DECLINED - [BUG] Caches found during a premium membership laspe do not count in my favorite point count

zsdeng15014

In June of this year, I let my premium membership laspe; however I renewed it in September. But the caches found during this laspe do not count when calculating my amount of favorite points. <_< Is this a bug? I think so. :huh:

Interesting. If you find 200 caches as a Regular Member and upgrade to Premium are you then awarded the Favorite Points for those finds? If the answer is yes, I think you found a bug.

Yup, happened to me too, my PM had lapsed for a week or so, I attended an event, found ~20 caches, then when I get my PM back, none of the favourites figures made sense. I emailed GSP about it, they responded and manually updated my Fav points - but it's still 'counting' wrong... seems to be giving me a new point every x8th instead of x0th cache.

AFAIK, favourite points are given for your TOTAL # of caches, not the # of caches found whilst a PM... ?

Geocaching Favorites is a simple way to track and share the caches that you enjoyed the most. For every 10 distinct caches that you have found, you will be able to Favorite 1 exceptional cache in your find history. The Favorites accumulated by a cache are displayed in search results and on the cache page so everyone can see which caches stand above the rest. Learn more about Geocaching Favorites.

http://support.Groundspeak.com/index.php?pg=kb.page&id=287

Edited by cjdl

This is the way the system is designed. Basic members who have never been premium get awarded favorite points for past finds as an enticement to upgrade, but once you have ever been premium, you do not get credit for finds logged while lapsed.

Wow. Lucky for me I have more favorite points then caches I care to mark as my favorites. PM or not. B)

This is the way the system is designed. Basic members who have never been premium get awarded favorite points for past finds as an enticement to upgrade, but once you have ever been premium, you do not get credit for finds logged while lapsed.

Errrr.... I call that false advertising. Per the knowledgebooks... it doesn't mention that, anywhere ^^

Geocaching Favorites is a simple way to track and share the caches that you enjoyed the most. For every 10 distinct caches that you have found, you will be able to Favorite 1 exceptional cache in your find history.

If I purchase a Premium Membership later, will I be awarded Favorite Points for the caches I found when I was a Basic Member?

Yes! If you upgrade to Premium Membership we will add up your past geocaching finds and award Favorite Points accordingly. From there you can visit the cache pages you found while still a Basic Member and "spend" the Favorite Points on the best ones.

My Favorite Points total doesn't seem to match my find count. Why?

Only the first "Found it!" log (or the equivalent "smiley" log for Webcam and Event Caches) posted to the cache page counts toward your total Favorite Points; duplicate finds are not calculated. Finds on caches that you own are also not included. The result is that your Favorite Points count may be slightly less than 10% of your total geocache finds.

Errrr.... I call that false advertising. Per the knowledgebooks... it doesn't mention that, anywhere ^^

nope...its very clearly spelled out

Who can earn Favorite Points?

Only Premium Members earn Favorite Points.

Nice out of context quote... no matter... it is promptly contradicted by:

If you upgrade to Premium Membership we will add up your past geocaching finds and award Favorite Points accordingly.

Where does it say this only happens once ? I was basic member, I upgraded, I got points... lapsed (for a week or 2), upgraded again, didn't get the points. Why not, what's the difference ?

If you upgrade to Premium Membership we will add up your past geocaching finds and award Favorite Points accordingly.

Where does it say this only happens once ? I was basic member, I upgraded, I got points... lapsed (for a week or 2), upgraded again, didn't get the points. Why not, what's the difference ?

Perhaps returning premium members are not considered upgrading members. You were, after all a premium member, and you are now a premium member. Where is the upgrade?

is out of context if you want to see it that way

it clearly tells you that if you upgrade you get retroactive award of points and ONLY PM earn favorite points...afaic you can only upgrade once...if you let your PM lapse it is your own choice....and signing up for it again is not an upgrade but a RENEWAL

the point is to get people to sign up for premium not abuse the system just to get favorite points...buy one month get your favorites...let it lapse for a year and get a month of PM...BINGO you got your favorite points again...folks at GC are not that naive

it is in effect a perk for being a PM, i would be quite pi***ed off if it wasn't a one time deal only and it was allowed as i described in the scenario above

you want the perks, pay the membership...plain and simple

Edited by t4e
is out of context if you want to see it that way

It was... but thats a minor detail :D

it clearly tells you that if you upgrade you get retroactive award of points and ONLY PM earn favorite points...afaic you can only upgrade once...if you let your PM lapse it is your own choice....and signing up for it again is not an upgrade but a RENEWAL

Disagee on this, dictionary definition (applicable to this) of an upgrade "an increase or improvement in one's service," If you continue your PM without a break, then I'd agree it's a renewal, but if you don't renew, then you are 'downgraded' t oa basic member, and you then upgrade again when buying PM again.

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/upgrade

the point is to get people to sign up for premium not abuse the system just to get favorite points...buy one month get your favorites...let it lapse for a year and get a month of PM...BINGO you got your favorite points again...folks at GC are not that naive

You can buy a month ? how ? :D I jest, ok hadn't considered that angle... that isn't really what we're talking about here though - it's people who have let their PM lapse for a short period of time, then upgraded again. I do agree that your scenario above, would seem a bit iffy. Would anyone REALLY upgrade JUST to get Favourite points ? :blink:

Perhaps it'd be best to remove a users favourite points altogether if you don't renew your PM, and you get them back if you upgrade again ?

it is in effect a perk for being a PM, i would be quite pi***ed off if it wasn't a one time deal only and it was allowed as i described in the scenario above

Personally, I don't really care that much about fav points - it's certainly not my reason for buying PM, but the bottom line is that nowhere does it say that if you lapse for a while, you don't get the points when you upgrade again. The knowledgebooks simply state that you get 1 point for every 10 caches found... and that if you upgrade, they are awarded retrospectively.

Nowhere, that i can see, does it say that you get 1 point for every 10 caches found WHILST a premium member, and that the retrospective points award is a one-time only deal.

you want the perks, pay the membership...plain and simple

I do agree, but perhaps the finer details of the perks should be made clearer - or the system changed !

Love n hugs,

Chris :D:laughing:

Offtopic comment: I do not understand why favourite points are a perk for being a PM.

As the topic is concerned:

I think the policy not to offer favourite points for lapses in PM-ship is ok, but should be mentioned in the knowledge book.

Cezanne

TPTB decided to give the favs to PMs as one of the perks. It's their choice and promotes premium membership. I get that. But not giving the points for a period of lapsed PM appears rather petty.

If an incentive to becoming a PM is you get all those favorite points, then the incentive to keeping your PM current is the ability to continue to earn your favorite points. It just depends on your point of view. But if I had a way to give them away or sell them on e-bay I have several hundred I would like to dump.