wap.geocaching.com

GS64

Please read the goal for TB's before you pick it up.

I often see TB's that goes in wrong direction, compared to there goal. Some detour is okay but I often see TB's going total oppesite direction.

I go geocaching with my phone, and here I can read the goal of the TB. If I can't bring the TB on, I leave and just log as discovered.

If you use an ordinary GPS, I think you have you mobilphone with you. Use your phone and browse to wap.geocaching.com and you kan se the goal of a TB, or the description of a cache.

You can also log both TB and cache from here. It's a wap connection, - there is a small amount of data.

Last summer I dropped 2 TB's in Sweeden, and they have to go to Denmmark. One of them, went to Finland, the Czech republic, austria an now in Germany.

The other went to Germany and still remains there.

Regards

GeoSnapper

Believe it or not, some of us don't have smart phones. Our phone is dumb. :rolleyes: I think most people try to keep the bugs moving and move them in the right direction, but I know for us, we're just happy if they're still out there....anywhere. At least half of ours have disappeared from the face of the world of geocaching.

I'm sure for those with the right kind of phone, your site is helpful.

If you use an ordinary GPS, I think you have you mobilphone with you. Use your phone and browse to wap.geocaching.com and you kan se the goal of a TB, or the description of a cache.

Cachers who move travel bugs generally feel that they're helping out the trackable owners, especially when they take them to interesting places. They may not always have the time or ability (or want to spend the data charges) to log on to a web site while they're hiking in the woods.

If your TB missions are important to you, my advice is to prepare a small card with the TB mission clearly printed on it, laminate the card, punch a hole and attach it to the TB keychain along with the TB tracking tag. That way, anyone who comes across your TB can safely leave your bug in its spot rather than inadvertently irritate you by taking on an international flight to someplace they thought would make for an interesting hop.

It does take a little time to prepare that card, but I think in the grand scheme of things it's less time than it would take all of the cachers who encounter your bug to research its requirements online, from the field. It's something small you can do, that would make life easier for everyone.

It won't prevent wayward missions, but it might cut them down and be less stressful for TB owners in charge of important missions.

Give it a shot!

I have gone geocaching a litle more than 2 years with a cellphone, and it's not a smartphone.

Must people think that you have to have a smartphone or a Nokia.

There is geocaching programs for ordinary cellphones, running java, - must people have them.

There is geocaching programs for ordinary cellphones, running java, - must people have them.

Regardless of what you think cachers should do after they find your TB in a cache, I honestly believe you'll experience fewer TB detours if you try the laminated mission card trick. It works pretty well.

I try desperately try to get the travelers headed in the right direction. I am DUMB about cell phones but don't think I have the ability to do internet connections on it, I am too old to learn that LOL. I have put notes on some that I have placed like This Traveler wants to go to Alaska and someone still picked it up and took it to Maine. Grrrrr. I specifically placed it in a TB Motel close to an east to west freeway hoping to get it going in the right direction. Placed another one in a cache in Kentucky close to the intersection of 2 interstates. Also attached a note saying it wanted to go to Virginia and someone picked it up and brought it back to Ohio. Grrrrr Placed another with a note in the bag that it wanted to go to Maine (it was a moose) and a very experienced cacher (over 3000 finds) picked it up and took it to South Carolina when it was already in central Ohio. Grrrrr

Point being that even if people know where the traveler wants to go they take it anyway. Human nature I guess. They just want to move them. I love moving travelers and watch the caches in my area for trackables and if I see that one has been sitting for a long time I try to go retrieve it to get it moving, I suppose some wouldn't approve of that either but I feel like I am helping them along by at least getting them to a different cache in hopes that it will move from there. I am very picky where I place them and if I go to a cache and its wet, broke, not being visited much etc. I don't leave it. I try a different one. Can't always predict a safe cache but try to. Coins seem to be the most susceptible to loss and think in some areas some go out just to grab them unfortunately.

I suppose some will appreciate your suggestion so thanks for posting the info but for me I will continue moving trackables the way I have been doing.

I just drove 10 miles out of my way today to take a trackable to a Veterans Park that I had already logged just to take pics. I took it 7 miles south yesterday to take pics. I had already logged that cache too but wanted to get pics with the memorials. The traveler is Vietnam Veteran Appreciation. It tugged at my heart when I picked it up so wanted to go the extra miles so to speak to get the pics before I released it to another cache.

Edited by baack40
if I see that one has been sitting for a long time I try to go retrieve it to get it moving, I suppose some wouldn't approve of that either but I feel like I am helping them along by at least getting them to a different cache in hopes that it will move from there

I'm not sure I know anyone who wouldn't approve of that. Pretty cool of you, and I'm sure the trackable owners appreciate it.

