Transferring GSAK to GDAK

LthrWrk

OK... so I must be stupid this weekend. I cannot seem to fathom how to work this Android App...

First I purchased it today.

Then if I had hair I would be pulling on it. So a few questions

1. Where are instructions to use this app?

2. Do not see a search feature, other than find nearest caches.

3. Since I entered username/password, I am logged into geocaching.com as a Visitor which can do squat.

4. How do you get the PQ downloaded to the phone?

5. GSAK/GDAK should work but do not load to my phone with usb cable is hooked up? This one I think has something to do with my phone.

I guess you missed my previous post. Here are the instructions from the app market, don't understand how you could have goeen the app without reading them. They seem pretty clear cut to me. BTW that application does not use PQ's

Description

You can use the GDAK app for offline geocaching. This app uses databases created by the Geocaching Swiss Army Knife (GSAK) program, so you will also need to have GSAK installed on your PC (http://gsak.net) and create one or more databases before using GDAK.

To use GDAK, just use Windows Explorer to copy your GSAK database folder to the subfolder named GDAK on your Android's SD card. If you have more than one GSAK database you can copy one or more database folders. Each folder you copy will be available in GDAK.

The GDAK folder is created when you install the GDAK app on your Android. GDAK will use the copied database folders for your offline caching. (To find the location of your GSAK database folders, go to the "Tools" menu in GSAK and select "GSAK Folder Finder", then select "Databases" from the dropdown, then click the "Show" button.)

Once you’ve copied the folders, GDAK is ready to go!

For more information look at http://wolojoli.woelmuis.nl

Perhaps the missing step is that you need to get you Android phone to show up on the computer as a removable drive. This is done as follows: when you connect the USB cable between the phone and the computer, the status line at the top of the screen on the phone will show that a USB connection has been made. Pull the list down so you see the messages and select the message "USB connection". You will see several choices; select the "USB Mass storage" choice. After a few seconds your computer should see the drive. Note that at this time the SD card in the phone is that drive and during the time you have this working, the phone will not see the SD card. Now you find the folder on the computer where the GSAK database is stored that you want to GDAK to see. Copy the entire folder to the GDAK folder on the SD card in the phone. Once this is done, disconnect the removable drive (USB connected phone) or simply use the dialog to change the selection from USB Mass Storage to Charge Only. Now GDAK on the phone should be able to see this database.

Thanks Hyner

I thought that would work made sense. Though this Samsung Vibrant, even with the card in "mount', does not take a file transfer.

Beginning to think that there is a problem with the phone itself. I put a picture on the card but in the phone I still cannot access the SD card.

This is an early Vibrant, where it has a 16gb memory and a 2gb sd card.

Could it be that the information is in the RAM but GDAK cannot read it? Could not find where GDAK will do that?

I have a tablet with android on it. I installed the gdak app and transferred the gsak folders over as per the instructions but gdak still doesn't load anything up. I don't know what I am doing wrong.

I guess you missed my previous post. Here are the instructions from the app market, don't understand how you could have goeen the app without reading them. They seem pretty clear cut to me. BTW that application does not use PQ's

Description

You can use the GDAK app for offline geocaching. This app uses databases created by the Geocaching Swiss Army Knife (GSAK) program, so you will also need to have GSAK installed on your PC (http://gsak.net) and create one or more databases before using GDAK.

To use GDAK, just use Windows Explorer to copy your GSAK database folder to the subfolder named GDAK on your Android's SD card. If you have more than one GSAK database you can copy one or more database folders. Each folder you copy will be available in GDAK.

The GDAK folder is created when you install the GDAK app on your Android. GDAK will use the copied database folders for your offline caching. (To find the location of your GSAK database folders, go to the "Tools" menu in GSAK and select "GSAK Folder Finder", then select "Databases" from the dropdown, then click the "Show" button.)

I have a tablet with android on it. I installed the gdak app and transferred the gsak folders over as per the instructions but gdak still doesn't load anything up. I don't know what I am doing wrong.

You do know that you have to tell GDAK where to look for the data, right ?

open GDAK and then go to

settings and then database location

I don't appreciate the condescending tone of your response.

I do know that I need to tell GDAK where to look, but it turns out that the tablet I have doesn't allow my computer to directly see the sd card, only the root folder. So when I copied the database folders over to the tablet I then had to dismount from the usb connection, and then use the tablet browser to move everything to the card.

It works fine now(( Thanks to my tenacity to figure things out on my own)).

People turn to forums to get help from there piers who are using the same technology.

Not to get scoffed at because they don't know something that you think they should already know.

open GDAK and then go to

I do know that I need to tell GDAK where to look, but it turns out that the tablet I have doesn't allow my computer to directly see the sd card, only the root folder.

If you can see the root folder, you should also see /mnt/sdcard. This is where your SD card contents show up. Edited by dakboy

I use GDAK regularly on my phone and sometimes also on my tablet.

(I used GSAK databases previously, but now I switched to the tool GAPP, which has an option to export databases for GDAK. But this should not make a difference.)

Its all about "sqlite.db3".

