Not showing gmapsupp.img file

Hi,

I have an Oregon 450. I have been using OpenStreetMap maps using gmapsupp.img files, saved in the 'garmin' folder.For some reason, after recently updating the maps it seems as if the system is no longer recognising the gmapsupp.img files, and the maps are not showing any more. The files are definitely in the 'garmin' folder as before. The maps are no longer listed on the setup/map information list. Has any one else experienced this ?

John

In an Oregon you CAN rename the gmapsupp.img to mymapname.img without any problem, maybe the name was too long?

You have to rename, because the next map will be called also gmapsupp.img and will overwrite the old one.

Hi thanks for the info. Yes, it could be the file name length was on the limit. I will try again with shorter file name. I do use two or three maps at the same time so I do not want to overwrite.

Cheers,

John

In an Oregon you CAN rename the gmapsupp.img to mymapname.img without any problem, maybe the name was too long?

You have to rename, because the next map will be called also gmapsupp.img and will overwrite the old one.

Hi thanks for the info. Yes, it could be the file name length was on the limit. I will try again with shorter file name. I do use two or three maps at the same time so I do not want to overwrite.

Cheers,

John

Hi,

I tried to make a slightly longer filename e.g EIgmapsupp.img but again the map would not show. Reverting back to just gmapsupp.img the map shows again. Something has changed along the line. This means I can only have one gmapsupp.img file. Bit of a mystery !

John

Try using an 8 character name like oregonNE.img. Maybe it's reverting to old DOS conventions. Not likely you need gmapsupp.img the name using all 8 characters.

I was wondering if their would be anybody else that was old enough to remember DOS restrictions. I ran into this awhile ago when renaming files on my Oregon and reverted to 8 and it was fine.

I was wondering if their would be anybody else that was old enough to remember DOS restrictions. I ran into this awhile ago when renaming files on my Oregon and reverted to 8 and it was fine.

A better question: how many people are old enough to remember what the square thingy on the SAVE button for most programs is supposed to represent?

A better question: how many people are old enough to remember what the square thingy on the SAVE button for most programs is supposed to represent?

:lol:

@JohnandNorma

There's no need to retain the gmapsupp name. The more recent Garmin nuvis and handhelds will accept any name, so you could name it Johnsmap.img or any other descriptive name :)

Hi, I tried what you said and changed the filename to johnsmap.img. No good, the map will not show. Change back to gmapsupp.img and it shows OK. What is annoying is it was working OK with two maps until I updated them. I bought the 450 August this year so it is a very recent garmin.

I thought that was strange, because it's not how I understood the latest Garmins to work, but I've just re-read the thread, and I think the reason why it's only working when it's named gmapsupp.img is that you have it in the Garmin folder. Create a folder called Map and try it in there; now it should work with whatever name you call it.

Hi,

I did try this and created a file called map containing my map file eimap.img. I tried the folder in the garmin folder and outside the garmin folder ( in the main folder) but this did not work. Reverting back to gmapsupp.img in the garmin folder the map was OK.

Hi,

The GPS Software is version 5.00. It was working previously with two maps ( Ireland and the UK ), both routable, and using unique filenames. I stopped working when I loaded new revision of the maps, only able to use the gmapsupp.img file name. I reloaded the previous map revisions back in but the same thing happened. Could the firmware be changed somehow ?

Sorry I missed this originally, but if you are using OSM files from http://garmin.openstreetmap.nl/ they are script generated and often use the same 4 digit Family ID or 8 digit MapID for different downloads. If you try to load two tiles with the same MapID (12345678.IMG) only one will show up int the OR. You can check for Family ID conflicts with MapSetToolKit. GPSmapedit will open an unlocked IMG file and let you view the MapID.

The way around the name conflicts is to download all the maps you need in a single shot.

Try downloading a couple maps from GPSfiledepot, and see if you can rename them. Since they are not script generated, the odds of having conflicting MapIDs is greatly reduced.

