My First Find

LoudmouthLee

Hi Everyone,

So, it starts. Another hobby for me. I go through hobbies like I go through underwear. It's sad, but I really can't stay with anything. I obsess over something for a while, and one of 3 things happen.

a. I become really good at it and keep it.

b. I become really good at it, but drop it anyway.

c. I suck at it so hardcore, I abandon ship.

So, with that in mind, I went for my first find yesterday after my friend and co-worker, farrug, did her best to sell me on geocaching. I decided to stop at a "beginner" hunt... y'know, to get my confidence up. The amount of muggles around were high, but the hunt was right by my house...

I couldn't find it. It wasn't there. There was no way it was there at all. I spent 30 minutes looking for something anyone could find... and I didn't find it. I was upset. Could I be really this bad at something? I had nightmares of little children, barely able to read, finding that cache that I couldn't find for the life of me.

I spoke to my co-worker again today and told her the story (ripe with the histrionics of this message as well.) She laughed hysterically. I decided it was time to blow a lunch hour and try a nearby hunt.

I get to the location, and every muggle in a 5 block radius was there. Almost like a barricade. I waited them out, and made my first find. I ran back to my car like I just smuggled loot across the border. I opened up the cache and signed the log. I swear my hand was trembling.

I looked inside and found a little plastic gold medal... it said "winner" on it.

At that point, I knew it was fate.

-LoudmouthLee

Edited by LoudmouthLee

This story was very entertaining. I vote for option A.

The trembling of the hands is due to a condition called geocachingisfuntivitus. There is no known cure. :)

[[i had nightmares of little children, barely able to read, finding that cache that I couldn't find for the life of me.]]

That would not be surprising, as they have a "clean slate" - no pre-conceived ideas about what it should look like or where it should be hidden. Little kids are fantastic finders!

Edited by knowltonGeo

Well done! That's a nice little souvenir for your first ever find.

Don't worry about not finding a few caches, especially when you're new to the game. We still log DNFs (Did Not Find) from time to time... then, inevitably, the next 'Found It' log says something like, "My aged, half-blind chihuahua found this one in the dark..."

MrsB :)

This is a great little hobby. I am definitely afraid of it interfering with my personal life. Case in point:

Today, I needed to run a quick errand on a work break. I only have 40 minutes for my work break, and as a teacher, you cannot be late back.. not even a minute.

As I was driving, I was stopped at a red light. My iPhone called out to me... "Lee... check. I'm sure there's a cache somewhere around here..." I told my phone that I had other things to do... but it just wouldn't listen.

I made it back to work on time, thankfully. I just neglected to complete the errand I set out to do. :)

This is a great little hobby. I am definitely afraid of it interfering with my personal life. Case in point:

Today, I needed to run a quick errand on a work break. I only have 40 minutes for my work break, and as a teacher, you cannot be late back.. not even a minute.

As I was driving, I was stopped at a red light. My iPhone called out to me... "Lee... check. I'm sure there's a cache somewhere around here..." I told my phone that I had other things to do... but it just wouldn't listen.

I made it back to work on time, thankfully. I just neglected to complete the errand I set out to do. :)

It's always nice to see people that have their priorities straight!

House on fire...

geocaching...

House on fire...

geocaching...

hmmm.....