I have the following directories on the phone:

I have the folder GDAK in /mnt/sdcard

I selected "/mnt/sdcard/GDAK" in the GDAK settings as Database Location.

In that folder I have one folder per Database. And in each folder I have the file sqlite.db3 which comes from i.e. GSAK.

For example DB1 & DB2 are stored in these files:

/mnt/sdcard/GDAK/DB1/sqlite.db3

/mnt/sdcard/GDAK/DB2/sqlite.db3

That way I can select between the databases DB1 and DB2 in the setting "Database Name" or via the Database-Icon in GDAK.

When a newly copied database is first opened it takes a bit longer because the database is slightly restructured.

There's a Macro for GSAK especially for the Export to GDAK:

http://gsak.net/board/index.php?act=ST&f=29&t=22016

(I have not tried it out as I don't use GSAK anymore)

About tablets:

Tablets with Android 3 & 4 usually have two sdcard folders. One is "/mnt/sdcard" and is stored on the internal flash memory of the tablet. The other is "/mnt/sdcard2" and refers the the "real" sdcard. The latter is read-only on many tablets, or can only be written with special tools (i.e. tablets file manager) or when formatted to i.e. exFAT. Therefore I recommend to store GDAK databases on "/mnt/sdcard" only.

There are many possibilities to transfer tha GSAK Database to an Android Phone/Tablet. Via USB-Cable is one way. Other transfer the file via "DropBox".

Personally I use the app "FTPServer" and use some FTP Client (Total Commander in that case) on the PC to access the Phone in the local network via WiFi. On the tablet, I often use a file manager app with SMB/Lan Capabilities to access the shares on my NAS. (In that case Total Commander for Android with the LAN Plugin).

Edited by SKAMS

I don't appreciate the condescending tone of your response.

I do know that I need to tell GDAK where to look, but it turns out that the tablet I have doesn't allow my computer to directly see the sd card, only the root folder. So when I copied the database folders over to the tablet I then had to dismount from the usb connection, and then use the tablet browser to move everything to the card.

It works fine now(( Thanks to my tenacity to figure things out on my own)).

People turn to forums to get help from there piers who are using the same technology.

Not to get scoffed at because they don't know something that you think they should already know.

open GDAK and then go to

Wow, I'm late in replying to this but I had forgotten all about this thread.

Sorry if my reply was taken as condescending. That wasn't my intention.

Yes people come to the forums looking for help and often they get wise remarks or worse. I didn't mean anything like that. I just wanted

to eliminate the obvious before getting to a more involved solution to the problem. Most of the time when threads like this one are posted,

the OP is a newer cacher who might not know the obvious.

I am also having this problem. I have used the macro to copy the databases to my Samsung Galaxy S2 and I have manually copied the databases there. When I pick a database, it does show me the name of my databases, but once I click on one, it says that there are "no caches".

Anyone have any idea how to get GDAK to read the information in the databases and load the caches?

Thanks,

Michael

Description

I absolutely HATE it when heartless people (see above) post comments like "don't understand how you could have goeen [sic] the app without reading them. They seem pretty clear cut to me."

What a rude reply! Walt; how do you think the original poster felt when you left such a rude comment? I realize this was 9 years ago, but I JUST got my first Droid phone, and have the EXACT SAME QUESTION. It was an EXCELLENT question! All you had to do was leave instructions on how to do what he (or she) was trying to do. NOT SOMETHING RUDE like your reply. Try to think how it will affect someone's feelings in the future, please.

Like someone else said on here, people come here for help, not to be belittled because they can't figure out how to do something.

I've downloaded lots of apps, and I never read the instructions, because it is usually pretty obvious how to use the app. But GDAK sure is not!

Now, I just got a Galaxy S4, and I STILL can't load a GSAK database. My GSAK DB's are on my windows 7 machine, in the following folder:

C:\User\Jim\AppData\Roaming\gsak\data

There are several folders there, each one holding several files which make up the individual Databases.

I tried copying the whole folder to my Droid's \Card\Cache_DB folder, but GDAK STILL can't see them when I try and point GDAK to that folder. They just show up as empty (and they really are not). What file extension is GDAK looking for?

It seems to default to a folder called /storage/emulated/0, which I can't anywhere on either the SD card, or the "built-in" file system.

I absolutely HATE it when heartless people (see above) post comments like "don't understand how you could have goeen [sic] the app without reading them. They seem pretty clear cut to me."

What a rude reply! Walt; how do you think the original poster felt when you left such a rude comment? I realize this was 9 years ago, but I JUST got my first Droid phone, and have the EXACT SAME QUESTION. It was an EXCELLENT question! All you had to do was leave instructions on how to do what he (or she) was trying to do. NOT SOMETHING RUDE like your reply. Try to think how it will affect someone's feelings in the future, please.

Like someone else said on here, people come here for help, not to be belittled because they can't figure out how to do something.

I've downloaded lots of apps, and I never read the instructions, because it is usually pretty obvious how to use the app. But GDAK sure is not!

Now, I just got a Galaxy S4, and I STILL can't load a GSAK database. My GSAK DB's are on my windows 7 machine, in the following folder:

There are several folders there, each one holding several files which make up the individual Databases.