Edited by seldom_sn

Hi,

I think you may be on the right track here. I download my maps from http://talkytoaster.info/ukmaps.htm#GPSRs-Only which are OSM maps.

Reading the instructions in detail it does say to rename the file GMAPSUPP.IMG for it to work, but this does not explain how I was able to ( accidently? ) use two maps without renaming previously. I will mail Talkytoaster to clarify.

Thanks,

@JohnandNorma

"Reading the instructions in detail it does say to rename the file GMAPSUPP.IMG for it to work, but this does not explain how I was able to ( accidentally? ) use two maps without renaming previously"

I don't understand this, it should be impossible to have 2 or more gmapsupp.img fies on a Garmin, first it will overwrite the old one, second it should give a conflict.

How to rename, google 'rename a file' example

http://www.ehow.com/how_5548_rename-file-folder.html

Edited by splashy

Hi,

I think you may be on the right track here. I download my maps from http://talkytoaster.info/ukmaps.htm#GPSRs-Only which are OSM maps.

Reading the instructions in detail it does say to rename the file GMAPSUPP.IMG for it to work, but this does not explain how I was able to ( accidently? ) use two maps without renaming previously. I will mail Talkytoaster to clarify.

Thanks,

Please let us know what Talkytoaster says. It looks like you are downloading a gmapsupp.IMG to simply drag and drop to the Garmin folder on either the internal memory or card of you GPSr. Have you tried downloading the MapSource only maps?

Edited by seldom_sn

Hi,

I'd be interested in what Martin (who runs talkytoaster) says ...

The instruction to save it as gmapsupp.img is (I think) simply because that will work regardless of the model of GPS. Later models (yours included) should allow renaming. I've renamed mine from talkytoaster successfully on both my nuvis (1310 and 1490) and on my Etrex 20.

That is indeed the reason as most people only want one mapset and with older Garmin units you can only have one mapset (GMAPSUPP.IMG). It is only the later models (Oregon, Colorado, Montana, Etrex 20/30, GPSMap 62s/st, etc.) that support multiple mapsets of almost any name (as long as it has a .img extension and is a valid Garmin map format file).

To be honest I have multiple mapsets installed on my own Oregon 200, including a number of OSM ones (British-Isles+Contours, Europe, Bahrain, Africa and Garmin Discoverer 1:50 Southern UK). I switch between them regularly (mainly via profiles) as I travel a lot for work.

Mine are named like this on my Orgeon 200:

africa.img

bahrain.img

111111-BIC.img

Europe.img

I always test the latest mapsets that I compile and make available, and I haven't had any reports of the latest ones not working (prefixed 111111).

Not sure why JohnandNorma are having an issue? Certainly you need to have a reasonably up to date firmware installed on the Oregon for multiple mapsets to be recognised.

The only thing I can think of is that the file is either incomplete, damaged or incorrectly named. If you use Windows it will often hide the .img extension and if you put it back the file ends up as filename.img.img which may fail to be recognised by a Garmin GPSR (due to the double extension).

Hope you get to the bottom of this mystery.

Regards,

Martin

Edited by talkytoaster

Hi,

I'd be interested in what Martin (who runs talkytoaster) says ...

The instruction to save it as gmapsupp.img is (I think) simply because that will work regardless of the model of GPS. Later models (yours included) should allow renaming. I've renamed mine from talkytoaster successfully on both my nuvis (1310 and 1490) and on my Etrex 20.

That is indeed the reason as most people only want one mapset and with older Garmin units you can only have one mapset (GMAPSUPP.IMG). It is only the later models (Oregon, Colorado, Montana, Etrex 20/30, GPSMap 62s/st, etc.) that support multiple mapsets of almost any name (as long as it has a .img extension and is a valid Garmin map format file).

