GPSr wanted (Chicago area)

The LCD screens on my two eTrex Legends have died after something like 18000 logged miles and six years. Over the years I've dissassembled the units three times and successfully fixed the problem by cleaning the contacts on the flexible LCD connector, but this time I was unsuccessful and it is becoming a PITA. The screens blank out to just a vertical line after the units are on for 5 minutes or so.

Anyone have anything (preferably newer,maybe hcx) that I can replace one or both of these units with, please drop me a line. It would be nice to have another Garmin unit to reduce the slope of the learning curve, and it would be really cool to have removable storage, but I am open to all offers. At this point in my life I do not have a whole helluva lot of cash to throw to a big box store, so Panther in the Den suggested that I make a plea here.

On a related note, how the hell do contacts in a sealed unit get dirty?

Any advice/offers are welcome.

Stay cool!

NNick

The LCD screens on my two eTrex Legends have died after something like 18000 logged miles and six years. Over the years I've dissassembled the units three times and successfully fixed the problem by cleaning the contacts on the flexible LCD connector, but this time I was unsuccessful and it is becoming a PITA. The screens blank out to just a vertical line after the units are on for 5 minutes or so.

Anyone have anything (preferably newer,maybe hcx) that I can replace one or both of these units with, please drop me a line. It would be nice to have another Garmin unit to reduce the slope of the learning curve, and it would be really cool to have removable storage, but I am open to all offers. At this point in my life I do not have a whole helluva lot of cash to throw to a big box store, so Panther in the Den suggested that I make a plea here.

On a related note, how the hell do contacts in a sealed unit get dirty?

Any advice/offers are welcome.

Stay cool!

NNick

I just posted a free venture above by e-trex chuck 801 231 1140