Highway geocaches for travellers

SamDeG

How about a system where people hide geocaches along the nations highways, at places like rest stops and scenic outlooks etc. That would give people a good break from driving and make it easier to find caches while on the road. There are a lot of nice rest stops out there with a lot of nearby greenery to hide caches in. So what does everybody think icon_confused.gif

It's an inside joke icon_wink.gif

I've placed three caches like that already. They are all on well-travelled highways/routes, the intention being to take a break and stretch your legs while on a long hiway haul. Anyone who travels the Trans Canada Hiway heading to the maritimes has one for on the way there and one for the way back.

Haven't had a whole heck of a lot of visits, though, considering the amount of tourists that come this way each summer...

When I'm travelling somewhere, I always spend some time before leaving checking the cache map, seeing what caches are along the route I'm going to take, and plan for some geocaching along the way.

Out west here, Interstate 5 runs from Mexico to Canada, and has a whole slew of caches along it's length. Each one appropriately called I Hate I-5. Anyone who has had to drive portions of this Highway knows how dismal and boring sections can be - especially from about Redding, south to La La Land.

I have several caches hidden along U.S. highway #2 in MN. Each one of them has "Hwy. #2 Dash and Stash" as part of their names.

From my experience, I have found that rest areas and wayside rests make good hiding areas. At least in MN, rest areas usually have a little plot of forest right next to them, plenty good to hide a cache in. They are easily accessible, are on public land, and there's plenty of available parking near by. I figure that with all the caches that are hidden out in the middle of nowhere, the very least I can do is to hide some easily accessible ones.

Wouldn't it be a great if there was a way of "marking" a cache on the search engine with some kind of i.d. that enables geocachers to search by route? IE: I'm travelling from Ottawa to Vancouver along Highway 17... Before I leave I do a search by route "Highway 17 - Canada" and I get a whole list of geocaches that have been placed along this route.

There was a similar post here a while back on creating a mathematical algorithm system for searching for caches along a route. The math is enough to make your eyes spin because it would require a complete overhaul of the current system. It currently searches for geocaches within a "square" - in approximation to a certain location. The new system would require a search along a series of very narrow rectangles that follow the route you are interested in. Yikes. Sorry, your slide rule won't help you here.

My suggestion would be to "tag" geocaches with a keywording system when placed along a route. Then there could be a standard searching system to identify these waypoints.

Any other thoughts?

I forgot to mention, S+T 2002 does the following:

-Search along a route for waypoints including ones you've added or POI in their DB. Search out to 80Km.

-If you Control-click a push pin it will take you to the URL associated with it. Ian's import file has links back to geocaching.com

-You can use different datasets for FOUND, HIDDEN.. etc.

-You can change the push pin to reflect the status of a cache, I use yellow for ones I haven't found yet, green for finds, black for temporily disabled, red for tried and not found, blue for my caches and light blue for recent imports less then a month old.

I have found S+T to be extreamly useful. You may find a bit of detail missing outside of the major areas but then again, it has information for a lot of obscure places. Heck it has street names for Yellowknife!

Rob

Mobile Cache Command

I managed to find an old copy of MS Trip Planner 98 from a Dell that I purchased years ago - (now acting as my File Server)...

Anyway - this works great! My search along a route feature is quite limited. (50 km) - but this is a great way to visualize waypoints! And fast to boot!

Is there anywhere we can import for geocaches in the US???

Thanks for this!

quote:
Originally posted by Kobayashi:

I managed to find an old copy of MS Trip Planner 98 from a Dell that I purchased years ago - (now acting as my File Server)...

Anyway - this works great! My search along a route feature is quite limited. (50 km) - but this is a great way to visualize waypoints! And fast to boot!

Is there anywhere we can import for geocaches in the US???

Thanks for this!

You will find the newer version has a bit better features. Anyways the process used to be somewhat manual however now its just download the waypoints 25 at a time and use geobuddy to convert them to Streets and Trips. I had to work with the guy who wrote Geobuddy a little to get him to support S+T format but I don't think I was alone in my lobbying.

Rob

Mobile Cache Command

As far as names go - the ones I have placed at rest stops have "Break & Stretch" in the name - take a break and stretch your legs

When looking for caches along a route, however, I have to use the geocaching map of where I'm going, then zoom down until I can ID a cache name, and go back and forth building a list of potential caches along the way.

Slow and tedious, but it works in the end.

GPComd

Contents under pressure, do not puncture.

(Written on the back of my cycling helmet)

quote:
Originally posted by GPComd:

As far as names go - the ones I have placed at rest stops have "Break & Stretch" in the name - take a break and stretch your legs

When looking for caches along a route, however, I have to use the geocaching map of where I'm going, then zoom down until I can ID a cache name, and go back and forth building a list of potential caches along the way.

Slow and tedious, but it works in the end.

GPComd

Contents under pressure, do not puncture.

(Written on the back of my cycling helmet)

Streets and trips is the way to go!

Rob

Mobile Cache Command