DECLINED - [BUG] Saved GPX / download as PQ

arminus

Hi all,

there was a thread on this topic about a year ago. I wonder what the status is ? I've uploaded a GPX file as generated by a PQ (so the GPX is fully compliant to the geocaching.com format), I see it in http://www.geocaching.com/pocket/saved.aspx - but it doesn't show up in the iPhone app's PQ download page. Is this supposed to work now or has the feature been skipped in the meantime ?

Thanks,

Armin

Ok, I see that the website has the ability to change the coords...and then this info goes into the PQ? If I don't run a PQ, will this info cross over into the app, or will I only see the change if I run a PQ.

Man, this would have been UBER helpful while trying to navigate the peace series.

Full functionality is not available yet. The first step was allowing users to correct the coordinates on the cache page. We are now working to get those corrections into PQs, GPX downloads, the API and the beta map.

On Nov 6 I uploaded a GPX file to Saved GPX files and then downloaded it to my Ipod Touch. All worked OK.

On Nov 13 I Uploaded two more files and deleted the one from Nov 6.

These two files show up in Geocaching.com but I am unable to dowload then to my Ipod Touch. I also cannot delete the file from Nov 6 from My Ipod touch.

I have also tried on a friends computer to download a different file to his Ipod touch from geocaching.com but it also is NO-GO.

This feature will be going away shortly. We are instead focusing resources on a better solution, which is allowing users to "correct" coordinates for puzzle and multicaches and have those coordinates delivered in their "normal" PQs instead.

I am a bit confused now. The ability to change coordinates is ok, but I simply just want to upload a gpx files from gsak to geocaching.com and then download this as a PC to my iphone.

This feature will be going away shortly. We are instead focusing resources on a better solution, which is allowing users to "correct" coordinates for puzzle and multicaches and have those coordinates delivered in their "normal" PQs instead.
I am a bit confused now. The ability to change coordinates is ok, but I simply just want to upload a gpx files from gsak to geocaching.com and then download this as a PC to my iphone.
I've been using Dropbox to get GPX files with corrected coordinates onto my Android phone. They have an iPhone version. The free basic account with Dropbox provides enough space for transferring GPX files.

Corrected coords are all well and good... But uploading a GPX and seeing it as a PQ is great for laying out a day plan. If I had to choose I'd go with the uploaded GPX every time!! Not sure why Groundspeak would consider them equivalent or even mutually exclusive.

Edited by kozayagi

I have not been able to geocache the last few months but I looking to get back into it over xmas break.

I updated to Geocaching app 4.5.8 on iPhone 4S and I updated my pocket queries. I downloaded my pocket queries then loaded them into GSAK. I do this to filter out caches that pocket queries cannot do. I remove events that have already taken place and exclude caches where the last 2 logs are DNF.

I then export to a GPX file and uploaded the GPX to my profile. I see it in my profile view.

However, I cannot see anyway to download it to my iPhone Geocaching app. I used to do this regularly. I tried logging out/in and event reinstalling.

What changed/how do I do this?

Thanks

The Thunderbirds.

I have not been able to geocache the last few months but I looking to get back into it over xmas break.

I updated to Geocaching app 4.5.8 on iPhone 4S and I updated my pocket queries. I downloaded my pocket queries then loaded them into GSAK. I do this to filter out caches that pocket queries cannot do. I remove events that have already taken place and exclude caches where the last 2 logs are DNF.

I then export to a GPX file and uploaded the GPX to my profile. I see it in my profile view.

However, I cannot see anyway to download it to my iPhone Geocaching app. I used to do this regularly. I tried logging out/in and event reinstalling.

What changed/how do I do this?

Thanks

The Thunderbirds.

Great so the feature is removed. darn. Just wasted 30 bucks on GSAK license that I now cannot use on my iPhone. Since you have broken the GPX. Are there any plans to enhance the search? I always filter out caches with 2 DNF. this saves me trouble of hunting potentially missing caches.

What's so hard about leaving the EXCELLENT feature of allowing us to upload a GPX to the iPhone app in place.

We are instead focusing resources on a better solution, which is allowing users to "correct" coordinates for puzzle and multicaches and have those coordinates delivered in their "normal" PQs instead.

Since this feature seems to not be working at the moment (I can upload GPX files but they don't show on the iPhone), maybe disabling this feature on your web site would make it clearer that this is no longer working by intent rather than being a bug.

What's so hard about leaving the EXCELLENT feature of allowing us to upload a GPX to the iPhone app in place.

We are instead focusing resources on a better solution, which is allowing users to "correct" coordinates for puzzle and multicaches and have those coordinates delivered in their "normal" PQs instead.

From my 18 November 2011 - 05:53 PM post: "Corrected coords are all well and good... But uploading a GPX and seeing it as a PQ is great for laying out a day plan. If I had to choose I'd go with the uploaded GPX every time!! Not sure why Groundspeak would consider them equivalent or even mutually exclusive. "

It would be nice to know why Groundspeak see this solution with corrected coords better? I wolud very much like so have the ability to upload a GPX files from GSAK, and create a PQ that can be downloaded to my Iphone. The way of making routes on Groundspeak is useless, because you can only make a startpoint and a ending point. In that way it is impossible to create a route following specifik roads.

The way of making routes on Groundspeak is useless, because you can only make a startpoint and a ending point. In that way it is impossible to create a route following specifik roads.

Just grab any point along the route and drag it to the road you want. If you use enough points, you can make it go anywhere you want.

The problem with this is the POOR filtering capabilities of the PQ system.

The reason I liked this feature request is so that I could create my OWN GPX lists in GSAK that can't be created with a PQ, then download them to my iOS app.

Main reason why in the iPhone forum I suggested the feature of importing GPX files to our iOS apps.

So it ISN'T just about getting corrected coordinates. It's about being able to create custom GPX files/lists of several hundred (up to 1000 caches) of various caches that can't currently be created by PQ's currently.

TGC