Disappointment with TB owners

baack40

I have posted a lot of pics with TBs that I have moved along. Some I have gone out of my way to take TB somewhere to take pics. Ex. took a bottle opener to a carry out and took pics with the cases of beer, bottles of wine, in the cooler etc. Took a little train to depots, museum with trains, historical train areas etc. I am presently carrying a set of twin cars. One is a pic of the car, the other is the car itself (have labeled them the twins). I emailed both owners and mentioned the irony of my picking up both of these the same day. Have taken them many places and posted pics of both of them many times. One of them gets credit for pics. in a fund raiser program. No mention from either travel owner. I emailed each of them to ask if they wanted me to place them together so someone else could carry them together etc etc. I could attach a note about taking them together etc. No word from either owner. Why put a traveler out if you aren't going to watch it?

Would it hurt TB owners to acknowledge the fact that they appreciate all the time it takes to post pics etc? Takes time to post, pose the travelers at the sites, etc.

Check out TB3zv6m and tb4j9x1 for examples.

I am wondering whether to bother to post pics with TB's anymore.

Edited by baack40

its like everything else in life, some will say "thank you" and some won't

however one of the TB owners you referenced hasn't logged in on the site since October 31 2011

if you feel like its a chore to take and post pictures don't do it, you have no obligation whatsoever and neither do the TB owners to acknowledge your efforts, even though will be courteous

personally i take pictures and post them because makes ME feel i did something nice

Edited by t4e

I understand your feelings when you get no reply at all. :(

I think one of the snags with posting photos to trackable pages is that unless the owner looks at every log on the homepage regularly they might not know that a photo has been added. Then, when they do notice it, often many months have gone by and perhaps they feel it's a bit too late to say "Thanks". When I'm about to add a photo I try and remember to add (Photo later) on the end of my log.

Many cachers don't bother to add a pic even for the easiest of mission request - I guess if they're not that interested in trackables then we should be happy that they've just moved them along and logged them out and in correctly!

MrsB :)

however one of the TB owners you referenced hasn't logged in on the site since October 31 2011

if you feel like its a chore to take and post pictures don't do it, you have no obligation whatsoever and neither do the TB owners to acknowledge your efforts, even though will be courteous

personally i take pictures and post them because makes ME feel i did something nice

I knew someone would say just don't do it if I felt it was too much bother. LOL I was just trying to make the point that it sure would be nice if TB owners would at least acknowledge the fact that you did take the time and effort to go the extra step. I have moved a lot of travelers and taken many pics and taken the time to place a traveler strategically to get it going in the right direction, etc and have yet received a thank you from one single person for going out of the way. I just think if you ask someone to do something and they do it you should say thank you. I only have 2 travelers just put them out as a matter of fact and when someone picked it up and moved them I wrote a note to say thanks. Someone posted a couple pics and I emailed them to say thanks for taking the time to do so. If more people would do that don't you think more people would take pics and move more carefully? At least you would know that someone was actually watching that travelers movements. Think it would help with lost travelers. Just a thought.

I understand your feelings when you get no reply at all. :(

I think one of the snags with posting photos to trackable pages is that unless the owner looks at every log on the homepage regularly they might not know that a photo has been added. Then, when they do notice it, often many months have gone by and perhaps they feel it's a bit too late to say "Thanks". When I'm about to add a photo I try and remember to add (Photo later) on the end of my log.

Many cachers don't bother to add a pic even for the easiest of mission request - I guess if they're not that interested in trackables then we should be happy that they've just moved them along and logged them out and in correctly!

Good idea about the photo later. Will start doing that.

Thank you in advance, if you should ever encounter and move and photograph one of my travelers :)

I have lots of travelers out there, and not very often do I get pictures. But I am always grateful for them when I do, and sometimes (I think usually) I will write a note to the person who posted the picture. I will also write a note if someone goes out of their way to move my traveler many miles or across an ocean, especially if toward a goal.

There are few folks out there that really do go above and beyond with travelers, and I am always excited when one of mine gets to one of them.

