What's Going to Happen When High-Accuracy GPS is Cheap?

Let's see..... I hide a cache using my GPSr to find the coords and we know it may have an error factor. You come along with your high accuracy GPSr and zero in right on where my coords say the cache is BUT... no cache because of the error.

I don't foresee everyone running out and getting a new GPSr just because the latest and greatest is super duper accurate.

Let's see..... I hide a cache using my GPSr to find the coords and we know it may have an error factor. You come along with your high accuracy GPSr and zero in right on where my coords say the cache is BUT... no cache because of the error.

I don't foresee everyone running out and getting a new GPSr just because the latest and greatest is super duper accurate.

The assumption is that between 2014, and 2020, the new accurate system will be cheap enough to attract the herd of buyers.

Why you are assuming that the person who hide the cache use old system, and the person seeking the cache use a new system.

Edited by TheArabianHunter

For construction jobs this new system should significantly reduce the cost and reduce errors.

But for geo-caching, I don't know if it is enjoyable to locate a catche that you know it's location within a centimeter.

As long as Groundspeak doesn't start providing more digits after the decimal point for their coordinates, they will only ever be accurate to about one meter at most.

But I'm not geocaching because I like finding stuff without knowing where it is. I'm geocaching because I like finding stuff that I do know where it is. That's the whole point of having coordinates. Sometimes coordinates are bad, sometimes reception is bad. Those circumstances don't make geocaching more fun - if anything, they make it frustrating. So higher accuracy would be a benefit.

But I'm not geocaching because I like finding stuff without knowing where it is. I'm geocaching because I like finding stuff that I do know where it is.

It is good that different people have different perception of this sport, and they practice it for different reason. And I appreciate the divers application of the geocaching.

For me the interesting part is the fact that I exercise without knowing. Inaccuracy in the location means more work. For me, it defeats the purpose of the sport when I can locate the cache just like that.

Looking for the unknown (It wouldn't be unknown for accurate devices) is part of how we evolve. It fills the thirst of seeking the unknown when we locate the cache. Again for accurate device all this part is gone.

Edited by TheArabianHunter

For construction jobs this new system should significantly reduce the cost and reduce errors.

But for geo-caching, I don't know if it is enjoyable to locate a catche that you know it's location within a centimeter.

The only solution I could think off is to hide the cache off-set by few meters to keep the mystery.

I agree with TheArabianHunter,I performed an test with my friends gps's.I used my surveying equipment and a trimble geoxt to find a location.I tested for 30 days, same times,same weather,samelocation and 3 times daily.I tried to upload a pic ,but, too much trouble.I found starting with a garmin legend 8' from location,,geomate jr.8.5'from location,,bushnell 350 8' from location,,,delorme pn 30 3'from location,,delorme pn 20 1'from location,,,garmin vista H 1' from location.All were averaged separately at end for results.I can't see why anyone would need to be closer to find a cache.One other interesting thing was the legend was west of location,the geomate,delorme30,delorme20 and vistaH were north of location,the bushnell was east of the location.

The assumption is that between 2014, and 2020, the new accurate system will be cheap enough to attract the herd of buyers.

Why you are assuming that the person who hide the cache use old system, and the person seeking the cache use a new system.

First off I said "I hide a cache" so I know I'm using a GPSr under the "old system".

And I said you come along with your new fangled, high tech, super accurate GPSR just for the sake of conversation. This is a conversation about new, high-tech, super accurate GPSrs vs present day GPSrs..... isn't it??

So it will be like other electronic devices, there is a floor through which prices will not fall. Think back 10 years when the cheapest hard drive was $70 and 8GB. The cheapest is still $70, but it has grown to 1.5GB.

Well, it will not be quite the same for handheld GPSrs, however. The prices will be the same as today, but they will enhance perceived value but making them all designer models, like the Martha Stewart model for geocaching and the Lance Armstrong model for bicycle touring, etc. :unsure:

I agree with TheArabianHunter,I performed an test with my friends gps's.I used my surveying equipment and a trimble geoxt to find a location.I tested for 30 days, same times,same weather,samelocation and 3 times daily.I tried to upload a pic ,but, too much trouble.I found starting with a garmin legend 8' from location,,geomate jr.8.5'from location,,bushnell 350 8' from location,,,delorme pn 30 3'from location,,delorme pn 20 1'from location,,,garmin vista H 1' from location.All were averaged separately at end for results.I can't see why anyone would need to be closer to find a cache.One other interesting thing was the legend was west of location,the geomate,delorme30,delorme20 and vistaH were north of location,the bushnell was east of the location.

So let me get this straight...you did all this, but uploading a pic was the part that was too much trouble? :D