? Etrex legend

Team Pixos

I've read threads, read comparisons, and am still confused.

I cache with my iPhone, but would like some safety involved.

Canadian tire has a etrex legend on sale $99 from $149

Is that a good unit? Good price?

Do you have to buy extra maps for it?

Does it have to be connected to a computer?

Is it paperless?

***can it be used to place caches with accuracy?

It says WAAS compatible, what does that mean?

That's the gps we started out using, and yes, it's fine for finding and placing caches. (At that sale price, I'm tempted to get another one. Thanks for pointing it out to me.)

We never used anything more than the maps it came with and the maps that are provided by Groundspeak on the cache pages. We've done some "backcountry" caching and never felt the need to have anything extra.

What extra maps you can buy will probably only be good for city streets, especially when it comes to Canada.

It is definitely NOT paperless. But, again, that never presented us with a problem. All depends on how you want to go caching.

WAAS explained:

http://www8.garmin.com/aboutGPS/waas.html

Not paperless, so I would recommend getting a cheap used PDA off EBay for that. Of course there are also many options for printing cache information that don't use so much papaer.

You don't NEED to connect it to a computer, but manually adding waypoints is no fun and prone to mistakes...so you will probably WANT to connect it to a computer for waypoint uploads.

I am totally new to geocashing and i know nothing about GPS. I have been looking for a cheap GPS too and Legend was one of my options, i just need to know can i add simply add the latitude/longitude and that's it, or how do i get the co-ordinates into the gps? I tried finding that on the internet but couldn't find it..

Edited by Tourist-4ever

I started out with an eTrex Legend HCx (HCx is the model with the high sensitivity chip, color screen, and micro SD slot; It also has USB interface). It worked great. I placed all of my caches using it. It is not paperless, but had an easy to use interface and worked quite well. I mounted it to my handlebars to track all of my bike rides. It came off once and hit asphalt at 15mph and survived. As far as maps, it has a very basic map included. There is a website where you can download tons of free maps, including topo maps (which I had). Unfortunately, I lost it and have since purchased an Oregon 550. The Oregon is great, but I have no regrets on the Legend. I hope whoever found it is enjoying it.

Legend HCx

Pros: small, easy to use, accurate, AMAZING battery life, waterproof, free maps

Cons: no altimeter, no compass, not paperless

Edited by secretagentbill

This model was introduced 10 years ago and has a serial (Not USB) interface which will require an additional adapter to link to most modern computers. I'd recommend spending a few dollars more and get the updated model for $125 (with shipping) which has a USB interface and more memory.

http://www.gpscity.ca/garmin-etrex-legend-h.html

If it's not USB, I second the above.

The adaptor you need to get serial/USB seems to be getting expensive, and not all the newer computers connect to the drivers needed to use the adaptor...

Not sure what that reply is aimed at? But you're right :)

However some of us had moved on to wonder whether the OP really meant the Legend H (which is of course geocaching friendly, I had one).

The OP stated that she is talking about the Legend that is in the current Canadian Tire flyer, and is on sale for $99.99.

This is the flyer:

http://www.canadiantire.ca/AST/browse/5/SportsRec/3/GPSCompass/HandheldGPS/PRD~0793884P/Garmin+eTrex+Legend+GPS.jsp?locale=en

I have no idea what Garmin means by "geocaching friendly". Do they actually mean "paperless geocaching"?

No, they say when they mean Paperless caching. Geocaching friendly means that it will load geocache locations and some notes but that's it, no logs, hints etc.

Hmmmm...we found quite a few geocaches using that unit, until we lost it in a moment of "I can't believe we did that!".

I guess I'm an old-fashioned cacher, in that I don't like just loading up a bunch of coordinates and heading out. I thoroughly investigate each potential search by reading the logs before deciding whether to load the cache into the gps or not.

The etrex Legend currently on sale at CT is old and discontinued. Upon further consideration, I've decided that $100.00 is still too much for it.

And I'm thinking that the OP wouldn't be happy with it, either.

Edited by Pup Patrol

it is one of the many discontinued units and Garmin says is NOT geocaching friendly, look under "Specs"

eTrex Legend

Ok, so if I use IE, I can get the link to work.

But that's kind of stunning. Our blue Legend worked just fine for geocaching.

I have no idea what Garmin means by "geocaching friendly". Do they actually mean "paperless geocaching"?

i would think so

(unneeded quotage deleted)

i would think so

No. As Sussamb said, when they mean paperless geocaching, they say paperless geocaching. Some Garmin models are geocaching-friendly without offering all the functionality of paperless caching. I think it means they can accept .gpx files, but you only get the barebones information--cache name, location--not the description, hints, or logs.

No. As Sussamb said, when they mean paperless geocaching, they say paperless geocaching. Some Garmin models are geocaching-friendly without offering all the functionality of paperless caching. I think it means they can accept .gpx files, but you only get the barebones information--cache name, location--not the description, hints, or logs.

No GPX files. The following is from www.gpsfaqs.org

What is geocaching mode?

Geocaching mode on the GPS allows you to mark a cache as 'found'. It changes the icon and creates an entry in the calendar.

What is required to use geocaching mode?

Choose menu-menu-setup-geocache. Pick the icons you want for unfound geocaches and found geocaches. Configure your software to send geocaches with that icon. Now when you find-geocache, it will present a menu of ONLY the waypoints with an icon that matches your unfound geocache selection. When you have found the cache, just select "found" and the unit will change the icon, making it disappear from the nearest unfound list.

If this is the same clear-blue Legend, no, it cannot use GPX files directly.. Main reason, it is limited to Garmin's proprietary data, which would require converting data from the GPX file, to waypoint data the device would understand. (a simple utility like EasyGPS, for example.) but the data would just be the location, and a minimize name. Even detail info is limited. (I used to use GSAK to export the data as code for the waypoint name, the detail info was just the 1st few chars of the hint.) the Legend HCx, however was capable of storing track data in gpx format to the SD card, but that's as far as it went on GPX understanding.

I'm not saying the legend is a bad GPS, Far from it! It was the 1st GPS I had, that had WAAS capability, and it helped is narrowing-down on cache locations. Garmin hadn't released the 'H" chipset yet, so it still wasn't perfect, but I think I found my 1st 100 caches with mine.

Also, you're limited to a Serial I/O. the 4-pin flat connector, is power (+3V) & TTL RS-232 (older style serial I/O). if you're using a newer computer, you'll have to find either a RS-232-C to USB adapter, or I believe there is now a direct-line USB to Flat (has the RS-232C level converter built in.).. and it's super slow compared to USB!

I read the manual again.. It had space for up to 1000 waypoints, but JUST that 1000! No child (parking, trailhead) additional waypoints., uness the combined data (caches & waypoints) equaled to 1000, max.

Garmin retired the model years ago.. though, Old Blue (my Legend) still finds caches just fine!

The one I bought is the etrex legend h

Looks like it does have a USB not serial

But wondering about

Magellan triton 400

Or

Magellan explorist 500 LE

As a former Magellan user.....NO!

No on the Legend, too. Serial port, small memory and crappy reception under trees.

If you have $100 burning a hole in your pocket, I'd suggest the new Etrex 10. No memory for maps, but it is a USB unit and is already set up for full paperless. They sell new for just over $100 US.