New Feature Request - My Locations

trippy1976

Maybe this has been asked for in the past, forgive me and markwell if so.

I would love to see a feature in the "My Cache" page for "My Locations". When I think of this, I think of the Yahoo Yellowpages. I can store addresses in it and change "my location" by selecting from a list of previously entered locations.

Right now you can only have your home coordinates, but my work is 40 miles from there. Sure, sure, a zip code search would work fine in the cases I'm at work but having a list of stored coordinates for "my House", "the office", "downtown", etc. would be kind of cool. There are plenty of good search mechanisms on the site, so perhaps it's not needed, but I thought I'd throw it out there anyway.

--------

trippy1976 - Team KKF2A

Saving geocaches - one golf ball at a time.

Flat_MiGeo_A88.gif

Since discovering Watcher, I no longer do heavy duty cache research on the gc.com website, preferring Watcher's speed, sorting capabilities and print-friendliness. One of the latest new features in Watcher is the ability to save locations. You can sort your pocket query results from ANY center point, including your saved home or office location, or on the fly ("I like this cache, show me the nearest caches").

x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x

I was formerly employed by the Department of Redundancy Department, but I don't work there anymore.

Actually, I thought of this feature while using watcher and thinking how nice it would be if watcher did that. Guess I need to upgrade again! icon_smile.gif lol.

As far as bookmarking, that would work. The only thing is that I have different computers in different places and keeping bookmarks in synch is a dealy.

I'm not suggesting this is an important feature icon_smile.gif Or that there aren't other ways of doing it. Just that it might be nice.

A zip code search works and gets close enough for most cases so it's not such a big deal on gc.com.

Watcher was what really inspired me to post that note, thinking it would be good to have that in both places, but since Watcher has it (and I also use that for 99% of my heavy searching/sorting) I'll simply upgrade to watcher and be happy icon_smile.gif

To go off topic for a sec and suggest a watcher update (that may be there already) I like to add caches to my watchlist. It would be awesome if watcher had a link straight from it to the watchlist add page for a cache.

--------

trippy1976 - Team KKF2A

Saving geocaches - one golf ball at a time.

Flat_MiGeo_A88.gif

Just FYI, Watcher 0.1.34, currently in the "polish the UI" stage of development, has two really nice features you'd probably want. One is that you can set as many center coordinates as you'd like, and you can switch between them very easily (although I won't describe *exactly* how, since I'm actually not quite done yet, so even I'm not perfectly sure icon_wink.gif). The other is that you can save and load "Watcher profiles", which contain your current display settings (what filters are set, what sort order to use, what coordinates are the center, what columns are displayed, etc).

brdad has been testing the profiles and center coordinate features for me, and the back end seems to be working well now. I just need to actually finish the last few pieces of UI so it'll be a bit less of a kludge. (I don't mind having to explain to brdad how to test a prerelease, but if I have to explain the UI to everyone, it's certainly not good enough.)

I hope to have it released shortly, but it won't be tonight. (Even if I finish, I have to give brdad a little time to find my oopsen. icon_biggrin.gif)

[[[ ClayJar Networks ]]]

Home of Watcher downloads, Official Geocaching Chat, and the Geocache Rating System

The other reason it would be nice to have My Locations is that you could have them available in Pocket Queries too.

If I just save a bookmark with the location, what do I do if I'm at my Mom's in Atlanta (I live in Texas) and go to a library to look up caches? Gonna make me carry a floppy of "location" pages? icon_smile.gif

> Martin (Magellan 330)

Don't have time to program and record your shows while geocaching? Get a TiVo!