Log Deletion

I've just had something happen to me that has never happened before. I've had a DNF log deleted.

Obviously, it really doesn't matter stats-wise or otherwise to me. But get this...this cache apparently had been missing and there was a note placed on the cache page by a reviewer on 10/31/11. The canned message,

"It looks like your cache has been under the weather for some time. While I feel that Geocaching.com should hold the location for you and block other cachers from entering the area around this cache for a reasonable amount of time, we can't do so forever. Please either repair/replace this cache in the next couple of weeks, or archive it so that someone else can place a cache in the area, and cachers can once again enjoy visiting this location."

So today the CO enables the cache with a note, "All fixed!" but seems to have literally deleted every log (EVERY log) except the original "published" and the reviewer's note.

I can't remember how many finds were on that cache but...this doesn't seem right. And if it was a find of mine vs a DNF that this CO deleted, I'd be most unhappy and probably be sending a note to TPTB about having it reinstated.

And yes, I have sent a message to the CO and am awaiting a reply. I am hesitating to post the GC number until I give them time to respond.

But has this ever happened to anyone else? Is there any legitimate reason why a CO would want to do this? :huh:

So today the CO enables the cache with a note, "All fixed!" but seems to have literally deleted every log (EVERY log) except the original "published" and the reviewer's note.

My guess is the CO doesn't understand the difference between re-enabling a disabled cache and replacing an archived cache. His/her thought process probably was "Well, the container and logbook are new so it's a new cache so I better clean up those old logs so it starts fresh."

This is one of those "Never seen that before!" moments. :blink:

My guess is the CO doesn't understand the difference between re-enabling a disabled cache and replacing an archived cache. His/her thought process probably was "Well, the container and logbook are new so it's a new cache so I better clean up those old logs so it starts fresh."

This is one of those "Never seen that before!" moments. :blink:

Just what I was thinking!!! :blink::blink::blink:

This isn't a newbie cacher. Over 600 finds and 20 caches placed. A run through the gallery shows a young-looking guy, probably a teen cacher. I'm hoping it was just a misjudgment on his part.

I'm tempted to try and repost my DNF (even though it is sort of lame to worry about a DNF :laughing: ) but I don't want to get into any kind of problem with him because I've logged several of his caches and really don't want those finds deleted too.

Not such a big deal for you (or so you think), but what about those legitimate finds? I'd say the reviewer (or someone higher up) needs to get involved with restoring those logs! :mad:

We have had some challenge caches requiring XX number of DNFs, so that DNF might be more important than you think! :unsure:

That's why in my OP, I said I'd be most unhappy if it were a find of mine he deleted. :)

I've had a DNF deleted before. It was a year or so ago whenever Groundspeak had turned off deletion notifications for a few months, so I didn't catch it right away.

Most or all of her caches had really bad coordinates. There was one in particular that was at a trailhead on a rail-trail that I frequent. The coordinates led you off the trail, through the woods, and seemed to even point a little further into a guy's yard. I didn't cross the property line, so just mentioned what I ran into in my DNF. Months later, I looked at the cache to see if I could glean any more hints from logs. ALL of the DNFs and notes had been deleted. There had been plenty that complained about the coords. Only the finds remained. I eventually found the cache and posted good coordinates, as did somebody else. She must have thought that all of the DNFs made her cache look bad or something, because you just couldn't get one to stick, LOL. Fortunately, the cache went missing, the CO ignored the NA log, and keystone got rid of it.

I know COs are responsible for deleting bogus logs. I'm just trying to figure out how many DNFs are bogus...LOL

That would suck if they deleted a find as I am working on a streak and many days only have time for 1 find. One deleted would mess it up and if it happened a few days after the find I'm not sure I would be able to remember what one it was. Today was my first letter box find. It looks like it counts so I didn't find another. That one was wet and in the wrong spot.

-WarNinjas

In your statistics it keeps a log of how many days you have gone with finds. I have gone and found at least one every day for over 100 days. If someone later decided to delete one I would be starting over with my streak. That would kind of take the fun out of making sure I take the time to find one every day. In the big picture it would do nothing but I find the challenge of finding at least one a day fun to keep the streak alive and if I lost that I would probibly not feel the need to go everyday. If it was on a day I found more then 1 I also would not notice.

-WarNinjas

So I was just wondering why it would suck so bad if someone did delete one of your finds. I like to play the game but not sure i would even know it if they did.

Maybe you wouldn't notice, but your little stat box at the upper right, would drop by one. You might notice it, but only if you really care.

The key to the situation is... many do care. Some take extra steps to have certain caches as their milestones. One CO deletes any of their finds, and it throws the whole list into disarray. For those that work diligently at "scheduling" certain caches for milestones, yes, it would be a problem. It's all in how one plays their game.

I also notified the reviewer who wrote back that he's having a dialogue with the CO.

The more I checked into the CO, I'm convinced he's a teen who made a wrong decision but nothing with malicious intent.

Good news.

I thought I'd post that contrary to some of the posters above me, I'd be just as unhappy to have a DNF or note log deleted as a find. These are all my history, my logs.

A "TB drop" note being deleted wouldn't bother me; on the occasion I post one (that moment just after you post your log when realize you forgot to drop the TB with it...) I'll try to remember to delete it myself.

Ok, I noticed someone else had reinstated their found log. So I reinstated my DNF log. I also notified the reviewer who wrote back that he's having a dialogue with the CO.

The more I checked into the CO, I'm convinced he's a teen who made a wrong decision but nothing with malicious intent.

We had a cacher who did the same thing. Replaced the cache, and deleted all the logs. A note to TPTB got all the logs quickly reinstated.

Ok, I noticed someone else had reinstated their found log. So I reinstated my DNF log. I also notified the reviewer who wrote back that he's having a dialogue with the CO.

Yeah well, it does make sense when you think about it. He put a new cache there and nobody had found this new cache yet (because he just put it there). So yeah, he needed to delete all previous logs, because after all it's a new cache. I think I'm gonna start doing the same thing! :lol:

Can a "note" log be deleted by a CO? I would be peeved if someone deleted a find of mine - if they didn't let me re-log I would contact Groundspeak. Hopefully, this is a mistake on this CO's part...........

Yes, a note log can be deleted. One of mine was, as well as a bunch of DNFs on the same cache. Brand new cacher--first hide and only 2 finds, which were posted after the hide. He did not delete the Found Its.

I reposted my note with a few additions including "please do not delete it again." So far it it still there. None of the DNFs have been reposted.

Yeah well, it does make sense when you think about it. He put a new cache there and nobody had found this new cache yet (because he just put it there). So yeah, he needed to delete all previous logs, because after all it's a new cache. I think I'm gonna start doing the same thing! :lol:

I have a feeling this cacher got a LOT of emails in his inbox in the last 24 hours. Talk about learning a lesson the hard way. Hopefully though, the learnin' will stick.

I have a feeling this cacher got a LOT of emails in his inbox in the last 24 hours. Talk about learning a lesson the hard way. Hopefully though, the learnin' will stick.

I am sure of that. So much for a honest mistake. :blink:

Is that what is called a self reinforcing delusion? :huh:

Well, today I received notification that a new cache, in the same location with the same name was published. I went back to the old deletion notice. He archived the old cache after changing the name of it.

At least the logs will stand (if people relog them) on the old cache. I can't really understand why he's doing all of this unless he just really wanted to start over with a clean slate and keep the original name of the cache.

He never responded to my email asking him why he deleted the logs. I guess it doesn't really matter at this point if he is allowing the old logs to stand (which I assume he was instructed to do by the reviewer). I guess he's just playing the game his own way.