Groundspeak Member Survey

mikemtn

How am I supposed to know how long I've been a premium member, how long I was into Geocaching before I became a premium member and no telling what else. Am I missing something?

You're a "charter member"?

6.1. Charter Membership

A Groundspeak Charter Membership was a subscription level offered through Geocaching.com that has the same features as a Premium Membership. Charter Members were financial contributors to Geocaching.com in the first year that memberships were offered, and have continuously maintained this membership status since that time. Groundspeak thanks the Charter Members for that early and loyal support.

http://support.Groundspeak.com/index.php?pg=kb.page&id=182

And I'm assuming that your question is in reference to the Customer Survey that we were told about in the newsletter of October 13th:

Each October, the Groundspeak Lackeys commence planning for the following year. We want you to help us make sure we're on the right track.

In the next couple of weeks, you may receive a link via email to a survey titled "Groundspeak Member Survey." The sender is survey@Groundspeak.com and the email will be sent via SurveyMonkey.com.

We hope that those of you who receive the survey will take 5-20 minutes to complete it. The time depends on the level of detail you wish to provide in the open-ended questions.

It's been about a year and a half since our last major survey. In that time, 500,000 new geocaches have been hidden and the number of logs posted in a 30-day period has grown by more than 30%. In an activity growing so quickly, with thousands of people introduced to geocaching each day, a year and a half can mean a lot of major changes!

Thanks in advance for responding to the survey. And happy geocaching!

How am I supposed to know how long I've been a premium member, how long I was into Geocaching before I became a premium member and no telling what else. Am I missing something?

Just a wild guess (actually from my Profile)

Hello Cardinal Red

Premium Member

Since: 07/17/2004

And then it was simple math to determine the answer to the next question. And I acually thought the really dumb question was "Would you pay US $2.99 per month for a Premium Membership?" after having asked me how many months I had been a Premium Member.

And here are all those "no telling what else" survey details.

Greetings from Groundspeak!

We are trying to better understand our members so that we can improve our services, features and the general geocaching experience. We would greatly appreciate it if you could fill out this brief survey:

What is your primary language?

In which country do you live?

In which state/province do you live? (U.S. and Canada only.)

How long have you been geocaching?

Overall, how satisfied are you with your geocaching experience? (Please note - this is your experience with geocaching as a whole - not just with Geocaching.com.)

How many people (family members and/or friends) share your Geocaching.com account? (Be sure to include yourself in the number.)

On average, how often do you go geocaching?

How many geocaches have you found?

How many caches did you attempt to find before finding your first one?

Approximately how many geocaches did you find in your first month geocaching?

When was the last time you found a cache?

How many geocaches have you placed?

Have you ever used the Geocaching.com forums?

Have you ever used our feedback site? (http://feedback.geocaching.com)

Which social media sites do you use? (Check all that apply.)

Do you follow Geocaching.com on any social media sites? (Check all that apply.)

How are you involved in the geocaching community?

How many people have you introduced to geocaching? (Outside of your geocaching team.)

What percentage of these people are still geocaching today?

What is your primary geocaching device?

Do you own a smartphone?

How long were you into geocaching before you became a Premium Member?

For how many months have you been a Premium Member?

What prompted you to become a Premium Member?

Please let us know how often you use the following Premium Membership features. If you do not use a feature, please select "do not use."

Additional Statistics

Favorite Points

Caches Along a Route

Bookmark Lists

Instant Notifications

Map Filtering

Pocket Queries

If you selected "have never used" for any of these features, please explain why you have not used the feature(s).

What feature would you most like to see added to Premium Membership? (Please be as specific as possible.)

Would you pay US $2.99 per month for a Premium Membership?

Where did you first learn about geocaching?

How often do you visit the Geocaching.com website?

Overall, how satisfied are you with the Geocaching.com website (www.geocaching.com)?

If you could change one (1) thing on Geocaching.com, what would that be? Please be as specific as possible.

What is the best thing that Groundspeak has done in the past year? (Groundspeak is the company that runs Geocaching.com.)

