Abandoned and Maintenance Needed

Rayswrld

As a relatively new cacher (eighty at this time) I have a few questions that I hope can be answered. They deal with those people that own the cache. Among this eighty finds I have there have been a few DNFs which are frustrating. There are also some that need maintenance but don't receive it. In order to relieve my frustration I message others to see if they can give me some help when I go back. In many cases this happens but in others that is not the case. There are a few specific examples I wish to provide.

The first cache Is a maintenance problem. It is cache GC2Q0FB by Zoppoter. The last few finders have said the log is full and when I went recently I found that to be the case. But there has been no new log put there. In fact Zoppoter hasn't been on geocaching.com since 7/28/11.

The second cache is also maintenance. It is GC2Z3JQ by joebagofdonut3 . I found this one open and the contents strewn about. I messaged the owner but have not heard back. I checked the profile page and see that the owner hasn't been on since 10/9/11 and has only found 20 caches since joining in February.

The third was a DNF. It is GC33M6J by sujit. This was placed by a troop of scouts but noone has been online since the day it was hidden, 9/9/11. I messaged them for a hint but have not heard from them either.

My questions or concerns are what happens in these cases?

Is there a monitoring system that catches these abandoned caches?

Is there a requisite number of finds you need before you can hide a cache yourself? If not it seems there should be.

Is there someone to contact in these situations? Someone who does monitor problems such as these.

I have yet to find a Boy Scout cache that has been maintained or has coordinates that are anywhere near accurate.

But for caches that need maintenance There is a need maintenance log. For a cache that has a full log it is nice if you throw in a scrap of paper for a log. If the cache is open and the contents spread around I would gather what I could and put it back together and, if need be, add a scrap of paper for a log. Again file a NM log. This probably will not fix things in the cases you cited. But if a cache has a long history of DNF's I file a DNF and and a maintenance needed log asking the cache owner to check on the cache. If it is in my normal caching area I'll check back in a few weeks and if the maintenance has not been preformed I'll file a Needs Archive and let the reviewer deal with it. Also, reviewers will generally not archive a cache if it is just a full or wet log. As for a monitoring system, no there is no formal system. Some reviewers do sweeps for disabled caches, none that I am aware of do sweeps for NM's. It requires the community involvement. As for having to find a certain number of caches before hiding one, well, that is a 3rd rail subject and I will leave it alone.

There are reviewers and like you I fine it frustrating that many CO don't take care of their caches. I don't find it hard to believe that you haven't gotten a response to a message I have only gotten a response from someone selling a GPS and a fellow local cacher who I know no one else has ever responded. I do carry a couple of log books both micro and otherwise now for the full log problem you can find and print them online (Geocaching University). I don't think not being online for a couple of months is a big deal if they haven't been online a year then you may want to put a NA (Needs Archiving) if you think it's missing and it hasn't been found in months. If you find a cache strewn about put it back together as best you can then leave a note on the cache page and send a note to the owner and a Needs Maintenance log. I am a newbie also and had to take several months off for health reasons and that may be the case with some cache owners. As for the boy scouts contact the local troop and tell them the problem and if they have no interest in the cache ask if you can adopt it. Remember this is a game people quit playing and life happens. Tim2akat2

My take on it:

GC2Q0FB - You've put a NM on it. Good. Cache owners aren't expected to leap into action immediately to maintain their cache. Around here, nobody starts getting twitchy until 6 - 8 weeks has passed with no response from the owner. I'd put such a cache on our Watchlist. Then, if there was no response from the owner after 2 months I'd add a Needs Archive log. A NA log goes through to the local reviewer who will then look at the situation and take the appropriate action.

GC2Z3JQ - Similar. I'd put a NM log on it as well as explaining all the details as you have done in your log. Then I'd follow the same course as above.

GC33M6J - You DNF it. That's all (at this stage). Just watch it over the next few weeks and see whether anyone else finds it.

