Geocaching.com site update 11/08/11

Will there be a later update to this feature that will move the caches with updated coordinates to their updated position?

Will caches with updated coordinates get separate icons on the map?

Haven't tested this myself yet, but somebody said (if I understood correctly) that the small map on the cache page will indeed show the new location, but that the large geocaching map does not. Hopefully it will, soon, as that is where it would be most useful.

I'm aware of this, but doesn't really help. I can use Google Maps to see where the cache is. What I want is the overview to show me where all the caches in the area are.

"..........the feedback site is history ......."

What happened to the "ideas" that were active on the Feedback site ?

Is there anyway we can continue to follow these now ?

I have tried searching the forums for them both by title and by the assigned internal queue# and have had no success.

I have tried searching the forums for them both by title and by the assigned internal queue# and have had no success.

The UserVoice site will remain live for at least a while, but there will be no monitoring or updating of topics there. Those issues that had a significant vote behind them have already been entered into our database. New issues and requests should be posted to the recently reopened and expanded "Notices From and Conversations With Groundspeak" forum.

We still have access to the ideas that were posted there, but there will be no further maintenance of that site. The vast majority of ideas posted there that received a reasonable number of votes have already been moved into our internal database, which is where we base all of our planning.

Okay its been a day since the update. I will type my thoughts.

Well done Groundspeak!

A nice set of updates, and really well done and very few glitches. You have raised the bar for the next update. Thank you for the work and thank you for the nice updates. Here's to more good ones to come!

By the way, I do like the new forums for reporting problems and feature requests. Much better.

Edited by jholly

@Moun10Bike

Is there any way you guys can post a list of changes from the "hotfixes", like the one that was implemented today? It would be nice to have a list of the things that have been fixed/changed. I notice the Stat Bar has been fixed to not include Challenges, but it's hard to tell what else has changed.

Thanks

Andrew

We still have access to the ideas that were posted there, but there will be no further maintenance of that site. The vast majority of ideas posted there that received a reasonable number of votes have already been moved into our internal database, which is where we base all of our planning.

Thanks for the reply.

So I would assume that we have no way of making any further comments on those ideas unless someone posts a similar "feature" on the Forum? e.g. (27747)

It would also be very nice if caches with updated coordinates got an icon to indicate this. I suggest that they get a green checkmark added onto their original icon, so that I can tell which caches are solved and which are not.

I hope that what you suggested will be listen by Groundspeak.

Can some one explain the enhancements to GSAK in detail?

The one thing I saw someone say was that now we can log caches without coming to GS. Not interested!!

Other than that theres something to do with PQ's. What would that be?

As far as PQ's and GSAK V8, you can download them with one click, and to different DB's.

There's a LOT more, you'd have to rad the GSAK forums.

Edited by W8TTS

I do not like forums but Groundspeak took away the Uservoice so I have to try to cope with the forum because that it the only option I have. Anyway, this post is just to test the signature I set up so don't pay any attention to it.

My change didn't work. We'll try again.

Edited by artemis&apollo

I do not like forums but Groundspeak took away the Uservoice so I have to try to cope with the forum because that it the only option I have. Anyway, this post is just to test the signature I set up so don't pay any attention to it.

My change didn't work. We'll try again.

Please use this thread for all testing. This thread is for discussions of the site update.

Will there be a later update to this feature that will move the caches with updated coordinates to their updated position?

Will caches with updated coordinates get separate icons on the map?

Haven't tested this myself yet, but somebody said (if I understood correctly) that the small map on the cache page will indeed show the new location, but that the large geocaching map does not. Hopefully it will, soon, as that is where it would be most useful.

I can confirm that the little map shows it and the big map doesn't :(

Hope they will update it as it shouldn't be too hard to

It worked for me last night, when I was adding corrected coordinates for puzzles from GSAK to the cache listing.

So, I took the plunge and decided what the heck. I'll upgrade to Version 8 of GSAK, if it saves me time from having to run a PQ, then download it to my machine and then import it into GSAK and then manipulate it in GSAK and then send it to my GPS. Well, What do you know, the download using GSAK to get 1000 caches from Groundspeak took over 5 minutes. So, that was a quick $20 lesson. (Cost to upgrade to version 8)

So, I took the plunge and decided what the heck. I'll upgrade to Version 8 of GSAK, if it saves me time from having to run a PQ, then download it to my machine and then import it into GSAK and then manipulate it in GSAK and then send it to my GPS. Well, What do you know, the download using GSAK to get 1000 caches from Groundspeak took over 5 minutes.

I suggest you raise such issues on the GSAK site, where your chances of getting help are probably bigger than here.

So, that was a quick $20 lesson. (Cost to upgrade to version 8)

Well, GSAK can be used fully functional without registering, so you could have run that trial for free...

Dear GS,

thanks for the possibility to modify the coords of mysteries, so half of the work is done.

For me it only becomes usefull if it is fully integrated into PQs. For this please consider the following:

Just replacing the coordinates (like it is done right now in the gpx-files) won't be enough. I must be able to distinguish if a mystery-coordinate has been modified or not (like you do it in the listing by displaying it in a cursive form).

