New to Geocaching - overwhelmed on what to buy for a GPS!

Carmen38

Hello all....

I was just introduced to Geocaching and have been reading everything I can get my hands on about this...my kids think it would be really fun. I have been researching what kind of GPS to buy...and frankly...I'm overwhelmed! All I want is something to start out with that will be geocaching appropriate! Can anyone give me some advice/brands/etc. to buy!

Thanks

Carmen

What is your price range? Are you willing to spend more to get more options that you might want later but not quite ready for now? Any brand you favor over another?

Well, I was told that Garmin was very good.....I have been researching those....My price range would be about $150....not sure what options that I may want later :unsure: I just want something that will allow my kids and I to function well when we are out hunting!

Barometer, altimeter, compass along with a few more would be examples of functions that you don't need but might like to have in the future. The ability to use as a street navigation device, add maps (TOPO). The only reason I asked is that I'm one to buy over my needs to leave room to expand later on. If a basic handheld unit is all you'll ever have a need for and would like a Garmin under $150 US then the new eTrex 10 is the unit for you. If you can spend $200 (maybe less on some sites/sales) a eTrex 20 will get you the ability to add TOPO maps and adds a color screen.

If $150 is a hard limit, you can get a Magellan eXplorist GC that has a color screen, does paperless geocaching very well, and is fairly easy to use. The signal lock isn't amazing, but has been sufficient so far. You can not upgrade the map on it, but it has decent coverage on roads and hydrology features. It does not do autorouting (on road navigation...it only points you directly at the cache). The battery life is good, but not amazing. It was designed to be a starter GPS, and was designed specifically to support geocaching. (The first GPS to be designed like that.) Now, for full disclosure, I only own a GC because I broke my Garmin, and I should have another Garmin (60CSx...YES!!!!) delivered tomorrow (!!). I'll prolly get my wife another Oregon, or maybe a Montana, if she's good. LOL We like the ability to add maps, do autorouting, and more, that the GPS units above the low end have. But, like I said, if your figure is a hard limit, the GC is a decent device, and works pretty well.

Later!

Read, Read, and Read some more. Make a list of models you would like to consider in your price range and maybe a bit higher with a few extra feature. Find a knowledgable sales person who can field test the units with you. I was very lucky. The local REI store has GPS classes. I was able to work with the instructor/sales person. There happened to have a geocache in their parking lot. I was able to see how each unit functioned etc. For me, I hated the push button scroll features and smaller screen of certain Garmin models. I decided I wanted a touch screen which was waterproof, and had automobile routing ability, along with ability to load maps via chips. The Garmin Oregon ended up being my unit of choice. I caught a REI sale and saved over $100! I really like it because performs all the tasks I wanted. That is not saying it is the perfect unit for you. Only you can decide which unit is good for you.

I just started out by borrowing a friends eTrex. After a couple weeks I went to Amazon and found a used one for $70+ shipping. It is very basic and I print off or write down the pertinent info, keep a notebook, and off I go. My coords are most usually right on. Sure, I can't just go finding new caches on the field but I go out with a plan and when I find the ones I wrote down, I go home and do my chores or go to work. I might be old school but it works. It's a good way to figure out if this is really what you want to do. You can always resell the GPSr to upgrade.

I am hoping that I can upgrade to a Magellan eXplorist at Christmas (if my kids get the hints). But if not, I'll keep on getting my finds. One month into caching and I have over 130 finds.

Have you seen the geomate jr.? Under $100 and is no nonsense. You'll have to either research the basic area of the caches you wanna find first at geocaching.com or use a smartphone app to get you to area then use the geomate jr. to get to the cache itself. My 8 year old daughter loves hers and we're already using it more and my smartphone just to get to the area and offline logging.

http://www.mygeomate.com/

Your best bet might be to buy a low end unit to make sure you really enjoy geocaching. There are a lot of people who start out all excited and then move on after a few months. If it was me, I'd go with one of the new Garmin eTrex units, or even one of their older units. I used a Garmin Legend Cx for years before upgrading, and it worked just fine for me. The only drawback was no paperless caching with it. I still have the Legend, and use it when out biking.

I took a variety of suggestions people made on here at the time I bought mine. I think looked at their prices on a website I was going to buy it from. From there I pulled up the specs of all the possible units and had about 50 tabs. I made a list of what I need versus what I want and then what I have already.

Pared down my tabs accordingly and ended up at the 60csx which fully meets my needs in a satisfactory manner. I would suggest you kind of do the same and eventually you'll whittle down the list.

I have tried GPS applications for my BlackBerry and found them quite confusing, so I bought the eTrex 10 for $120 at Dick's Sporting Goods. It works great and so do the other eTrex models. My teacher and my friend both have the original eTrex, and that one works just as well, and probably costs less because it's older.

If you really are willing to spend 150 you should be able to het a nice used one off eBay. I snagged a delorme pn40 last month for under 100. WAS enabled, paperless caching, amazingly accurate, rugged, topo maps and everything I wanted. Do your homework and find one you like. I waited a year before I bought mine. I was a phoner for a year. So I asked all the local cachers what they liked and went out a few times with them and that helped me decide

Garmin paperless new for 124.

Garmin has a new paperless GPS out that is very inexpensive.

I have not tried it, but Garmin is the best GPS manufacturer for this game.

I've got two Garmins.

The first one I got was the low-end Garmin etrex. I still use it for it's absolute accuracy. I love it for that, but that's all it does. At least it does that well.

Then I got a Garmin 400T. The "T" is for Topo maps. I love the maps and it's paperless capacity, but my cheaper Garmin is better at accuracy when I need it.

You can cache for a while without a paperless GPS, but after a while it gets old.

When I was writing up the caches I'd look for in a day, I got so sick of that. I was spending 4 hours a week writing up caches for the weekend. UGH. It got to a point where I was going to get a paperless GPS or quit caching.

Now I've got paperless and am so happy.

I recommend getting a premium member account so you can create pocket queries. I can create a pocket query and download 500 caches in a few minutes now. I can download a whole area, so it doesn't matter if I'm not sure how many I'll be able to find. So many times I went out and found the ones on my list and had time for more, so I'd write up so many extras. I kept a file of the ones I'd written up but not found yet, and then shortly that file was out-of-date. Caches got archived or moved or whatever.

Check out that new Garmin paperless unit.

Also, I'm with that guy who suggested ebay. I've gotten a couple of GPS's off of ebay now, and it's been great and saved me a lot of money. Just make sure the unit is guaranteed to work with a good return policy.