M5 motorway Disaster.

thehoomer

Our particular Motorway Mayhem cache has a very unfortunate title and I am sensitive to the fact that it may cause upset to some at present. As a mark of respect to those who died or were injured in the tragic incident on the M5 motorway on Friday 4th November, I have decided to disable this cache for 1 week.

I hope that other owners of Motorway Mayhem caches follow this example if they feel it is appropriate to do so.

Edited by thehoomer
1320689959[/url]' post='4886320']

Our particular Motorway Mayhem cache has a very unfortunate title and I am sensitive to the fact that it may cause upset to some at present. As a mark of respect to those who died or were injured in the tragic incident on the M5 motorway on Friday 4th November, I have decided to disable this cache for 1 week.

I hope that other owners of Motorway Mayhem caches follow this example if they feel it is appropriate to do so.

Very thoughtful.

Time for a rebranding maybe?

Jon

Very thoughtful.

Jon

No, I don't think they need a rebranding, its just one of those things.

There are so many cache names I am sure someone could find problem with some of them, its just not realistic, and personally I think oversensitive to worry about that sort of thing.

I don't know the name of the cache mentioned above, but I certainly don't see a need to rename all the MM series.

Very thoughtful.

Jon

Definately not, whilst I appreciate that what has happened is very sad but it should not follow that we should start renaming caches.

What next, we rename the entire Church Micro series in case it upsets other religions that do not use the word church to describe their places of worship.

Very thoughtful.

Jon

No, I don't think they need a rebranding, its just one of those things.

There are so many cache names I am sure someone could find problem with some of them, its just not realistic, and personally I think oversensitive to worry about that sort of thing.

I don't know the name of the cache mentioned above, but I certainly don't see a need to rename all the MM series.

I think Jon just meant a re-branding of our particular cache?

I know what you mean though :). The cache title did play a part in my decision to disable but I would've taken this action anyway.

Re-branding implies the renaming of the entire range as such.

Re-naming would have been a better wording if he meant only the one cache.

I also applaud the OP for his action but still feel that a re-name is unnecessary and the original should cause not problem after a week or so.

Just so you know, "HE" was responding to the original post, as it was them that had been "very thoughtful" in disabling their cache.

Mine was disabled Monday as the log book was full - it was re-instated yesterday lunchtime, using the original Motorway Mayham name after I popped a new log book in it.

Jon.

Definately not, whilst I appreciate that what has happened is very sad but it should not follow that we should start renaming caches.

What next, we rename the entire Church Micro series in case it upsets other religions that do not use the word church to describe their places of worship.

Actually Church is fine, but I find the word "Micro" offensive. :rolleyes:

Jon

Jon

Oh right. I suggest nano then. :anitongue:

Jon

Maybe a re-branding of Church regular series? :P

Sorry, perhaps I was unclear (I'm good at that :anicute: ), I do not intend to rename the cache. I just thought that while things are still very raw, it might offend someone and in an attempt to display my sensitivity to them, I disabled the cache. As I said though, regardless of its title, I would've disabled it as an act of personal respect to those who were lost or injured anyway.

Completely understand your willingness to pay tribute the horror happened that day, not happened in a long time..

One of the more popular series down this way is to place a geocache on every single bridge of a major road (just look at the A303 east of honiton). and thats what made me think of various news broadcasts that the bbc did during the tragedy. Yep made me think if there was a geocache on the bridge there were doing it from. I would have certainly avoided that one for a while

I dont travel that stretch of road often, but made me think of my driving after that event