Geocaching.com email addresses

mrcpu

I'm sure it wouldn't be too hard to setup geocaching.com forwarding email addresses much like "infantry.com" (they used to be a forwarding only service now they have webmail... that's not what I'm looking for)

The idea would be that in your profile page you would setup your "forwarding" address and then email sent to

"Geocaching.com Site ID"@geocaching.com

would be forwarded to your "real" email address.

(Bottom line: I'd love to have an @geocaching.com address!!!!)

Rob

Mobile Cache Command

4525_600.jpg

[This message was edited by mrcpu on March 15, 2002 at 01:22 PM.]

quote:
Originally posted by rdw:

Strikes me as another layer of complexity which could potentially go wrong. I wouldn't mind if it was available, but I wouldn't do it.

Maybe it could be a elitist Members Only benefit.

rdw

I speak as a consultant that works for a company that supplies e-mail server software.

Well actually, the implementation would be very simple. You just need an e-mail MTA and an alias file e.g:

jeremyp@geocaching.com: jeremyp@his.real.address

for each member. Then you just need some code to populate the alias table from the members' account details.

Personnally, I think it would be a great extra for charter members.

-------

jeremyp

We're going to need a bigger boat!

I honestly don't see the need.

We can easily email someone by clicking their email icon in the forums or by going to their profile and using "Email this user".

You may argue that if there was a geocaching.com email address we could easily email someone without having to come to the site. But when do you email someone here when it's not in response to something on the forums or on one of their cache pages?

I never have...

-exConn

What is Project Virginia?

quote:
Originally posted by exConn:

Of course there's no need. It's just a status symbol. Hey I'm a geocacher - I've got a geocaching.com address. There's no need to change your status from "charter member", but you did icon_smile.gif

-------

jeremyp

quote:
Originally posted by exConn:

Of course there's no need. It's just a status symbol. Hey I'm a geocacher - I've got a geocaching.com address. There's no need to change your status from "charter member", but you did icon_smile.gif

-------

jeremyp

I got a super-brilliant idea yesterday that relates to this thread.

My locationless cache, Don't Know Much About History, has given me ample opportunity to use geocaching.com's Email A User function. Usually to pester someone about not including coordinates or a proof picture. A major problem with this system is that there is no good way to keep track of who you emailed or what you wrote to them.

My original thought was that Jeremy could set up email forwarding so that you could email USERNAME@geocaching.com and the message would be forwarded to that user. Unfortunately, some people have user names that are not email friendly, things like spaces or special characters. So then I thought there could be a standard address such as forward@geocaching.com which would be used for all email. You would put the username in the subject line of the email, Jeremy's computers would pull it out and then forward the email to the appropriate user. The main benefit of all of this is that you could use the email client of your choice, which would keep a record of the email as if you had sent it directly.

What do you think of this? I find it hard to believe that no one has ever thought of this, but I have never seen it mentioned here before.

rdw

rdw,

I like that idea, although I don't have any idea how hard or easy that would be to implement. I don't like that fact that there I have no record of the people I've emailed or what I wrote... unless i were to cut and paste into my clipboard or something, but I'd like to be able to keep a copy of those emails.

Maybe the email could be CC'ed to the sender, as well.

Jamie

Sorry for showing up in this thread but as result of my LC, i've been using gc. com email system since September, 2002 and i always receive a copy of the emails i sent. That way, i always know whom i emailed.

My "problem" arose a few weeks ago when the identificantion of the user i'm emailing disappeared from the "email a user" page. Now, sometimes i'm not sure if i picked the correct user when writing an e-mail. I miss that feature.

rdw,<BR><BR>I like that idea, although I don't have any idea how hard or easy that would be to implement. I don't like that fact that there I have no record of the people I've emailed or what I wrote... unless i were to cut and paste into my clipboard or something, but I'd like to be able to keep a copy of those emails. <BR><BR>Maybe the email could be CC'ed to the sender, as well.<BR><BR>Jamie

if you are talking about GC mail then you are wrong -

you always have the following options when you send a message through gc -

-- > I want to send my email address along with this message.

-- > Email me a copy of this message.

after the first message you don't even need gc at all - you can do it all through regular e-mail. So you have a copy and the person can e-mail you directly.

This is not to say the @gc.com is a bad idea - I like it and I think it has merrit and that it is worthwhile.

This is not to say the @gc.com is a bad idea - I like it and I think it has merrit and that it is worthwhile.

the thread started 3 years ago. if it hasn't been implemented by now, chances are it won't. :D

:lol:

ha! that'll teach me not to look at the thread date !!!

cc

I've seen a few '&' and '@' characters in usernames. These ( and probably others as well) will render the adress invalid. 'mom&pa@geochaching.com' wont work. Neither will 'c@cher@geocaching.com.

And I agree with stunod that spammers would absolutely love this if implemented.

Sorry for showing up in this thread but as result of my LC, i've been using gc. com email system since September, 2002 and i always receive a copy of the emails i sent. That way, i always know whom i emailed.

My "problem" arose a few weeks ago when the identificantion of the user i'm emailing disappeared from the "email a user" page. Now, sometimes i'm not sure if i picked the correct user when writing an e-mail. I miss that feature.

What do you mean the identification disappeared?

Please let me know if I misread your comment, but I believe the information you mention has not disappeared it has only moved. If you scroll to the bottom of the email a user page it lists the username of the person you are emailing and provides a link to their profile page.

Email/Lookup a User

Contacting hydee [view profile]

Personally I would love to be able to have an email like "writeshoprobert@geocaching.com" maybe something like this could be a benefit for paid membership, or even be included in a higher level of paid membership. I'd love to have one!!

A couple of reasons that this could be important to someone.

If they decide not to maintain the same internet service at home(I had to change mine when I moved), or just to make them more easily identified with the game.

And a financial reason for Groundspeak, With (X) thousands of people seing the "@geocaching.com" on a regular basis they could start to charge more from their advertisers?

Of course there could also be negative results of all those Muggles being exposed to the site.