I have posted a lot of pics with TBs that I have moved along. Some I have gone out of my way to take TB somewhere to take pics. Ex. took a bottle opener to a carry out and took pics with the cases of beer, bottles of wine, in the cooler etc. Took a little train to depots, museum with trains, historical train areas etc. I am presently carrying a set of twin cars. One is a pic of the car, the other is the car itself (have labeled them the twins). I emailed both owners and mentioned the irony of my picking up both of these the same day. Have taken them many places and posted pics of both of them many times. One of them gets credit for pics. in a fund raiser program. No mention from either travel owner. I emailed each of them to ask if they wanted me to place them together so someone else could carry them together etc etc. I could attach a note about taking them together etc. No word from either owner. Why put a traveler out if you aren't going to watch it?

Would it hurt TB owners to acknowledge the fact that they appreciate all the time it takes to post pics etc? Takes time to post, pose the travelers at the sites, etc.

To this TB owner its just a curiosity? :huh:

I enjoy looking at pictures that people have posted with the TBs I pick up. You may not realize the joy others get when they see those pictures you have posted. I feel that it is not just for the enjoyment of the TB owner but other cachers who come across these TBs. I take pictures but many sit on my camera as I haven't taken the time to upload them yet. That reminds me....I should go upload some pictures....

I thank you for your efforts in taking these pictures for the rest of us to enjoy!!!

Thank you in advance, if you should ever encounter and move and photograph one of my travelers :)

I have lots of travelers out there, and not very often do I get pictures. But I am always grateful for them when I do, and sometimes (I think usually) I will write a note to the person who posted the picture. I will also write a note if someone goes out of their way to move my traveler many miles or across an ocean, especially if toward a goal.

There are few folks out there that really do go above and beyond with travelers, and I am always excited when one of mine gets to one of them.

I will remember that. I looked through your trackables to see if I have any or have had any and I don't think so. BUT....you have some very cool trackables and would be so excited to find one. We are divers as well but actually haven't been diving in 9 years! :( :( We recently went to Cabo San Lucus but were only there for 3 days and didn't get to dive. I was so sad. At least I got to snorkel and saw some sea lions!! I had picked up an "Ocean Life" GC just before we left for Cabo and did leave it there. It seemed the appropriate place for it. Just like the OP, I also try to seek out the right cache to drop TB/GCs into. LOVE your pathtag too!!!!!

While things do happen as pointed out in the OP, we have found that many (perhaps majority, perhaps not) TO's appreciate when one goes out of their way or takes that extra step to post photos and the like.

So far, our experiences have been quite the opposite from those expressed in the OP. Not every TO has mentioned the fact that they liked or were thrilled with photos, but they don't have to, we don't "expect" them to, but in our case, many have.

I would imagine that after a while of emailing each and every person that posted photos could become a little hum-drum. In fact, large numbers (it seems) never respond to geocaching email at all! This phenomenon certainly isn't limited to responding to something as in the OP.

We take photos as often as practical, and post them. Because we want to, not because we expect acknowledgement of that fact. We appreciate photos of our travelers, and we rather suspect that those "non-responders" do also.

We looked at the pages posted, and the OP surely did post many photos and visits, two pages worth for each traveler.

All of this activity occurred over the last six days. Heck, some people don't even check their emails once a week, perhaps they haven't yet noticed they had received email. Ya just never know for sure.

We wish the OP had picked up our (last active/moving) traveler, it is currently in the same state where he retrieved these! Oh well... such it is.

I wish we TOs would get specific notification for photos. So many times I've gone to look at one of my TBs pages and find a mover has posted photos (typically to the drop entry) which require an edit of the log. I don't seem to get notifications of edits to drop logs.

I love it when folks take the time to post pictures and specificially request them, if possible, on my traveler's page.

To the OP, please don't assume the TO knows you've posted photos. And thank you for your time and effort with going that extra mile. Most of us DO appreciate it. :)

Edited by ThePetersTrio
I emailed each of them to ask if they wanted me to place them together so someone else could carry them together etc etc. I could attach a note about taking them together etc. No word from either owner.

If you send a Profile message, it's likely that you'll get no reply, because of the frustrating way that GS has the email system set up. People send their reply into a thing called "no-reply" and don't realize it. When you get no response, you don't know if they got no message, or if you got no reply.