I've only released one trackable... it was in a race trying to get from NYC to Alaska. It was picked up the first day and went a few thousand miles in the other direction, to Spain. It's been there ever since. I'm going to lose the race, but I thought it was pretty funny.

I wanted mostly to talk about wap.geocaching.com

See it as an extra(online)tool.

You can get the description of the cache. Perhaps coordinate changed since the transfer to GPS. :o

And as mentioned, also TB.

You can sign both, online

It used very little data because it is a wap page, and not a web page. 10 years old mobile phones can do this. You do not need a big data plan for this ..

I'm IT-administrator and find it harder to rip the maps and use GSAK, than using a mobile phone wap. We are not all alike, and that's fine. :)

Give it a try, an type wap.geocaching.com in your computers browser, and see how simple it is.

I like to hear if anyone have some experience with this site.

Regards

GeoSnapper

Edited by GeoSnapper

If a TB owner is that bothered about the way their TB travels, they should fix a mission statement to it.

I try to help, where I can.

Not everyone reads things. I moved a TB 120 miles North as part of it's mission.

Left a note in the cache's log book, wrote a note with my cache log, and left a note on the TB's page, that "the TB wants to head North."

A cacher picked it up and took it 200 miles South... :rolleyes:

I wanted mostly to talk about wap.geocaching.com

See it as an extra(online)tool.

You can get the description of the cache. Perhaps coordinate changed since the transfer to GPS. :o

And as mentioned, also TB.

You can sign both, online

It used very little data because it is a wap page, and not a web page. 10 years old mobile phones can do this. You do not need a big data plan for this ..

I'm IT-administrator and find it harder to rip the maps and use GSAK, than using a mobile phone wap. We are not all alike, and that's fine. :)

Give it a try, an type wap.geocaching.com in your computers browser, and see how simple it is.

I like to hear if anyone have some experience with this site.

Regards

GeoSnapper

I bolded the part about trying it in your computer browser to see how it works. Anyone can try that and see how simple it is.

I don't know, I used it a little when it first came out years ago, and sort of forgot about it. Yes, WAP is nice to have in this day and age of "fancy" websites. I will use it more often, after seeing this thread.

I have an Android phone and usually use it while geocaching, but I don't always have a data connection when I'm geocaching. And sometimes, I leave the phone in the car, because it isn't very rugged or waterproof.

If a TB has a mission tag, then I'll take it iff I can help it on its mission. If a TB doesn't have a mission tag, then I assume its goal is merely to move from cache to cache and I'll take it just to keep it moving.

The WAP site is handy -- I just wish that this:

1 - View Cache

Was setup like this:

1 - View Cache

The stupid ball on my stupid blackberry is stupid, thus making it difficult to place over the tiny single-digit link.

Re: TB's - I put a too-specific mission tag on one of mine and no one has yet to move it from the cache from which I attempted its launch.

First... you are from Denmark and as I understand things overseas cell phones have more "free" things included with them. In the states the phone companies charge for every little thing they can.

This leads to the next point.... You still need a data plan. There is NO WAY I am going to pay an extra $30 a month just for data.

Finally, I can take you to places where your phone won't work at all and there will be caches with TBs in them to move. If a TB owner is so concerned about how to move the TB then it needs a mission card attached but even that leads to problems. How do I know if the TB has reached it's goal and is now just wandering about?

In Denmark, some people have dataplan. If not, you just pay ex. 5DKR, Just under 1$, pr MB :)

I think we can choose to run our wap-traffic via GSM, so no data cost.

Does anyone know if its possible in other countries?

Yes, - I know its an old system ;)

The WAP site is handy -- I just wish that this:

1 - View Cache

Was setup like this:

1 - View Cache

The stupid ball on my stupid blackberry is stupid, thus making it difficult to place over the tiny single-digit link.

Re: TB's - I put a too-specific mission tag on one of mine and no one has yet to move it from the cache from which I attempted its launch.

CORRECT!!! The few times I used the WAP site with my Palm cell phone I just got rid of a and upgraded a couple weeks ago, it was quite a hassle clicking on that little number link sometimes. This was a touch screen, but a rather small one, with the numbers in the extreme left hand corner.

Proud to have a cell phone that I occasionally use to make a phone call when needed. It doesn't do anything else. It doesn't have a GPSr, it doesn't take pictures, and it doesn't send or receive text messages.

I have a good GPSr for that purpose.

I have nice cameras that take great pictures for that purpose.

I intentionally blocked SMS/text messages to/from my phone because I didn't appreciate getting spam on my phone and I don't use them.

The most fun aspect about TB travel is the random factor.

Waiting in a cache for a cacher who can take it directly to it's goal...not very cool.

Getting moved around randomly, until a cacher moves it closer to it's final goal...much cooler.

I don't want my TB sitting in a cache for three years waiting for someone to take it directly to it's goal.