Groundspeak Member Survey

mikemtn

to be honest, the survey question about the cost going to $39 is really a joke. First off, it was the most HUH? question in the whole survey, stuck out like a sore thumb. Secondly, do they really expect honest answers with that? How many folks would pay $39 when push came to shove, but would say no on this question because they don't want to admit it nor want to pay more.

Agreed. I'd have to have "stupid" tattooed across my forehead to admit what I am willing to pay to *anyone* trying to sell me something. :ph34r:

it depends on the situation, in this case i would say you would have to have "smart" or "common sense" on your forehead to admit you are willing to pay more

obviously nobody wants to pay more for anything, unfortunately inflation is a fact of financial life, the purchasing power

we all know that over the past decade the purchasing power has changed meaning all prices went up, yet the PM price has stayed the same

$39.88 is not a random number at all....it is the equivalent in 2011 of the $30 in 2000, taking into account inflation

my calculations yielded $39.53, which is pretty darn close

i used year 2000 because i am not entire sure when the PM was introduced, even if it was 2003 the value will be $36.99 which is still reasonable, because calculations are based on US inflation rate only

Edited by t4e

Inflation or not I would guess that many users would do the same analysis I would do. Is $40 worth stats, favorites and a forum (the features I use).... not at all. And in light of their ability to leave many projects unfinished, many bugs unaddressed and then doing this hideous roll outs of new things like challenges and souvenirs (sometimes accompanied by sometimes really bad PR).... I for sure wouldn't pay $40 (because reality is most consumers also roll up the cost to the next even number as well). At this point I would say $30 is pushing it.

Inflation or not I would guess that many users would do the same analysis I would do. Is $40 worth stats, favorites and a forum (the features I use).... not at all. And in light of their ability to leave many projects unfinished, many bugs unaddressed and then doing this hideous roll outs of new things like challenges and souvenirs (sometimes accompanied by sometimes really bad PR).... I for sure wouldn't pay $40 (because reality is most consumers also roll up the cost to the next even number as well). At this point I would say $30 is pushing it.

In spite of these problems, most of which I would have to agree with, I would (and will if necessary) pony up $40 a year in a heartbeat. I'm still getting all the features I once agreed to pay $30 a year for; they've added some new features over the years without raising the price; and, as a business that desires to make at least some profit, they have a right and a need (I presume) to adjust prices for inflation.

--Larry

In spite of these problems, most of which I would have to agree with, I would (and will if necessary) pony up $40 a year in a heartbeat. I'm still getting all the features I once agreed to pay $30 a year for; they've added some new features over the years without raising the price; and, as a business that desires to make at least some profit, they have a right and a need (I presume) to adjust prices for inflation.

--Larry

I, for one, am not getting the working maps I agreed to pay for....

Mrs. Car54

to be honest, the survey question about the cost going to $39 is really a joke. First off, it was the most HUH? question in the whole survey, stuck out like a sore thumb. Secondly, do they really expect honest answers with that? How many folks would pay $39 when push came to shove, but would say no on this question because they don't want to admit it nor want to pay more.

Agreed. I'd have to have "stupid" tattooed across my forehead to admit what I am willing to pay to *anyone* trying to sell me something. :ph34r:

it depends on the situation, in this case i would say you would have to have "smart" or "common sense" on your forehead to admit you are willing to pay more

obviously nobody wants to pay more for anything, unfortunately inflation is a fact of financial life, the purchasing power

we all know that over the past decade the purchasing power has changed meaning all prices went up, yet the PM price has stayed the same

$39.88 is not a random number at all....it is the equivalent in 2011 of the $30 in 2000, taking into account inflation

my calculations yielded $39.53, which is pretty darn close

i used year 2000 because i am not entire sure when the PM was introduced, even if it was 2003 the value will be $36.99 which is still reasonable, because calculations are based on US inflation rate only

Paying more because of inflation is reasonable. But personally I think they should reduce the PM fee. Every premium feature is broken is some manner and instead of fixing what is broken they keep introducing new broken features. And when the bugs are reported mostly they go into review status never to be heard of again. Plus we have the odd and continuing availability issues. If the features were fixed and new features delivered mostly functional and working and good availability I would agree.

I wish I would have gotten a survey. Maybe it's time for them to discuss more than two levels. Have a free, and then break down many different paid options. Each level would include everything available at the lower levels as well.

Traditional: $5 = Off Topic, Favorite Points, and Bookmarks

Multi: $15 = Notifications, stats, and map filtering

Unknown: $30 = Everything we currently have (Main difference is PQs and CAR)

Virtual: $40 = Everything plus beta testing some new new stuff. (VIP list, friend enhancements, even better maps, etc)

Right now it's all or nothing. Pushing it to $40 with no big new benefit many users will decide to drop down to basic which costs GS $30. My scenario allows those people to get what makes them happy while allowing GS to still make money. Win, win right?

where can I post to ask about souvenirs? --not to learn about them but to see if I can have one created for my trackable (if it gets to a specific place)

Only Groundspeak can create souvenirs, and they have put the project on the backburner.

I don't think they would want to get into creating souvenirs for specific trackables.