Nuvi 40 LM

I'm using a pc.I can send waypoints to it but I get my favorites/waypoints from it It says "There was a problem communicating with Nuvi 40 LM Unit ID ####### (G:). An error occured while reading the following file(s)G:/gpx/current.gpx. I bought this about a month ago,I guess it's still under warranty.I don't want to have to send it back though,I'd like to be able to fix it.

(Edited 1 - 3 after input from sussamb.)

Before you send it back, try these tests, listed in increasing order of the probability it will break things. Before you start, you may want to copy all the files from the Nuvi out to your hard disk for backup, but it is time consuming, and personally I wouldn't bother - I'd send it back if it breaks the unit.

1. Try to open g:\gpx\current.gpx in notepad - though the drive letter may change. Any errors? Does the file exist?

2. I see 4 possibilities here : missing file, bad entry in the file, corrupted file, or file too large. What is the size of this file? Don't post the file or its contents - it will contain your home address, among other things.

3. If the file exists, rename this file to something else (say, current.txt) and restart the unit.

4. Check the Nuvi drive for errors (right click on Nuvi, properties, tools tab, Error checking...) and automatically fix file system errors. Do not scan for and attempt recovery of bad sectors.

5. There is a device.xml file in the Nuvi directory. It is possible (though unlikely) that this is corrupted. If you delete it and restart the Nuvi, it will be recreated. I had problems with POI Loader on one of my Nuvis that was solved by this procedure.

6. Factory reset - I don't know if this procedure will work on the 40LM. Even if it works, it will wipe out all user entered data on your Nuvi, so consider this a last resort before sending it back.

It is also possible that Nuvi, in their infinite wisdom, broke compatibility again. In which case there's nothing we can do here.

By the way, instead of loading waypoints into Favorites, also consider using GSAK and the paperless Nuvi macro.

Edited by Chrysalides

Hmm, that's a good point. Current.gpx is generated by the GPSr. Try this first:

1. If current.gpx is there, rename it to something else.

2. If current.gpx is not there, did you add in your home coordinates?

3. If you have added your home coordinates and current.gpx is still not there, try faking one. Run notepad, don't type anything into it, save it as "g:\gpx\current.gpx" - you should have a 0 byte file.