I tried copying the whole folder to my Droid's \Card\Cache_DB folder, but GDAK STILL can't see them when I try and point GDAK to that folder. They just show up as empty (and they really are not). What file extension is GDAK looking for?

It seems to default to a folder called /storage/emulated/0, which I can't anywhere on either the SD card, or the "built-in" file system.

What a rude reply! Walt gives you step by step instructions and you call him out as rude.

I think instead of giving you an answer that you would class as rude, I won't give you an answer at all.

On your phone, after you install GDAK, there will be a GDAK folder. You copy the folder on your PC named the same as the GSAK database(s) you want on your phone to that GDAK folder.

Someone mentioned a macro. There is no need for a macro for this process. It is a straight folder copy. And above you mentioned a "\Card\Cache_DB". I dunno what that is on your phone, but that is not where the GSAK folders need to go.

On my phone, I cannot get to the folder where GDAK lives (it is off the root on internal memory) from my PC. The PC only sees the SD card. So on the SD card I created a folder called "GDAK Work". I copy my GSAK folders there and then use the android app "EZ File Explorer" to move the GSAK folder from my "GDAK Work" folder to the "GDAK" folder.

If you aren't sure what you are looking at FROM WHERE, take the SD card out of your phone and put it in your PC to look at the structure. You are looking for 2 things....

1. Compare what you see there to what you see when you hook your phone up to your PC. If ti is the same, then your rig works like mine. Your PC see the SD card, not the internal memory.

2. Look for the GDAK folder. If it is there, that's where the GSAK data needs to go and you can copy it there this way. If you do NOT see the GDAK folder there, and you have verified that your PC sees your SD card when you hook your phone up to it, as mine does, then your GDAK is probably on your internal memory vs. the SD card and you will have to do what I do. (See above).

I did try moving my GDAK to my SD card, but I ran into issues and I did not feel like figuring that out so I stuck with my solution above. If I updated my data more often I would kleep looking for a better solution, but this works fine for me.

The way GDAK works is that it takes an entire GSAK database, regardless how big. Let's say you have a GSAK database named Home. Then you will note that you have a folder

C:\User\Jim\AppData\Roaming\gsak\data\Home

and this folder contains several files.

As you attach your phone to the computer via USB cable, the Android OS will have some options for how to make this connection. On my Droid I see 4 options. If you directly can see on the computer that it has attached as a drive right as you connect it, then you are probably good to go. If not, then on the phone pull down the message bar at the top of the display and under Ongoing select"USB connection". Use the USB Mass Storage" selection. After a few seconds the phone should now be visible on the computer as a removeable drive. Use Windows explorer to look at the root of that drive. You should find various things there (DCIM for the camera photos, etc). Assuming you have GDAK installed, you should also see a GDAK folder there. You copy the entire database folder into this GDAK folder so in the above exmaple you would end up with the folder

...\GDAK\Home

and in this folder there are 4 files (sqlite.db3, etc). If you database is big then the copy can take a few minutes; so be patient until it is done. It could take several minutes for a moderately large database.

Two more steps are required:

1. you now need to disconnect the phone from the computer because Android does not let the phone see the SD card while it is a USB drive to another computer.

2. start up GDAK and note the 4 big icons across the top. The third one with the solid triangle in a circle is the one that selects the database. If you do not see a database choice there, then the above did not work right. If all worked right, then you can select a database and you are ready to go caching.

If all fails, bring it to my event on Saturday and I'll take a look at it. That advice should work for all geocachers - take your stuff to your local geocaching event and "pretend" like you need help and see just how many folks just love to help you; you'll make some new friends at the same time.

gee I just bought a galaxy 3 pad on Monday and I am totally lost even after reading this thread

The ultimate goal is to find the folder of your GSAK data that is named the same as the database you want in GDAK (exaple: if you want to the "Default" databse in GSAK, copy C:\......\GSAK\data\Default *) and copy it to the GDAK folder on your tablet/phone.

* The drive letter may be different in your case, depending where you installed GSAK, and the "....." would be your path to t he GSAK folder.

There can be some complications to finding the GDAK folder on your device which I noted previously. To help with moving things around on my phone, I use the ES File Explorer app. But be careful with that. It will let you do a LOT of things you shouldn't do unless you REALLY know what you are up to.

I am convinced this isn't going to work.

I am going across the country for the holidays and thought GDAK might be nice to have functional on my Samsung Galaxy 10.1 since I won't be near my PC. I do use a Garmin 62SC and have caches loaded for the area which is how I cache any way, my phone is too dumb for that.

I have tried copying my GSAK data for Arizona where I will be. I see the data in GSAK using Windows Explorer, it has todays date and time that GSAK ran it, and probably about the right file size 21M, I copy the folder, I see the tablet, I see the GDAK folder, PASTE it.

These are the files:

LOG.HTM

Notes.txt

settings.ini

SQLite.db3

In the paste process to the tablet I get an error message Cant copy to the device as it has been disconnected or has stopped working. Nope not that.

How I got my local Western NY area to load into GDAK and working I don't know.

Isnt technology wonderful