Email sometimes just plain vanishes, or has excessively long delays in delivery (which eventually also can cause email to vanish) when sent from GC Profile. And, many people discover all GC messages are in their Spam box. The Profile messaging system is horrible, do not depend on it. Use actual logs, if there's something important to communicate. I don't know how to say it any plainer, and nobody seems to take me seriously, but it's essential to do logs, not email, when at all possible.

Anyway, take good pictures and post them. Many Trackables have no photo (even ones requesting photos), and it's helpful to the rest of us, so we can identify it on sight.

And I have a question: What makes a great TB log photo? I always end up with either a blurred landmark or blurred TB, or the bug's so tiny in the photo you can't even find it, or a nice macro shot but no way to know location in the photo. Got examples?

Edited by kunarion
I emailed each of them to ask if they wanted me to place them together so someone else could carry them together etc etc. I could attach a note about taking them together etc. No word from either owner.

If you send a Profile message, it's likely that you'll get no reply, because of the frustrating way that GS has the email system set up. People send their reply into a thing called "no-reply" and don't realize it. When you get no response, you don't know if they got no message, or if you got no reply.

Email sometimes just plain vanishes, or has excessively long delays in delivery (which eventually also can cause email to vanish) when sent from GC Profile. And, many people discover all GC messages are in their Spam box. The Profile messaging system is horrible, do not depend on it. Use actual logs, if there's something important to communicate. I don't know how to say it any plainer, and nobody seems to take me seriously, but it's essential to do logs, not email, when at all possible.

Anyway, take good pictures and post them. Many Trackables have no photo (even ones requesting photos), and it's helpful to the rest of us, so we can identify it on sight.

And I have a question: What makes a great TB log photo? I always end up with either a blurred landmark or blurred TB, or the bug's so tiny in the photo you can't even find it, or a nice macro shot but no way to know location in the photo. Got examples?

I just posted these pics from this morning to this travelers page. Thought they were appropriate. TL29PTD3

let me try again

That's a great way to take the photos, a close-up and a scene shot.

It's not always easy to tell if a photo's been posted on a TB page. I like the idea for a "(photo later)" note in the log, which would be a good clue. Many logs are "Visited" which aren't even sent as notifications (so if a photo were added, you wouldn't immediately know).

Only a handful of pictures have ever been posted on my Trackables by other cachers, and those were a long time ago, before I knew that email doesn't work so hot around here. I'll take my own advice and praise people directly in Notes on the TB page, when they do something nice like that, from now on.

I knew someone would say just don't do it if I felt it was too much bother. LOL I was just trying to make the point that it sure would be nice if TB owners would at least acknowledge the fact that you did take the time and effort to go the extra step. I have moved a lot of travelers and taken many pics and taken the time to place a traveler strategically to get it going in the right direction, etc and have yet received a thank you from one single person for going out of the way. I just think if you ask someone to do something and they do it you should say thank you. I only have 2 travelers just put them out as a matter of fact and when someone picked it up and moved them I wrote a note to say thanks. Someone posted a couple pics and I emailed them to say thanks for taking the time to do so. If more people would do that don't you think more people would take pics and move more carefully? At least you would know that someone was actually watching that travelers movements. Think it would help with lost travelers. Just a thought.

so did I on few special occasions

i get your point, but what i am saying is that don't expect everyone to do things the way you do thus avoiding disappointment, just do it because you enjoy doing it

I add photos later, after I get home and upload them and I also add photos to travellers that I have 'visited' into caches; not every time of course, but I do like to go back and enhance my logs when I have the time. I don't do it for the accolades, I do it because I enjoy showing where I have taken a traveller and I know I enjoy looking at photos that others have put up. I have had quite a few people email me to say thanks for the story and photos, which is really nice, but I dont get upset if I don't get a response.

I add photos later, after I get home and upload them and I also add photos to travellers that I have 'visited' into caches; not every time of course, but I do like to go back and enhance my logs when I have the time. I don't do it for the accolades, I do it because I enjoy showing where I have taken a traveller and I know I enjoy looking at photos that others have put up. I have had quite a few people email me to say thanks for the story and photos, which is really nice, but I dont get upset if I don't get a response.

