Etrex 20 Anyone know how to calibrate the compass? I'm between 20-40 ft off!

Compass errors wouldn't affect readings in feet either, they measure degrees (bearings).

So I'm guessing your problem is that your coordinates don't match your friends readings.

That isn't unusual even in identical units. Just out of curiousity, which of you are finding the caches?

Yours may be the more accurate GPS you know! You may benefit from checking that WAAS is enabled or not. Some places it makes a difference in the readings, others not so much. Around here I see about one metre most times at max. That could be because it is being ignored (GPS will give you what it thinks are the best possible coordinates based on the information it gets) or simply that there isn't much difference.

Also what were your friends using for GPSrs? That can make a difference as well. Much of the time it is just that your box is listening to a different set of satellites and slight differences in the calculations made.

Doug 7rxc

Edited by 7rxc

We double checked the coordinates numerous times, and we were all right on. My husbands GPS is a Lowrance and my daughters in another Garmin 550. They are definately finding the caches...I'm off chasing...I don't know what??!! And, yes WAAS is enabled. Thanks for your quick answers, and I guess we'll try it again!! Happy Caching!!

Hey everyone...Love my Etrex 20, but am having a problem with it being accurate at all. When out with fellow cachers it seems that I'm always 20 to 40 feet different from them. Is there a setting I need to change, or a way to calibrate the compass?? Thanks in advance!!

I had this same issue. You first want to make sure that GLONASS is ON, then you want to navigate to SETUP>ROUTING,

Then make sure it is set to make routes for Pedestrian, lock on road is set to OFF.

I run mine with GPS and GLONASS on and WAAS/EGNOS off. I find my Etrex 20 is far more accurate than my older Etrex Legend, and when it's claiming accuracy of 10 feet (which is pretty much the norm) I'm that close or nearer to the cache. If after a few more tries you still find that it's inaccurate it may be worth doing a hard reset.

I stand corrected you are in the UK should look before I leap.

Edited by Davequal