Should this new cache be approved? Dose it meet the requierments of a Vitual Cache?

Scouter John

The following cache is waiting for approvial, I have been informed that I should make it a real cache but due to the enviorment a real cache would not work

I would like to know based on the discription dose it meet the requierments and do you think it should be approved?

Requierments

I have been advised that if other geocachers think it sould be approved it will most likely be approved.

Thanks for your support

Scouter John

john.wilkinson@ucalgary.ca

Paint Pots Virtual Cache

A short walk of historical interest .

A relatively short, level trail takes you to the "Paint Pots", iron-rich cold springs that stain the surrounding soil a reddish-orange color. The First Nations people considered this site sacred and used the red clay in their

rock paintings, as well as to decorate their bodies and teepees. In the early 1900s, white people mined the iron-rich clay to use as a pigment in paint. The ochre color also prompted the naming of the Vermilion River.

The trail: The trail crosses a suspension bridge over the Vermilion River,continues through meadows colored by red and yellow clay beds and finally arrives at the Paint Pots. The Paint Pots were formed when water containing dissolved iron bubbled to the surface where the iron was deposited in a rim around the springs outlet. There are three colored

pools, as well as cone-shaped remnants of previous pools. Please do not walk on the clay beds, as this is a sensitive habitat, and the iron will also stain your boots and clothing.

To log this cache e-mail me with the answers or post a picture of you and your GPSR at the cache sitethe answers will be found on two signs at the site cords.

Site #1 N 51 10.197' W 116 09.481'

What happened here?

Site #2 H 51 10.223' W 116 09.498'

What makes the water in the two large pools different?

If a traditional absolutely cannot be placed there (even a micro) then I'd say it should be approved. In fact, it sounds like it's more interesting than a lot of other virtuals I've visited.

Good luck,

Paul

Actually that sounds like a good one. Because it is a sensitive habitat, it does sound like it is better suited for a virtual. However is there a way to place a micro without getting off the trail like on the back of a sign? If not, then it sounds like a nice virtual.

That moss-covered bucket I hailed as a treasure,

For often at noon, when I returned from the field,

I found it the source of an exquisite pleasure.

Samuel Woodworth The Old Oaken Bucket

I tend to agree that it should be approved.

It does sound like one I'd like to pay a visit to and find out the answers to your questions.

Being that it's in a sensitive area, I think a virtual is even more appropriate than a micro.

"The hardest thing to find is something that's not there!"

The verification questions may need improvement, its probably possible to find the answers online (although I havn't yet after a quick three minute google... came close though icon_smile.gif )

Looks like an excellent virtual candidate overall. Cool location!

I also think this is a good virtual cache candidate, assuming that there is NOT an area nearby the sensitive site, where a physical cache could be placed. It's unusual that the soil conditions will harm your shoes if you walk there, AND the habitat can be harmed if you walk there. Seems like a place where we definitely want to keep people on the designated trail to visit the cool spot you described. I agree with Mrs. Nazz that the verification can be tightened up a bit, maybe by adding "What is the first word on the second line of the sign?" or a similar question that cannot be answered through websurfing.

x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x

Some mornings, it just doesn't pay to chew through the leather straps. - Emo Phillips

quote:
Originally posted by Mr. Snazz:

its probably possible to find the answers online (although I havn't yet after a quick three minute google... came close though icon_smile.gif )

You sound like a fisherman. "I almost caught the big one, it swam by my line, I swear!

This one is a good candidate for a virtual or micro. If there are a lot of people there that can rule out the micro.

=====================

Wherever you go there you are.

Thanks for the input I had not see that page on the site So I think I will have to come up with another question for the one stop

quote:
Originally posted by BrownMule:

With all respect. These type virtuals are easy to find on the internet. I found at least one of the answers easily

http://www.parkscanada.gc.ca/pn-np/bc/kootenay/natcul/natcul32_e.asp on simple Google Search.

_

On the other hand, you have different fingers.

_

http://img.Groundspeak.com/cache/15777_2200.gif

I have changed one question after some input and sugestions as to what can bee found on-line

here is the revised question

Based on the information on the sign what is the symbol on the bottom of the sign?

quote:
Originally posted by Scouter John:

The following cache is waiting for approvial, I have been informed that I should make it a real cache but due to the enviorment a real cache would not work

I would like to know based on the discription dose it meet the requierments and do you think it should be approved?

http://www.geocaching.com/articles/requirements.asp

I have been advised that if other geocachers think it sould be approved it will most likely be approved.

Thanks for your support

Scouter John

john.wilkinson@ucalgary.ca)

Paint Pots Virtual Cache

A short walk of historical interest .

A relatively short, level trail takes you to the "Paint Pots", iron-rich cold springs that stain the surrounding soil a reddish-orange color. The First Nations people considered this site sacred and used the red clay in their

rock paintings, as well as to decorate their bodies and teepees. In the early 1900s, white people mined the iron-rich clay to use as a pigment in paint. The ochre color also prompted the naming of the Vermilion River.

The trail: The trail crosses a suspension bridge over the Vermilion River,continues through meadows colored by red and yellow clay beds and finally arrives at the Paint Pots. The Paint Pots were formed when water containing dissolved iron bubbled to the surface where the iron was deposited in a rim around the springs outlet. There are three colored

pools, as well as cone-shaped remnants of previous pools. Please do not walk on the clay beds, as this is a sensitive habitat, and the iron will also stain your boots and clothing.

To log this cache e-mail me with the answers or post a picture of you and your GPSR at the cache sitethe answers will be found on two signs at the site cords.

Site #1 N 51 10.197' W 116 09.481'

What happened here?

What makes the water in the two large pools different?

Real caches are aloud in Canadian National Parks

So long as they do not impact the enviorment

So that's why I set a virtual cache, as well there is no place that a micro could be well hidden so non-geocachers would not find it.

Thanks For the Input

Scouter John, thanks for sharing the good news. I'm glad your virtual cache was approved, as everyone who posted here agreed that it met the requirements.

For future reference, everyone remember this thread, or bookmark it: it IS possible to get a virtual cache approved, and it IS possible to undo an initial decision to archive a cache. You just have to have the proper cache in order to do it.

x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x

Some mornings, it just doesn't pay to chew through the leather straps. - Emo Phillips