No, I don't do it for the praise but once in a while it sure would be nice to get a little acknowledgement that they even looked at the logs or the pics. I have also emailed several tb owners asking their preference on different things and very seldom have heard back. It almost feels like they put a traveler out there and forget it. I know this is not always the case and that the mail system is unreliable but as many times as I have tried to notify one of them I would get something back at some point in time. At this particular time I tried to notify both the TO for the cars that I have been carrying and posting together as they are both the same type of cars to ask if they would like me to "bundle" these two with a note that if possible they would like to travel together for a while. Got no response from either TO. That was what prompted my post in the first place. I also emailed both of them when I found the two on the same day and thus my first pic of the "twins". Got no response from that either.

I realize not everyone is as addicted to geocaching and moving travelers as I am but they paid money for those tags and you would think they would check on them once in a while anyway. Just like all the travelers that have been registered to a cache for 3 or so years and noone bothers to mark it missing after several posts that it wasn't in the cache. Some of which are still caching after checking their records. Don't get it.

I realize not everyone is as addicted to geocaching and moving travelers as I am but they paid money for those tags and you would think they would check on them once in a while anyway. Just like all the travelers that have been registered to a cache for 3 or so years and noone bothers to mark it missing after several posts that it wasn't in the cache. Some of which are still caching after checking their records. Don't get it.

We (general 'we' not the 'we' on this thread) live in a fast food society and culturally, our attention spans are around 30 seconds long.

I see this lament on the general section of the forum about cache owners who do not do maintenance on their caches. Some times a quick check indicates the COs haven't even logged onto the site for months, even with numerous NM logs. People do lose interest, some more quickly than others. Yes, it can be annoying but I have yet to figure out the solution other than to simply do the best I can with my travelers and caches and not try to get upset by the behaviors of others.

I get that it isn't always easy. ;)

UPDATE After posting a note on the TB page I did hear from one of the TB owners and got my question answered. AND he did thank me for all the pics. Guess I have to eat some of my words now. LOL Learned alot about TBs tho. Did not know TBO did not get notifications of visits, pics, etc. Only placements and retrievals. Will remember that from now on.

Thanks for all the input on this subject and all your comments. Learn something new every day as the saying goes.

I've had similar experiences. But ya never know who will appreciate the effort if you don't make it.

Looked at some of your pics. You are a TB owner's dream finder! I sure hope you someday find one of mine. Until then, please accept my thanks for any that don't offer theirs: thank you for the great pics!

Steve

My husband was going on about something similar. We helped "Rocketman" along and even took his pic at NASA and stuff. We did cool stuff with other TB's too, but oddly none of the owners have logged on. We don't necessarily expect anything, but we'd like them to see how far and where their TB's have gone. C'est la vie, I suppose. :)

As a TB owner I really appreciate the time geocachers take to post pics with my TB's. I normally do not notify the cacher that I have seen the pics but I do make it a point to at least look at the pics and the places they have been.

I always tell myself that geocaching is and has always been about the hunt and the find. Anything else including pictures is an added bonus for us. But i don't expect cachers to go out of their way and take pics. Although I enjoy seeing them when they are logged. Many cachers these days are about the count. How many can they log in a very short time. I feel those cachers have lost track of what this sport is about.

I appreciate the pictures taken with my TB's. So for no other reason, please continue to log TB's with pictures. I hope some day you find one of mine in your hands and would love to see a picture with the log.

As a TB owner, I'd enjoy seeing pictures taken with my TB. But to be honest, I wouldn't myself (right now) know what to comment other than "thank you" which I find somewhat redundant.

And as someone who takes pictures of TBs, I really do not expect the the owner to comment or thank me. Knowing they and probably other cachers who later come across the TB will enjoy them, is enough for me.

I've got 25 pages in my gallery of trackables coins/tbs. not one thank you. needless to say i don't bother anymore.

I sometimes wonder why people always need some kind of acknowledgement. Honestly, isn't it enough knowing you did something special?

And I have often wondered why it is so difficult for someone to thank you when someone does someone nice for them. Different generation perhaps? I often shop, shop, shop, for a special wedding gift or Christmas gift, etc and I am finding that more often than not (especially wedding gifts) the couple can't even send a thank you. I suppose the priviledge of buying the gift should be enough.

I've got 25 pages in my gallery of trackables coins/tbs. not one thank you. needless to say i don't bother anymore.

