Search for caches along a route

TikimanHSA

I just had a question regarding searching for caches along a route. I am going on a weekend trip and wanted to see if there is a way to do a search for caches along that route, without having to check ever zip code along the way. I'm not a programmer by any stretch of the imagination, so I would not know what is involved to implement this feature. Either specify a route and a proxity along that route, or even just to be able to search by city names would be great. Let me know what you think.

Later,

TikimanHSA (Hunter)

An interesting feature, but VERY complex to incorporate.

If you think about it, right now, you have results of caches within 100 miles (or whatever distance) from a single point of lat/lon. On a route, you not only have to have the caches within X distance from the beginning and ending points, but every point along the route in between.

Mapblast in its routing features only exports the turning points on the route (I'm not really clear on this, but I've heard tell that it does that). But even that is not sufficient. If I'm going from Plainfield, Illinois to Des Moines, Iowa, I'll be making several turns until I get onto I-80. But once on I-80, I won't make any turns until I get to Des Moines.

The best way to implement this would be to see your path and overlay the caches on a map - which is essentially what the maps system already does on the Geocaching site.

Markwell

My Geocaching Page

I agree, this would be pretty complex to add as a feature of the site.

When I want to find the caches along a route I either use the map view or, to be really geeky, I import all of the caches into Streets and Trips. Then, I can see all of the cache locations overlayed on a map with my route and even add each location as a "stop". In this case, S&T optimizes (sometimes) a route including all of my cache stops. With a little tweaking, I have found it to be pretty efficient.

tvn.gif

quote:
Originally posted by TikimanHSA:

I just had a question regarding searching for caches along a route. I am going on a weekend trip and wanted to see if there is a way to do a search for caches along that route, without having to check ever zip code along the way. I'm not a programmer by any stretch of the imagination, so I would not know what is involved to implement this feature. Either specify a route and a proxity along that route, or even just to be able to search by city names would be great. Let me know what you think.

Later,

TikimanHSA (Hunter)

I was out yesterday seeking two distant caches. I had my Etrex Legend on Map with the scale set to .8 miles. Caches kept apearing and I was able to chase them down pretty easy. I was able to pick up 3 'surprise' caches along the route that way. Of course, I had no idea of what I was getting into because I hadn't seen the cache page! It was still fun, though!

Bluespreacher

I use MS Streets and Trips 2002. I download the waypoints in .loc format and combine and convert them with geobuddy (www.geobuddy.com). I then import them into Streets and Trips.

S+T 2002 has the ability to do exactly what you want. You can create a route to your camping location and then search along the route out to a specific distance to find caches.

While S+T doesn't upload or download from your GPS there is a program called GPSUtil that will read the S+T route saved in the .est files that S+T uses. GPSutil will then upload the waypoints and route for you.

The hardest part is that first import into S+T. After that keeping your State/Province up to date is fairly easy if you do it once a week.

Cheers,

Rob

Mobile Cache Command

4525_1300.gif

quote:
Originally posted by mrcpu:

While S+T doesn't upload or download from your GPS there is a program called GPSUtil that will read the S+T route saved in the .est files that S+T uses. GPSutil will then upload the waypoints and route for you.

Rob, coach me through this. I looked for a long time to find a way to export info from MS Streets. Now that you've stated there is a way, I've been trying to get it to work. Not been to successful thus far.

Make it go, Rob.

MajBach

You can't have everything,where would you put it?

1compass.gif

I just got Streets and Trips 2002 and it works perfectly. Along with GEO Buddy It doses exactly what I wanted. I've done a few test. Now next time I have a weekend off I'll give a field test. icon_biggrin.gificon_smile.gificon_cool.gif

Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal: a mind-bogglingly stupid animal, it assumes that if you can't see it, it can't see you - daft as a brush, but very very ravenous

I just got Streets and Trips 2002 and it works perfectly. Along with GEO Buddy It doses exactly what I wanted. I've done a few test. Now next time I have a weekend off I'll give a field test. icon_biggrin.gificon_smile.gificon_cool.gif

Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal: a mind-bogglingly stupid animal, it assumes that if you can't see it, it can't see you - daft as a brush, but very very ravenous

You can start here, but that gets pretty old pretty quick waiting for the zoom.

For each "search results" page, there should be a link at the top of the list for a map that says "Visualize: View cache map of X" where X is the territory you're in, country, province, state, etc. If there's not, try going up a level in geography. For example, if I'm searching Alberta, Canada, there's no map for Alberta, but I CAN find a Canadian Map.

You can also access the maps from the detailed cache pages (example: Country: Bermuda {country map} or State: Illinois {state map}).

The other site for Geocaching Maps is over here, but it is not a "live link" to the Geocaching database.

Markwell

My Geocaching Page