How would you rate the ease of use* of Geocaching.com? (Think of this as how intuitive it is to complete the tasks you wish to complete on the website.)

Which of the following best describes you? [student / Employment]

What is your marital status?

How many children under the age of 18 live with you?

What is your gender?

In which age group do you fit?

What was your total household income in 2010? (U.S. dollars)

Do you know what Trackables are? (i.e. Travel Bugs and Geocoins)

Do you understand how Trackables work?

Have you ever owned a Trackable?

Please place any additional comments or suggestions in this field.

Thank you for taking the time to complete this survey! We hope that we can use the information gathered here to improve your geocaching experience in the future!

SurveyMonkey

I dunno, I guess I have a good memory. Joined August 2003, specifically remember becoming a Premium member February or March 2004. It was indeed a pain in the butt converting that to months as a premie in my head while in the middle of a survey though. :P

I agree power:

My age, my income, my marital status, how many kids I have is none of thier business.

What is your gender?

I agree power:

My age, my income, my marital status, how many kids I have is none of thier business.

What is your gender?

Well, no one is forcing you to do the survey. Just like every other corporate survey, if you don't want to give the info, don't.

I believe a "Charter" member is anyone that had a GC.com account within the first 1 or 2 years of the website going live. If you had to be a paying member in that 1 or 2 years to be a "charter" I don't know. I would think not but it's how ever TPTB decided to delegate that status.

Charter members are members who purchased a premium membership during the first year it was offered and have kept it current. It wasn't offered until around March 2002.

I believe a "Charter" member is anyone that had a GC.com account within the first 1 or 2 years of the website going live. If you had to be a paying member in that 1 or 2 years to be a "charter" I don't know. I would think not but it's how ever TPTB decided to delegate that status.

Charter members are members who purchased a premium membership during the first year it was offered and have kept it current. It wasn't offered until around March 2002.

There ya go...

There ya go...

Close enough for me, on to the next question.

yes, your memory :P

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing: I'm laughing at me too, as I have no idea when I became a PM. I remember completing a questionnaire back in the UK, and after filling in my name - Patricia xxxxx - came the question SEX. I answered "yes please." I had also circled the "Miss" out of the selection Mr, Mrs, Miss, Ms. I seem to recall it being a waste of everyone's time, so I had fun playing with bureaucrats.

that's what i found too

http://web.archive.org/web/20020309134316/http://www.geocaching.com/subscribe/

Here is the one question the survey boils down to..

Would you pay $38.99 for a premium membership?

I for one will not renew for $8.99 cents more!

The survey is all about sniffing out if they can get away with it!

Also you can't answer the question about how long with anything more than 100 months as a premium member.

My 2 cent's and damit I ain't going to pay NO more. :)

I would say I would possibly consider paying more but it would completely hinge on what usable things they were going to offer me as a premium member. With what I use right now fo the membership (which isn't much) I wouldn't anymore and have trouble justifying the expense as it stands now.

Also it would hinge on how they implement general changes to the site. If it continues to be a myriad of unfinished projects and shelved ideas to make room for secretive stuff that I perceive (since it's my money) to have little use like challenges and souvenirs I'm going to have a hard time with it because I'll question where exactly is my money going. It's certainly not going to fix bugs or existing projects and these projects that have been rolled out to me have been kind of eh and the methods of roll out has been annoying.

I would say I would possibly consider paying more but it would completely hinge on what usable things they were going to offer me as a premium member. With what I use right now fo the membership (which isn't much) I wouldn't anymore and have trouble justifying the expense as it stands now.

Also it would hinge on how they implement general changes to the site. If it continues to be a myriad of unfinished projects and shelved ideas to make room for secretive stuff that I perceive (since it's my money) to have little use like challenges and souvenirs I'm going to have a hard time with it because I'll question where exactly is my money going. It's certainly not going to fix bugs or existing projects and these projects that have been rolled out to me have been kind of eh and the methods of roll out has been annoying.

EXACTLY!