I've lately gotten some great "Thank You" messages from people, after I've posted TB location photos. But messages are rare.

I've also gone out of my way to thank people for logging/moving a TB I haven't heard from in a long time (and which I had thought was lost). But I've discovered you have to be super careful that your notes don't sound in any way accusatory or sarcastic:

"Thanks a lot for finding my coin." Huh, this is tougher than it looks...

Maybe this: "Thanks for finally logging my coin!" No, no, no.

"Thank you for your help recovering my coin, which had been lost for a while." There, that's it. I hope.

Edited by kunarion

My general curiosity keeps me looking at Tb's I have found previously. See how they are doing.

I took a pic of one with my daughter and recieved back a lovely little message back. TB3Z0RQ

Another I took to Lincoln Cathedral, posted a note, another lovely message, via email. TB420HD

And finally a little Fly TB went and sat on a Red Arrow, photo taken, but no message. TB40CAP

I take enjoyment out of doing it. A message in return is a bonus.

I sometimes wonder why people always need some kind of acknowledgement. Honestly, isn't it enough knowing you did something special?

Here, Here.

I've always considered the pics of either Trackables or Caches as MY way of saying thanks to the TO/CO for putting something out for me to find/discover. I have never expected much from them.

On the other hand, I've had some neat contacts with owners and others as a result of some pics I've posted. A few have become regular contacts, something I truly value. They may not be 'best' friends, but certainly appreciated as contacts... I suspect some will fade away eventually, that happens as we both get interested in other things.

Doug 7rxc

Here, Here.

I don't think people always need the acknowledgement but I look upon giving a short "thanks" as a type of "postive reinforcement" - For the same reason I say "thanks" if someone holds a door open for me... or picks up something I've dropped... or offers me a seat on a train. It lets someone know that you've noticed what they've done and you appreciate it. I think that's a worthwhile gesture and (hopefully) it'll mean they'll do the same thing again for someone else.

I too always considered the pics of either Caches/Trackables as a little way of my saying "thanks" to the owner for allowing me to find or discover and a little pic for others to look at and hopefully enjoy. I have never expect to start a communication with them for just saying thanks.

I too always considered the pics of either Caches/Trackables as a little way of my saying "thanks" to the owner for allowing me to find or discover and a little pic for others to look at and hopefully enjoy. I have never expect to start a communication with them for just saying thanks.

Interesting... I wonder if that is the HAM in us... similar to exchanging QSL cards for a contact. ( I didn't ever do that on Ham though, it was getting expensive, I did do email cards). I only did those for people who took the time to talk for a few minutes.

Not for a typical DX exchange of signal reports (that was the origin of QSL cards... signal reports that is). I guess you could call brief exchanges the equivalent of a LPC for me... I do them, but not overly impressed.

A brief Thanks is mostly all that is required/appreciated. Sometimes I will E mail a pic directly to the CO/TO if there is a problem with the cache or trackable... gives them a head up on what they might need to do next, words sometimes don't do well. Recently I found a container dragged out in the open by a critter of some sort, I found a good spot for it and sent an email with a pic and description to the CO. Never had a reply to that, but it was found by someone else later, so it was a viable spot!

Doug 7rxc (VE7RXC if you haven't guessed)

I don't think people always need the acknowledgement but I look upon giving a short "thanks" as a type of "postive reinforcement" - For the same reason I say "thanks" if someone holds a door open for me... or picks up something I've dropped... or offers me a seat on a train. It lets someone know that you've noticed what they've done and you appreciate it. I think that's a worthwhile gesture and (hopefully) it'll mean they'll do the same thing again for someone else.

I'm willing to bet you NEVER berate the person who performed the act either. Things seem to have mellowed out again, but I remember being called to task by 'libbers' who seemed to feel that being courteous was a personal insult. I've been glad to accomodate that a bit, but I don't remember ever feeling that was a gender related subject... more a matter of personal need. I do see more of that aspect when you see it at all. Maybe my increasing age has something to do with it! I suspect that people in general are just in too much of a rush to go nowhere in particular to care. "thanks" is always a better comment than "grrrr".

Thank you for making me feel a little bit more normal this morning!

Doug 7rxc