iPhone App - Does it work ?

MrCJDL

Hi All,

Read about Wherigo ages ago and thought it sounded pretty cool, but had no compatible device. Saw that an iPhone app had recently been released by Groundspeak so downloaded it and tried a few 'play anywhere' carts (nearest physical location carts are about 50 miles away).

Anyway, I've tried 3 different carts, and none of them seem to work properly:

http://www.Wherigo.com/cartridge/details.aspx?CGUID=bfd37754-624c-40f3-9e7d-e82b95681715

Geocaching Trivia - Completed it, followed the upload instructions as posted here, and I get an error saying that the save file does not reflect that it was completed.

http://www.Wherigo.com/cartridge/details.aspx?CGUID=8793db7a-2f98-4d6a-b14a-a03f954f8a7b

The Cacher Integrity Test - Completed 20 questions, got Q21, and there's no button to answer the question. Quit the cart, loaded it back up and I have a green 'Upload Unlock File' button - so attempted to do that, got same error as above.

http://www.Wherigo.com/cartridge/details.aspx?CGUID=ba4e29c9-b720-4d4b-a833-698872c2a4f5

Robin Hood - Attempted to play this, set up myself as a player, cart just crashes the app when I try to play it.

I suppose my question is: Does the iPhone app for Wherigo actually work ? If so, what am I doing wrong... or are these 'carts' at fault ?

Disappointing to say the least, I'll probably give another few of them a go before deleting the app and forgetting about it... but I'm certainly not going to travel 50 miles to do a physical WiG, if I don't know that this app actually works ?

Thanks for any thoughts/advice ?

Cheers,

Chris.

I suppose my question is: Does the iPhone app for Wherigo actually work ? If so, what am I doing wrong... or are these 'carts' at fault ?

Yup, it works. I would argue it works at least as well as, if not better than the Garmins. It's hard to tell what's happening with the carts you played. The first one seems to have given other people problems. Can't tell with the other two.

Try these Play Anywhere carts. I have successfully done them with the iPhone app.

1) Wherigo Player Tutorial

2) A Vegas Riddle

Hi All,

Read about Wherigo ages ago and thought it sounded pretty cool, but had no compatible device. Saw that an iPhone app had recently been released by Groundspeak so downloaded it and tried a few 'play anywhere' carts (nearest physical location carts are about 50 miles away).

Anyway, I've tried 3 different carts, and none of them seem to work properly:

http://www.Wherigo.com/cartridge/details.aspx?CGUID=bfd37754-624c-40f3-9e7d-e82b95681715

Geocaching Trivia - Completed it, followed the upload instructions as posted here, and I get an error saying that the save file does not reflect that it was completed.

http://www.Wherigo.com/cartridge/details.aspx?CGUID=8793db7a-2f98-4d6a-b14a-a03f954f8a7b

The Cacher Integrity Test - Completed 20 questions, got Q21, and there's no button to answer the question. Quit the cart, loaded it back up and I have a green 'Upload Unlock File' button - so attempted to do that, got same error as above.

http://www.Wherigo.com/cartridge/details.aspx?CGUID=ba4e29c9-b720-4d4b-a833-698872c2a4f5

Robin Hood - Attempted to play this, set up myself as a player, cart just crashes the app when I try to play it.

Disappointing to say the least, I'll probably give another few of them a go before deleting the app and forgetting about it... but I'm certainly not going to travel 50 miles to do a physical WiG, if I don't know that this app actually works ?

Thanks for any thoughts/advice ?

Cheers,

Chris.

I believe that file may not have a "mark cartridge complete" command written into it.

Marking a cartridge complete on the Wherigo site does not really do much. It will still show up in search results, it also has nothing to do with actually finding the geocache either and logging it on the GC site.

I say if you played the cartridge and it works, then you should be good to go. Don't worry too much about "completing it" or "unlocking it" on the Wherigo site.

In my very limited experience; yes the iPhone app works, but there are bugs/compatibility issues (as there seems to be with all players).

The first one I tried to play failed during a dialog "scene"; there should have been a chain of messages and responses at the first stage, I only got the first one and then an error message.

I've created my first cartridge, and I found that when I would show a message to the user, if I didn't explicitly add a "button script" to bring the player somewhere, bad things would often happen. I didn't have any issues testing on the emulator, but saw problems on the iPhone.

The Wherigo app was 3rd party at first, "PiGo", but Groundspeak bought it and made it official. There haven't really been any updates to that app for quite some time. There really should be. There are a few compatibility issues with its handling of LUA code. :(

While Groundspeak did purchase the app, its original developer is still in charge of making updates to it. This is my understanding of the situation.

The Wherigo app was 3rd party at first, "PiGo", but Groundspeak bought it and made it official. There haven't really been any updates to that app for quite some time. There really should be. There are a few compatibility issues with its handling of LUA code. :(

It was updated in the App Store on 12/14/2011 and there's a pending update to address an item action issue.

It was updated in the App Store on 12/14/2011 and there's a pending update to address an item action issue.

Ah true, forgot about that. I guess I meant no 'noticeable' updates ;)