anything wrong with using google maps for geocatching ?

mead2006

Using Google maps is how I found my first couple of caches and there is nothing wrong with it at all. It is a good way to find out how great geocaching is without having to buy anything. I now use my nokia 5230 to find geocaches, but still use google maps to check the area before I go as it gives you some things to look out for.

i'm a new geocatcher i have not got my gps yet but is there anything wrong with using Google maps and the clues to geocatche ??? i usually put the cords in Google maps or Google earth to see where it is and then use the clue or my eyes to find it

Almost of my first 111 caches have been found using maps and aerial photography. It works really effectively to get you to the right area most of the time - and then your eyes need to take over anyway.

Try clicking on the Dynamic label on the little map on the cache page - and then go to "Hybrid" and zoom in. You can drag the street view icon in as well if you've got coverage of that.

I found hundreds of caches using the satellite view of Google Maps before I finally bought a GPSr. All the GPSr does is get you to ground zero, where you can start searching. If you can get to ground zero some other way, that's fine. There's nothing wrong with that at all.

But as others have indicated, the guidelines require cache owners to "visit the geocache site and obtain all the coordinates with a GPS device."

best ways to learn that the hider's coordinates were off.

ehhh... it might be the best way to show the map is "off", assuming of course, that the GPSr was used properly.

Using maps is fine. There are a number of cachers that have not used a GPSr for any/most of their thousands of finds. sure they have been at it a while and have fine-honed their techniques (some don't bother at all with Google maps).

How you get to or find the geocache really doesn't matter. As stated previously, placing a hide requires the use of a GPSr to obtain the coordinates.

Expect disappointment, it is part of the game. It's also part of the learning curve.

Good luck.

Just to try it, I punched in the coordinates for a cache to Google Maps, Street View and Earth to see what I came up with. I ended up with all of them on a street behind a wall to a parking lot. It turned out that the cache was in the parking lot - our GPSs were in agreement with the CO's.

I think whatever method we use when starting out, it is never quite so easy as we hope - we just have to learn to be patient. It comes....usually when you are more relaxed about things!

I find the aerial views better than a GPS for urban caches. This is one of the best ways to learn that the hider's coordinates were off.

Out in the woods, the satelite views are pretty much worthless.

I think that depends upon the woods :-)

Dense big old blocks of woods, yep, usually - you need something to work off of really. Soon as you have some kind of key point to work from you can get in the right ballpark I think.

Just to try it, I punched in the coordinates for a cache to Google Maps, Street View and Earth to see what I came up with. I ended up with all of them on a street behind a wall to a parking lot. It turned out that the cache was in the parking lot - our GPSs were in agreement with the CO's.

I think whatever method we use when starting out, it is never quite so easy as we hope - we just have to learn to be patient. It comes....usually when you are more relaxed about things!

i have found quite a few this way but using alot of the clues and my eyes :) hidden some too this way but mostly lampost ones you can get the cords if you go to an area and right click "whats here ?"

Edited by mead2006

i have found quite a few this way but using alot of the clues and my eyes :) hidden some too this way but mostly lampost ones you can get the cords if you go to an area and right click "whats here ?"

Are you telling me all 5 of your hides are with Google Earth? You absolutely cannot do that, it is not allowed. I have seen many a cache archived by reviewers when it is discovered they were hidden with Google Earth. Most of them have been in the Province where you live too!! Don't worry, I won't tell anyone. :lol:

In order to place Geocaches I have checked my (old) Garmin Legend to a known geopoint and the unit if off 1m N and 1yd W. I now have 15 or so hides and before submitting them I verify the location with GoogleEarth just to see if everything is reasonable. I have found two instances where the Google "patches" do not align properly so if you were to use only GoogleEarth in these instances you would be off 30-60 feet.

I like to use GoogleEarth to scope the general geocache area for approach and parking.

Are you telling me all 5 of your hides are with Google Earth? You absolutely cannot do that, it is not allowed. I have seen many a cache archived by reviewers when it is discovered they were hidden with Google Earth. Most of them have been in the Province where you live too!! Don't worry, I won't tell anyone. :lol:

hopefully getting my GPS on friday if the guy on kijji ever gets back to me :unsure:

Edited by mead2006

i'm a new geocatcher i have not got my gps yet but is there anything wrong with using Google maps and the clues to geocatche ??? i usually put the cords in Google maps or Google earth to see where it is and then use the clue or my eyes to find it

See if you can find this cache (GC240DZ) using Google Maps. The cache is located along a very twisty road that runs through one of the rain forests in Costa Rica. The area is quite pretty and when I found the cache, it was a clear day. However, being a rain forest it's usually covered in clouds, which is pretty much all you're going to see in satellite photos.

Where I live*, I'd trust the coordinates cache hidden by a new cacher via Google Maps satellite imagery over one hidden via smartphone GPS. By a fairly wide margin.

*This opinion would not apply to many other areas

Funny, I just entered the world of Smartphone caching like last Friday, and the sucker read 5 feet at a cache today. :lol: I have been a critic of smartphone LOGGING (you know, TFTC and nothing else). Still the point remains that using Google Earth is against the guidelines. Again, don't worry about it Mead2006, good luck with the new GPS. Personally, I'd go out and check the coords of all five of your hides with the GPS when it arrives.

EDIT: oh yeah, I see you're talking about NY City there. I would agree.

Edited by Mr.Yuck