like the 'Final' or 'Projected' and 'Calculated' or anything BUT corrected...

Sounds something like creating 'Challenges' when there're already Challenge caches...

Should have a much better name, like the 'Final' or 'Projected' and 'Calculated' or anything BUT corrected...

Sounds something like creating 'Challenges' when there're already Challenge caches...

I think you're gonna have to blame GSAK for that...

Domo!!!

I totally agree that the original coords should be kept and listed together with the 'corrected' coords, GPX file and PQ, and everything in between.

If there is a traditional that has bad coordinates and finders have posted good coordinates and you use these good coordinates. Would you call these coordinates Final, Projected or Calculated? I would call them corrected. I will agree with dfx that GSAK had a lot of influence on the name of these coordinates. And I do agree that the name Challenge for the new virtuals really sucks.

If there is a traditional that has bad coordinates and finders have posted good coordinates and you use these good coordinates. Would you call these coordinates Final, Projected or Calculated? I would call them corrected.

Ironically, you can't use the new corrected coordinates feature for this purpose.

Domo!!!

"Solved coordinates", or simply "Solution"

I think you're gonna have to blame GSAK for that...

Actually, you can blame GPX Spinner for that. GSAK came along later and copied me. :anitongue:

I can agree it's probably not the best term, but it's so deep in the vernacular now, I wouldn't try to change it.

For multi and mystery caches with corrected coordinates, add the original coordinates as a child waypoint automatically in the GPX (ie reference point with a known two letter prefix).

Sometimes the original coordinates are referred to in subsequent stages of the cache. Sometimes they are the parking or trailhead coordinates.

That would be a great feature! I'll give it three votes :-)

Edited by sbeelis

I'd like to see the option to put the "User" coordintes in the extra waypoint and leave the posted coordinates alone.

How about allowing me to name the Addtional waypoint anything I want??

That's a different feature: child waypoints. In GSAK you can call them whatever you want and they don't change the posted coordinates.

Corrected coordinates however do change the posted coordinates. That's their purpose.

Or if my coordinates match the hidden "Final" waypoint, then just expose the Final Waypoint to me and don't change anything...

No!!! That would let people "battleship" the final coordinates.

When I enter Coordinates into the "Corrected Coordinates" Field in the Cache listing page at geocaching.com and then import the cache into GSAK via "GPX file", the corrected coordinates come into GSAK as original coordinates and there is no clue that the mystery is already solved.

Since I use an export filter in GSAK which sends only those mysteries to my Garmin which have corrected coordinates, this is very annoying to me - I can't use the "corrected coordinates" feature of geocaching.com at all.

Domo!!!

"Solved coordinates", or simply "Solution"

I'm fine with "corrected coordinates". I've used use the corrected coordinates on few multi caches for one of the stages when I new I probably wouldn't have time to complete the entire multi in one outing. "Solution" doesn't work in that case and neither does "Final". "Calculated" isn't really accurate in all cases either. "Projected" is already used for a specific method that is used to determine a location based one's current location (using distance and bearing). To me, corrected coordinates is a fairly accurate description of what one does with a set of coordinates in order to begin or resume a search at a specific location. I have no idea what Domo! means.