Color me disenchanted. <_<

What survey? Got link? :)

Greetings from Groundspeak!

We are trying to better understand our members so that we can improve our services, features and the general geocaching experience. We would greatly appreciate it if you could fill out this brief survey:

This link is uniquely tied to this survey and your email address. Please do not forward this message.

to be honest, the survey question about the cost going to $39 is really a joke. First off, it was the most HUH? question in the whole survey, stuck out like a sore thumb. Secondly, do they really expect honest answers with that? How many folks would pay $39 when push came to shove, but would say no on this question because they don't want to admit it nor want to pay more. Now, we are all going to be worried the costs will go up. Personally, I hated the question in every way as a member and as someone who used to process survey answers.

The rest of the survey seemed okay to me.

Edited by lamoracke

to be honest, the survey question about the cost going to $39 is really a joke. First off, it was the most HUH? question in the whole survey, stuck out like a sore thumb. Secondly, do they really expect honest answers with that? How many folks would pay $39 when push came to shove, but would say no on this question because they don't want to admit it nor want to pay more.

Agreed. I'd have to have "stupid" tattooed across my forehead to admit what I am willing to pay to *anyone* trying to sell me something. :ph34r:

I had no problem with the rest of the survey and answered everything honestly. No point in them thinking I am a poor 75-year-old woman if I want them to make a product that appeals to me as a middle-aged middle-income dude.

Earlier this week I filled out the survey the best I could---then, I logged on the last couple of days to record some finds and the darn format seems to have changed again. I would have answered some of my questions differently if I had known of the changes! (rankings would have been lower---do not like the changes) I don't get on the site often enough to keep up with the changes and it is so frustrating to not be able to navigate in my old comfortable way.

One thing I liked on the old format was being able to type in a city and state on "find and hide a cache" and it would give me the geocaches within a given radius...now I have to give zip codes or more specific information.

Also what happened to the logs of other cachers on caches???

I don't think there was a question regarding why do I keep paying for premium. I joined the Charter membership the first day that it was available (I think first day). I guess I was supporting the site at the time. Now it seems to me that paying to support the site would be like buying at Walmart to support the Waltons. Groundspeak appears to me to be a fairly big business now and should be supporting itself by offering value for the membership fee. Anyhow, maybe in a few years maybe I can sell my Charter membership on ebay if the price of memberships gets too high. I'd probably sell it today if the price was right. There's got to be somebody out there kicking their self for not getting in on the charter years. Sorry about this off topic essay, I'll shut up now.

They actually sent me one of those surveys. I kinda thought my account would have been on some Groundspeak blacklist. :laughing:

I know what you mean. I got one, too! Can you believe it? ME? You'd think that they would already have a pretty good idea of my opinions, wouldn't you? :anibad:

I did not rate one. I guess I will have to try harder.

I did not rate one. I guess I will have to try harder.

I've yet to get a survey. Not sure if it's location, usage on the forums or what.

As for the thirty-nine bucks...

If I could finally get "ignore all caches by owner" (one of the few "extras" I'd use), it may be worth it in search time.

Right now, my premium membership is so my other 2/3rds can get cache notifications. She also has her own basic account for all the geocoins she's accrued and to keep her terrain-rating sky high. :laughing:

We occasionally run caches on a route, but that's about it.

We have a budget and try to stay within it. We do have a number in mind and if it's ever reached, we're both basic.

I don't think there was a question regarding why do I keep paying for premium. I joined the Charter membership the first day that it was available (I think first day). I guess I was supporting the site at the time. Now it seems to me that paying to support the site would be like buying at Walmart to support the Waltons. Groundspeak appears to me to be a fairly big business now and should be supporting itself by offering value for the membership fee. Anyhow, maybe in a few years maybe I can sell my Charter membership on ebay if the price of memberships gets too high. I'd probably sell it today if the price was right. There's got to be somebody out there kicking their self for not getting in on the charter years. Sorry about this off topic essay, I'll shut up now.

Will you take a coupon for $.50 off Jiffy Pop popcorn? It doesn't expire for another 3 days.