For example I download a PQ of a special region, then it contains unsolved mysteries, solved mysteries and bonus caches (which are of type mystery). Then I'd like to visit the solved mysteries, to ignore the unsolved ones and to visit the bonus cache for whose "underlying" e.g. multi cache I came into that region. An option to download only solved mysteries within a PQ won't download the bonus cache descriptions.

So, go ahead ;-).

Best regards

Floez13

Dear GS,

thanks for the possibility to modify the coords of mysteries, so half of the work is done.

For me it only becomes usefull if it is fully integrated into PQs. For this please consider the following:

Just replacing the coordinates (like it is done right now in the gpx-files) won't be enough. I must be able to distinguish if a mystery-coordinate has been modified or not (like you do it in the listing by displaying it in a cursive form).

For example I download a PQ of a special region, then it contains unsolved mysteries, solved mysteries and bonus caches (which are of type mystery). Then I'd like to visit the solved mysteries, to ignore the unsolved ones and to visit the bonus cache for whose "underlying" e.g. multi cache I came into that region. An option to download only solved mysteries within a PQ won't download the bonus cache descriptions.

So, go ahead ;-).

Best regards

Floez13

+1

I agree that without Pocket Queries, the concept is only half-baked. Given Groundspeak's track record of not completing ideas, I sure wish PQs had been included before any of it was released.

I use the TB banners on my profile page. It seems the TB images with a width of 600 pixels are replaced by the TB logo.

Example: http://www.geocaching.com/profile/?guid=e5f367d0-e705-44b0-926b-c5c7a7b9b975 should contain the image: http://img.geocaching.com/track/89ffe67b-cdf7-45b9-9029-1c71d94238b4.jpg but it doesn't. This banner http://img.geocaching.com/stats/tb.aspx?guid=de257218-8fe5-49ec-b732-c92628314772 does contain the photo of the coin.

So, I took the plunge and decided what the heck. I'll upgrade to Version 8 of GSAK, if it saves me time from having to run a PQ, then download it to my machine and then import it into GSAK and then manipulate it in GSAK and then send it to my GPS. Well, What do you know, the download using GSAK to get 1000 caches from Groundspeak took over 5 minutes. So, that was a quick $20 lesson. (Cost to upgrade to version 8)

no doubt your problem is security software causing the problem. Nobody else reported the problem and with a problem like that I expect it would be reported.

It's a good start, however, there is a slight bug in the parser for coordinates W000 degrees. This comes out as an easting 000. ... Ok for the Greenwich dateline, but not so good for London! I have managed to put westing coords using a negative decimal, but most of us work in dd mm.mmm format.

It's a good start, however, there is a slight bug in the parser for coordinates W000 degrees. This comes out as an easting 000. ... Ok for the Greenwich dateline, but not so good for London! I have managed to put westing coords using a negative decimal, but most of us work in dd mm.mmm format.

Yes, this one has caught me out as well. Thanks for the tip of using negative numbers. Will give that a go.

Yes, this one has caught me out as well. Thanks for the tip of using negative numbers. Will give that a go.

Thank you for letting us know. We have entered this bug into our internal queue so our developers can look into fixing this shortly.

Thank you for letting us know. We have entered this bug into our internal queue so our developers can look into fixing this shortly.

We are 50 people charing PQ:s, now we can´t register a mutal emailadress anymore.

geocaching.com only allows one cacher/emailadress.

Why is that?

Perhaps y'all didn't read the Waypoint License Agreement

I can see at least 4 points that you are violating:

Permitted Uses:

• Licensee may install the Data or portions of the Data onto a global positioning system unit ["GPS"] for Licensee's own internal use.

• Licensee may make only one (1) copy of the original Data for archival purposes unless the right to make additional copies is granted to Licensee in writing by Groundspeak.

Uses Not Permitted:

• Licensee shall not sell, rent, lease, sublicense, lend, assign, time-share, or transfer, in whole or in part, or provide access to the Data, Related Materials, any updates, or Licensee's rights under this Agreement to any third party whatsoever.

• Licensee shall not remarket, resell, and/or redistribute the Data or any derived portion(s) of the Data in its digital form to any third party whatsoever.

I am not a lawyer, but I believe all 50 of you need to run your own PQs for your own use.

We are 50 people charing PQ:s, now we can´t register a mutal emailadress anymore.

Why is that?

Perhaps y'all didn't read the Waypoint License Agreement

I can see at least 4 points that you are violating:

Permitted Uses:

• Licensee may install the Data or portions of the Data onto a global positioning system unit ["GPS"] for Licensee's own internal use.

• Licensee may make only one (1) copy of the original Data for archival purposes unless the right to make additional copies is granted to Licensee in writing by Groundspeak.

Uses Not Permitted:

• Licensee shall not sell, rent, lease, sublicense, lend, assign, time-share, or transfer, in whole or in part, or provide access to the Data, Related Materials, any updates, or Licensee's rights under this Agreement to any third party whatsoever.

• Licensee shall not remarket, resell, and/or redistribute the Data or any derived portion(s) of the Data in its digital form to any third party whatsoever.

I am not a lawyer, but I believe all 50 of you need to run your own PQs for your own use.

ops, sorry. I did not know. :wacko:

But It´s not working anymore.

Hi,

Why is that?

/astf7

You may soon be 50 people with no PQ. I definitely would not advertise sharing of PQs since it kind of breaches your license. :unsure: