What Garmin to buy? Montana 650t or GPSMAP 62stc?

Zeuz-V

Hallo all cachers,

I'm caching with my iPhone for a while now and want to buy a better GPS device now.

This is my first device, so i want to buy the best.

Now i'm looking for a Garmin, but don't know which one is better. The 2 I like the most (only by specs) are the Montana 650t and the GPSMAP 62stc.

Can someone tell me which one is better? I need a very accurate GPS signal in forests and so.

Hope one of you can help me choose ;-)

Greets Cameend

If you really like the touch screen of the iPhone, I would recommend the Montana because it is touch also. As far as accuraccy, I haven't looked at any comparisons for accuracy under cover. The Montana I think (guessing here) but teh Montana uses a patch antenna where as the 62 uses the tried and true quad helix antenna,. I have used the 60 Cx for years and under cover it was great but they have made great strides with the patch antenna accuracy over the past couple of years.

On the down side, the Montana is a handful. Great for my aging eyes and ATVing and mountain biking. plus it can double as a car GPS when used in conjunction with Garmins auto mount with built in speaker.

On a positive note, the Montana is highly configurable.

As far as geocaching with it, I have used many GPS's over the years and hands down, the Montana is the best I've used.

Unless you really want the 100K maps, I'd suggest saving a few bucks and avoiding the t version. I bought it (got it for the same price the model beneath it was going for), but they're not routable. You need the 24K for that. Other than that, really enjoy using it. It's so much faster at the start and the ability to customize your GPSr to the way you desire it to operate is great. It's bigger than you'd expect, but unless you have tiny hands, you should be fine. I had a 60 CSx prior to this and it was really dependable, but the touch screen vs. buttons is an important (for me anyway) distinction between the two.

I'm doing the exact same thing right now...weighing the 650 vs 62sc!

The 62sc runs about $100 less than the 650 and is smaller and perhaps a little easier to handle on the trail or with gloves and the antenna may get a little better reception for me in the Rocky Mountains (?)......so I'm trying to decide if I want a bigger unit, bigger screen, and a touch screen for that $100....my eyes are bad enough that I need my reading glasses for either model.... This is for the family and we are "occasional" geocachers and perhaps get out a few times a month....so I'm not sure I'll really be logging a lot of notes which the touch screen would be a + for. I picked up a Dakota 10 on Quibids for $5 and it included the City Navigator which I can use on both I think and I'll probably use the Dakota 10 when I travel for business since its so small.... Ughh....hard to say and I just can't make up my mind.....it may just come down to price for me....but today I'm leaning toward the 62sc....? :blink:

I guess my other question is which model will have more expanded features as they improve firmware...?

I would also recommend not getting the 'T' models. The 1:100K topos they include give you contours about every 100' which is not very good for hiking. You can download FREE 1:24K topos from GPSFileDepot which have contours that are 20' apart.

Also consider the Montana 600 if you don't need the camera. For any of the Garmins you can get free routable street maps at OpenStreetMaps.org but I prefer the Garmin City Navigator product.

I previously had a 60Csx and currently use the Oregon 300. For me, the bigger screen and touchscreen interface make the Montana my choice...hoping to pick one up soon.

I played with a Montana today and for hiking the Montana is not that good.

Its heavy and bulky.

Unless you want to carry the unit in a pocket or with a lanyard around your neck you will get your hand tired pretty quickly and the hike will not be pleasant.

The big screen is nice thou and the 5megapixel camera is also a plus, but overall Im keeping my 550. I rather feel that Im not carrying a heavy rock on my hand when Im out on the trails.

The camera will geotag the picture for you. Not that that's a huge deal, but it's something extra. The Montana can double as a speaking turn by turn navigator (you'll need the mount)whereas the 62 beeps. I don't know how many more features the 62 series is going to be able to incorporate in the future, but there's room for improvement on the Montana. Most of the bugs appear to have been worked out, meaning they might be able to spend more time implementing some newer ideas.

I carry my Montana in a small camera case with a carabiner attached when I'm searching for a cache (already at GZ) or when I'm hiking and know where I am. When I want to mark a spot or do a location check, out it comes. 95 percent of the time, the Montana is right on (+/- 10 ft.). The other 5 percent is when I'm in a densely forested area and/or at the bottom of an area that has lots of elevation changes. I carry my 60 CSx with me as a back up as well and in those places, it's off just as much. I have trails downloaded from GPSFileDepot.com.

When placing hides, they're both close, but the Montana has been more consistently close upon return trips to verify the coordinates before publishing. For reference, I use my Montana, the 60 CSx, and my EVO when placing hides to get as many readings as possible initially. I'll return again with all 3, but pay particular attention to the two dedicated GPS units to see if my averaged coordinates match up. Finally, right before I submit the cache for publication I come back out again with just the two GPSr's to get a final average on both so I can make any changes if necessary. 9 times out of 10 the Montana is the closer of the two.

I haven't found the two extra ounces over the Oregon to be problem. It is larger but if you want a bigger screen it has to be. Did 9 miles yesterday with it hanging off my camelback wit.h no problem. I don't think you would regret getting it. If you want to try it out just buy it from a place with a solid return policy.