The above comments are based on what would happen around here (UK). I was interested to see jholly's comment above about generally reviewers not archiving caches for full/wet logs - Over here they will archive them if it's an on-going situation and the CO is not responding to NM logs. They usually put a "reviewers warning" on the cache i.e. "Get this fixed within x weeks or your cache will be archived." :D

MrsB

My questions or concerns are what happens in these cases?

Not unique, by any means. The fact that the owners haven't been on GC.com for XXXX days is a fact of life -- life gets in the way, bills to pay, kids to school, etc. etc. The time spans that you noted are not long at all.

I am guessing a cache in disrepair hasn't gotten that way in that period of time.

You did not post a "Needs Maintenance" log for the one (1) that probably should have it.

Full or wet log usually just the log mentioning same suffices.

Last of the three, you simply did not find it -- nothing more, nothing less. What would you have the CO do about it? It may sound like a crude way of putting it, but the point is, others found it and you didn't. This happens. It doesn't mean anything.

Is there a monitoring system that catches these abandoned caches?

For one thing, I do not see that the caches are "abandoned". Maybe they need action by the CO, but as long as the CO is active, you simply cannot consider them abandoned.

Certainly, not all cache owners maintain their caches as they should, but "should" is subjective. What I feel should be, isn't always the case; likewise, what you feel should be isn't always the case, either.

The most direct answer to this question: Yes, there is a system -- you, me and about 2 million other cachers.

Is there a requisite number of finds you need before you can hide a cache yourself? If not it seems there should be.

The guidelines state that a cacher should have twenty or so finds before placing a hide. There is no "rule".

A number of finds before placing a hide gives players an idea of what is to be expected (usually).

I have seen excellent hides placed by people with less than 20 finds (a couple with "0" finds); I have seen junk hides in similar circumstances; as well as not-so-good hides by well seasoned cachers.

Is there someone to contact in these situations? Someone who does monitor problems such as these.

Almost a repeat of the second question. Although 2 of the 3 that you listed, don't seem to be much of a "problem".

Try some of this link for "official" answers to many of your questions: From the Groundspeak Knowledge Books

http://support.Groundspeak.com/index.php?pg=kb.page&id=57

Edited by Gitchee-Gummee

Thanks to everyone. I have added an NM to the one that I hadn't done before. And in thinking about it more I guess since I am new and so into it that I am online every day and out searching every chance I get, I think everyone else is too. After reading the replies I guess that was an outrageous assumption. And the truth is that I will probably slow down and be like most others in the future. I will watch caches to see if they are maintained or found in the future and act on it accordingly. I will also acquire some nano and small logs to keep with me in case I find a full log book. I have thrown in a piece of paper on a cache without a log book already but not much you can do if you come upon a nano with full log and you don't have a new one to add. Again, thanks for all the thoughts and advice.

There's no need to "slow down"... just don't let your expectations get in the way of things. Everybody has their standards, and most of the time theirs will not match yours.

There are a lot of geocachers out there, all with different ideas and concepts as to how to do it and/or how to do it right.

Don't lose the exuberance or excitement about caching -- that is what makes it worthwhile. There's a lot of "good" out there, but one thing to keep in mind... ya can't have good, without having bad, too.

File the NM log when appropriate, and go on with the fun. :)

Don't lose the exuberance or excitement about caching -- that is what makes it worthwhile. There's a lot of "good" out there, but one thing to keep in mind... ya can't have good, without having bad, too.

I could not agree more...

Like you I'm a newbee or a feather weight in the caching world..

but after a little bit, it actually becomes part of the challenge to repair and rejuvanate damaged caches.

I now have an entire section of my geocaching backpack that has items just for that purpose.

(yes I now have a geocaching backpack--hmmmm---"my name is GRElee and I'm an geocacheaholic"..lol)

Don't slow down - it's all fun and it gets us off the couch !

Cheers