GPS

Scott Disick

Until you get your hands on a GPS you could always cache a different way. There are some cachers that cache without any GPS or Smart Phones. What they do is use something like Google Maps or Google Earth and put in the coords of the cache and zoom in to get a close up the the area. After reading the hints they go to the place that they saw on the map and start looking. The down side is that these maps can be spot on or off by a hundred fee or so. The up side is that their skills for finding the hide gets real good real fast. So just using clues from the cache page such as the cache name, description, the "hint" and past logs these cachers are finding hundreds of caches.

tried using an iphone today but we couldnt find anything, i think google earth was off by atleast 15-30 feet on all of the caches we tried to find

If you didn't find anything how did you come to the conclusion that you were 15-30 feet off? For all you know you were right on top of some and just missed them. That happens to experienced cachers too.

What were the typical cache Sizes and Difficulty ratings you were going after?

Just for ref,I have been out looking for caches without a GPSr and i have done quite well so far,About 3 weeks ago i purchased a Garmin Oregon 450T well the wife payed most of the money as a birthday present for me,But as its not my birthday until tomorrow 8 Nov ( 60 ) she will not let me start to use it LOL,But over the last few weeks it has taught me that you can find a lot of caches with a GPSr.

tried using an iphone today but we couldnt find anything, i think google earth was off by atleast 15-30 feet on all of the caches we tried to find

If you didn't find anything how did you come to the conclusion that you were 15-30 feet off? For all you know you were right on top of some and just missed them. That happens to experienced cachers too.

What were the typical cache Sizes and Difficulty ratings you were going after?

The first cache was supposed to be relativeley easy with a normal size rating, but when we searched the coordinates the iphone said the cache was in the middle of the road we parked on. Tried to use the hints to our advantage but we just couldnt find it and ended up wandering around the woods for about 45 mintues. The second cache the iphone said it was in one spot but using the hints we realized it was about 1000 feet down the trail we were on. Again, we ended up walking around just checking every nook and cranny of where we thought it might be but with no luck. If I was'nt so familiar with the area we would have been way way off from where the cache was supposed to be.