To be honest I have multiple mapsets installed on my own Oregon 200, including a number of OSM ones (British-Isles+Contours, Europe, Bahrain, Africa and Garmin Discoverer 1:50 Southern UK). I switch between them regularly (mainly via profiles) as I travel a lot for work.

Mine are named like this on my Orgeon 200:

africa.img

bahrain.img

111111-BIC.img

Europe.img

I always test the latest mapsets that I compile and make available, and I haven't had any reports of the latest ones not working (prefixed 111111).

Not sure why JohnandNorma are having an issue? Certainly you need to have a reasonably up to date firmware installed on the Oregon for multiple mapsets to be recognised.

The only thing I can think of is that the file is either incomplete, damaged or incorrectly named. If you use Windows it will often hide the .img extension and if you put it back the file ends up as filename.img.img which may fail to be recognised by a Garmin GPSR (due to the double extension).

Hope you get to the bottom of this mystery.

Regards,

Martin

Hi Martin,

Many thanks for your input. I believe I may have had a corrupted file. When I first bought the 450 I sensibly backed it up before adding new maps. As I had said in a previous post I had been using multiple maps until one day, after updating a map, the problem started.

I have reloaded the files in the Garmin folder, from the back up, and can now use multiple mapsets again. I do not know exactly which file was causing the problem, but it is all working now.

Thanks also to everyone else on this thread.

John

Edited by JohnandNorma

Hi,

Hi Martin,

Many thanks for your input. I believe I may have had a corrupted file. When I first bought the 450 I sensibly backed it up before adding new maps. As I had said in a previous post I had been using multiple maps until one day, after updating a map, the problem started.

I have reloaded the files in the Garmin folder, from the back up, and can now use multiple mapsets again. I do not know exactly which file was causing the problem, but it is all working now.

Glad you sorted it out.

Regards,

Martin

hi, everyone 

I am traveling to Hawaii soon and I am having similar issues with my Garmin Extrex 30 not recognizing the .img file. I used this website for step by step instructions on how to use the Gmap tool to convert OSM topos for Garmin. After going through the steps I'm sure the file is corrupt or perhaps I didn't convert them properly. I can see the .img file in the mass storage folder however when I power on my etrex and go into the settings manually to enable the map it doesn't appear. Any help is appreciated since we leave next week and I've read that the rainforest is very thick and easy to get disoriented so it would be nice to be able to see the trails on my GPSr. 

Here's the site I used for step by step instructions

https://www.johndball.com/using-gmaptool-to-convert-osm-topo-maps-for-garmin/

Thanks,

Journey4cache

14 hours ago, Journey4Cache said:

hi, everyone 

I am traveling to Hawaii soon and I am having similar issues with my Garmin Extrex 30 not recognizing the .img file. I used this website for step by step instructions on how to use the Gmap tool to convert OSM topos for Garmin. After going through the steps I'm sure the file is corrupt or perhaps I didn't convert them properly. I can see the .img file in the mass storage folder however when I power on my etrex and go into the settings manually to enable the map it doesn't appear. Any help is appreciated since we leave next week and I've read that the rainforest is very thick and easy to get disoriented so it would be nice to be able to see the trails on my GPSr. 

Here's the site I used for step by step instructions

https://www.johndball.com/using-gmaptool-to-convert-osm-topo-maps-for-garmin/

Thanks,

Journey4cache

If you are looking for Topo for Hawaii go here:  GPSFileDepot

Thanks for the recent Berkshire hike!

-Pat

7 hours ago, Timpat said:

If you are looking for Topo for Hawaii go here:  GPSFileDepot

Thanks for the recent Berkshire hike!

-Pat

Hi, Timpat thanks for the link. The website you brought me to was quick and easy with simple steps to instal the map using Garmin basecamp. All of the other websites and map files I've tried I didn't have much luck with. 

Glad you enjoyed your visit! I plan to hike up to the lost to time cache and probably place some more caches along the way so keep your eyes out! 

Best,

Journey4cache