POI Loader 2.7.0.0

Klatch

Pardon me if this has been discussed previously. I did a forum search and didn't come up with anything.

I just upgraded to a Windows 7 computer and downloaded the latest version of the POI Loader from Garmin. I loaded a couple of custom POI files to the microSD card. When I backed out of the mass storage mode and did a search, there were no poi files recognized by my 76CSx. After quite a while of loading and reloading files, both in the GPS and with a card reader I realized the output files were all .poi instead of the .gpi files I was expecting. When I manually changed the extensions to .gpi the GPS recognized them as previously. I guess what I would like to know is this a normal output with version 2.7.0.0 and is my old GPS not capable of recognizing the .poi extension?

I doesn't seem to have to be an 'old GPS'. I noticed that this was happening on my Oregon 450 with v2.7.0 just after I downloaded it back in August. The 450, even with the latest v5.20 system software, still wants all Custom POI files named with .gpi extensions.

my old GPS not capable of recognizing the .poi extension?

Edited by c_dog

I have a Nuvi 1300LM with the same symptoms. I used POILoader to load a simple .csv to the device and to an SD card. The POI's were created as a .gpi file on the device and as a .poi file on the SD card. The former was recognized by the 1300 but the latter was not. I also have an associated .bmp and a .mp3 file. The .bmp icon was displayed ok but the .mp3 alert file did not play. I found out that the 1300 apparantly does NOT support mp3 alerts but was reported to support .wav files. I tried using a .wav file and it also did not play. I'm still tinkering though and perhaps will get it to work eventually. Alerts DID work since I tried loading without a sound file and got the default 'bong' sound as I approached the waypoint.

I have a Nuvi 1300LM with the same symptoms. I used POILoader to load a simple .csv to the device and to an SD card. The POI's were created as a .gpi file on the device and as a .poi file on the SD card. The former was recognized by the 1300 but the latter was not. I also have an associated .bmp and a .mp3 file. The .bmp icon was displayed ok but the .mp3 alert file did not play. I found out that the 1300 apparantly does NOT support mp3 alerts but was reported to support .wav files. I tried using a .wav file and it also did not play. I'm still tinkering though and perhaps will get it to work eventually. Alerts DID work since I tried loading without a sound file and got the default 'bong' sound as I approached the waypoint.

I cannot see the internal files on my 76CSx (or at least I don't know how), but I assume the same thing is happening. When I am not in mass storage mode and send the POI to the internal memory the unit can read the file.