where can i find geotrails in canada ?

mead2006

Welcome to Geocaching mead2006,

There are a few out here on the Canadian Prairies - Three Hills, and Cold Lake in Alberta and Middle Lake in Saskatchewan quickly spring to mind. Our favorite "power trail" is the 13 caches we found on a 7 hour hike in the Ministik Bird Sanctuary SE of Edmonton.

Check your local geocaching group for some ideas.

mwellman from Alberta

If you mean power trails there are quite a few in southern Ontario. There's one north of you in the Cheltenham area.

Personally I feel they hog good trails especially when kilometers of the trail are taken up with cheap containers and mostly cheap micro containers. They are often in poor shape too because maintaining hundreds of poor quality containers is too big a project. Placing hundreds of swag-size watertight containers would cost too much.

Not that I mind a trail with plenty of caches. But what I prefer is a trail with:

• a variety of cache owners,
  • a variety of cache container styles,
  • good water tight containers,
  • preferably plenty of swag size containers
  • a variety of cache hiding styles,
  • maybe a few micros in locations that can't support a larger cache and where the micro is clever is some way,
  • cache owners who maintain those caches in a timely fashion,
  • cache description write-ups that are not all cookie-cutter style

If you do mean "power trails", there are a few much closer to you than Alberta. :D

These aren't the same "power trails" as the ET Highway, by any means:

--look for the caches with the word BPACH in the title:

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/nearest.aspx?key=BPACH&submit4=Go

--down near London, look for the caches placed by Jacks2u

Once you're on a geocaching map from either of those searches, zoom out a couple of times and you'll see thre trails forming.

the kind i'm thinking is from this post

http://forums.Ground...howtopic=255568

Ohhhhh. Not power trails. Interesting:

They are a series of caches placed for the purpose of earning a coin/coins. Well, they are placed with the purpose usually of bringing tourisim to an area. For instance
thread about the Allegheny Geo Trail (AGTs). 10 counties participated in it. For each county you had to find at least 6 of the participating caches and use the stamp inside to mark your passport (which you could pick up at any of the counties chambers of commerce or send away for). When you completed a county you could bring your passport in to the office and get a trackable coin for that county. Once all 10 counties were completed the participants were eligible for an 11th coin.

the kind i'm thinking is from this post

http://forums.Ground...howtopic=255568

Ohhhhh. Not power trails. Interesting:

They are a series of caches placed for the purpose of earning a coin/coins. Well, they are placed with the purpose usually of bringing tourisim to an area. For instance
thread about the Allegheny Geo Trail (AGTs). 10 counties participated in it. For each county you had to find at least 6 of the participating caches and use the stamp inside to mark your passport (which you could pick up at any of the counties chambers of commerce or send away for). When you completed a county you could bring your passport in to the office and get a trackable coin for that county. Once all 10 counties were completed the participants were eligible for an 11th coin.

Parks Canada has geocaching challenges at Fundy National Park in New Brunswick, and along the Trent-Severn Waterway in Ontario where you can earn a geocoin for your efforts.

i recently found out about these geotrails but cannot find any for canada does anyone know of any in canada ?? there like these ones

http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=255568

In Prince Edward Island , the Greenwich section of the PEI National Park has a four-part trail which takes you on a hiking tour of that part of the Park. There's a cache with log to sign at each of four places. It's about 2 hours of hiking to finish and at the end you can claim a quite nice geocoin from the Parks Interpretive Centre. My wife and I did this one in August and quite enjoyed it. It is only available in summer however.